Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Entering US whilst DS-230 is processed?

Entering US whilst DS-230 is processed?

Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about
Default Entering US whilst DS-230 is processed?

Hi,

My wife and I are being sponsored by our daughter for an immigrant Visa. The case is now at the consulate in London. We have not yet received any paper work from the embassy. We had hoped to go on a family vacation in the US on the 21 September (hoping that the visa would be issued by this date).

We are thinking of entering the US on the visa waiver scheme for the duration of the vacation (3 weeks). The only proof we will have of none immigrant intent (on this particular visit) would be the return airline ticket and the fact that the case is already at London. Our justification for admittance would be that it would be pointless at this stage to ruin our chances of a legitimate entry by staying beyond the 3 weeks.

What are the opinions of the experts here on our chances of convincing the immigration officer at our point of entry that we should be allowed in on a visa waver?

Any and all comments/advice welcomed.

Thanks

Tiny
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default Re: Entering US whilst DS-230 is processed?

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
Hi,

My wife and I are being sponsored by our daughter for an immigrant Visa. The case is now at the consulate in London. We have not yet received any paper work from the embassy. We had hoped to go on a family vacation in the US on the 21 September (hoping that the visa would be issued by this date).

We are thinking of entering the US on the visa waiver scheme for the duration of the vacation (3 weeks). The only proof we will have of none immigrant intent (on this particular visit) would be the return airline ticket and the fact that the case is already at London. Our justification for admittance would be that it would be pointless at this stage to ruin our chances of a legitimate entry by staying beyond the 3 weeks.

What are the opinions of the experts here on our chances of convincing the immigration officer at our point of entry that we should be allowed in on a visa waver?

Any and all comments/advice welcomed.

Thanks

Tiny

Hi

You are right , in that it would be pointless for you to JUMP ship, so to speak but to be on the safe side I would take

1. Proof from you employer (if you have one) letter to say this is just a vacation and your job is held for you to return to

2 Proof of of home ownership/mortgage/utility bills/ and other ties to the uk

3. Any documentation from consulate to say case in progress

Hopefully you should be fine

The immigration guys at the airport are a law unto themselves. It does not matter if you have a visa or not. If they do not like the look of you they can deny entry and not have to give a reason

The only people who are entitiled to see lawyer at airport are people who claim asylum

I am sure you will be fine , so do not worry too much