Entering USA, Vague Return Flight

Old Mar 14th 2015, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

heyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering USA, Vague Return Flight

Hi there.

I posted here a while ago about finding a way to live in the States, but instead we - me and my USC GF - have decided to go to Canada as getting a visa is straightforward (and it's beautiful!).

However, we'd still like to spend some time in the States before we go to Canada. We were thinking of going at the end of May for the full 90 days permitted by the VWP. When that time is up, I'd travel to Canada and activate my visa (or enter as a tourist if the paperwork isn't quite complete).

I know that I have to be able to prove I have onward travel from the US if I want to be admitted, and that could be difficult with my current plan. I won't have a return flight, at least not one that falls within 90 days after I enter. I also won't have too many ties to the UK (my Canadian visa is for 2 years, after all).

Would I be likely to experience difficulties at border patrol, even if I do have the Canadian visa? Would I be better to return home after my trip to the states before I go to Canada?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 5:16 pm
Prophet of doom.

dkveuro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Entering USA, Vague Return Flight

Call the authority at the place you are going to cross and ask if you qualify for a trip to USA.

A Canadian acquaintance of mine just came to OK from Ottawa with a waiver and had two weeks to return to Canada. He calls DHS and they have given him 180 days total.

The border officer has the final say at the time. You need PROOF you are domiciled outside the USA and have funds to not be a liability to the USA while here.

You need you passport obviously and any paperwork or documentation to show you are not going to stay or work.

If you fail to do so you will be turned back. If you get into the USA and over stay 180 days or more you will get a 3 year ban on entering the USA.

Make a couple of calls...cheaper than being refused entry.

Old Mar 14th 2015, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heyseus
I know that I have to be able to prove I have onward travel from the US if I want to be admitted...
You must have proof of onward travel, yes.

... and that could be difficult with my current plan.
The solution is simple: alter your current plan.

Would I be likely to experience difficulties at border patrol, even if I do have the Canadian visa?
If you can demonstrate that you'll be leaving the US within 90 days, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2015, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkveuro
Call the authority at the place you are going to cross and ask if you qualify for a trip to USA.
I suggest you continue to post in the Trailer Park... because US immigration really isn't your forté.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2015, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The solution is simple: alter your current plan.
Ian
More specifically, buy a return ticket (which will quite probably be cheaper anyway) and then either return to the UK before going to Canada or change / cancel / just don't use the return filight.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

heyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
More specifically, buy a return ticket (which will quite probably be cheaper anyway) and then either return to the UK before going to Canada or change / cancel / just don't use the return filight.
I think this plan is best.

Edit: Thanks for all the help!
Old Mar 14th 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

There is such a thing as a fully refundable airline ticket.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Yes, and they are, typically, the most expensive fares that you can buy.

I suspect that buying the cheapest available round trip ticket and not using the return flight will, in very many cases, be cheaper than buying a fully refundable ticket and getting a refund on the unused return flight or, for that matter, buying two one way tickets and getting a refund on the one that you didn't actually intend to use.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. When I went to the US last autumn, my return route or date was not certain. I bought a fully refundable return flight home which I never intended using. I was asked for this proof by immigration and they were satisfied by it. I cancelled ticket for full refund as soon as got to my hotel from the airport. Makes the whole thing a bit of a farce really.

I did not stay past the 90 days nor did I intend to, but I knew having a booked return flight was easier than trying to explain that my plans were vague and not certain yet.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 12:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Exactly. When I went to the US last autumn, my return route or date was not certain. I bought a fully refundable return flight home which I never intended using. I was asked for this proof by immigration and they were satisfied by it. I cancelled ticket for full refund as soon as got to my hotel from the airport. Makes the whole thing a bit of a farce really.

I did not stay past the 90 days nor did I intend to, but I knew having a booked return flight was easier than trying to explain that my plans were vague and not certain yet.
Just out of curiosity, what was the net cost of your flight to the US? (Cost of refundable ticket - refunded amount.)
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know exactly how much a completely refundable ticket is, but I bet it's out of my budget!
Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Just out of curiosity, what was the net cost of your flight to the US? (Cost of refundable ticket - refunded amount.)
My flight TO the US? I booked a one way flight in using airmiles. If I was booking using cash, it would certainly be cheaper to buy a return ticket and not use the return leg - as others have mentioned.

I think the OP does plan to use his return flight though, just not within 90 days. Therefore his cheapest option would be to pay for his round trip flight as normal and then book a fully refundable one way flight back home within the 90 days to show to CBP if asked. That is if he has the funds to buy the ticket and wait until he gets his refund back.

I bought my return flight as a one way refundable flight with American Airlines. It was about £900 for economy (expensive). I believe some airlines including BA charge a cancellation fee even on refundable fares, but AA are known for not doing this - read fare rules carefully! I got the full amount back.

Last edited by Enigma368; Mar 17th 2015 at 9:27 am.