American

Default Entry refused

I am a Canadian permanent resident for past 4 years, expecting my
Canadian citizenship soon. I have travelled to USA in the past 4 years
and have a 5 year multiple entry visa.

A couple of days back i was refused entry into US since the
immigration officer was not convinced of my ties to canada. Could
someone please answer whether it effects my future entry into USA,
what remedies do i have and also what precautions should i take.

Thanks

Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:37 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry refused

Originally posted by American
I am a Canadian permanent resident for past 4 years, expecting my
Canadian citizenship soon. I have travelled to USA in the past 4 years
and have a 5 year multiple entry visa.

A couple of days back i was refused entry into US since the
immigration officer was not convinced of my ties to canada. Could
someone please answer whether it effects my future entry into USA,
what remedies do i have and also what precautions should i take.

Thanks
A visa only gives you permission to knock on the door, and ask to come in.

It sounds like you were refused for failing to overcome the presumption that you are an intending immigrant. Everyone is considered to be an immigrant until they can prove otherwise.

If you were merely refused entry (I-160A) and not formally ordered removed, then you are not barred from reapplying. If they didn't cancel your visa when you were refused then you should be okay. Becoming Canadian will allow you to apply for admission without a visa, but you're still applying for admission.

You should collect evidence of your ties to Canada and go back to the border and ask to speak with immigration. Don't just drive up to see if you can get through as this could create problems for you. Show them as many recent months of pay stubs from your Canadian employment as you can. Also bring evidence that you have a residence. Bring phone, electric, cable, water, gas bills etc in your name. If you're a student, show them evidence that you are currently enrolled somewhere, are attending classes, and paying tuition.

You should continue to travel with an updated folder containing evidence of ties to Canada. The alien is required to prove that they are admissible to the U.S. and the immigration officers don't have to prove anything.

Good luck.