Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada Without Birth Certificate or Passport

Entering Canada Without Birth Certificate or Passport

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 3:47 pm
Aaron K. Thompson

Hello:

I am a Canadian citizen pursuing studies in Oklahoma. I have an F1 student visa, and
drove to Oklahoma from New Brunswick, Canada. When I entered the United States, I
presented my driver's license and birth certificate.

I'm presently trying to obtain a passport while I'm in the US. In order to do so, I
will be sending my birth certificate to the Canadian passport office later this week.
I am hopeful the passport and birth certificate will be returned to me by the end of
April because I am planning to drive back to Canada after I'm through exams (the last
day of April). If for some reason my passport and birth certificate do not return to
me before I plan to depart, is there any sense in me leaving? Do I require my birth
certificate to re-enter Canada, and then come back to the States after I am through
my visit? I know I required the birth certificate to obtain my F1 visa, but will I
need it again?

Thanks for responding.

-Aaron

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 5:05 pm
Stuart Gill

Not sure about the entry without the birth certificate and/or passport but I would
think that without some form of proof of Canadian citizenship you will be unlikely to
make it through.

However, I just renewed my Canadian passport from here in the US. I sent my
documents off by FedEx on a Thursday and my new passport along with my old passport
(voided) and my birth certificate arrived at my home on the Friday of the following
week (a week and a day later). I was very impressed. They promise to process in 10
business days.

Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 10:35 pm
Daisy

Stuart, did you use the office in Hull to accomplish this?

Daisy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Hello:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a Canadian citizen pursuing studies in Oklahoma. I have an F1[/usenetquote2]
student
[usenetquote2]> > visa, and drove to Oklahoma from New Brunswick, Canada. When I entered[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > United States, I presented my driver's license and birth certificate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'm presently trying to obtain a passport while I'm in the US. In order[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > do so, I will be sending my birth certificate to the Canadian passport office[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > later this week. I am hopeful the passport and birth certificate will be returned[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to me by the end of April because I am planning to[/usenetquote2]
drive
[usenetquote2]> > back to Canada after I'm through exams (the last day of April). If for[/usenetquote2]
some
[usenetquote2]> > reason my passport and birth certificate do not return to me before I[/usenetquote2]
plan
[usenetquote2]> > to depart, is there any sense in me leaving? Do I require my birth certificate to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > re-enter Canada, and then come back to the States after I[/usenetquote2]
am
[usenetquote2]> > through my visit? I know I required the birth certificate to obtain my[/usenetquote2]
F1
[usenetquote2]> > visa, but will I need it again?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks for responding.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -Aaron[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 3rd 2001, 5:38 pm
Stuart Gill

Yup it all went through Hull. It appears that any passport issuing in the US is now
handled through Hull. All that the passport office needs to do now is issue 10 year
passports like almost every other country in the world and I'll be happy as well as
impressed.

Stuart

[usenetquote2]> > > Hello:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I am a Canadian citizen pursuing studies in Oklahoma. I have an F1[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > visa, and drove to Oklahoma from New Brunswick, Canada. When I entered[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > United States, I presented my driver's license and birth certificate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I'm presently trying to obtain a passport while I'm in the US. In order[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > do so, I will be sending my birth certificate to the Canadian passport office[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > later this week. I am hopeful the passport and birth certificate will be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > returned to me by the end of April because I am planning to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > back to Canada after I'm through exams (the last day of April). If for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > reason my passport and birth certificate do not return to me before I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > to depart, is there any sense in me leaving? Do I require my birth certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > to re-enter Canada, and then come back to the States after I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > through my visit? I know I required the birth certificate to obtain my[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > visa, but will I need it again?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks for responding.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > -Aaron[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 5th 2001, 2:12 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Keep in mind that if they issue 10 year passports, they'll also double the
price of them.

Old Apr 5th 2001, 6:06 pm
Stuart Gill

That's ok - the extra costs with doing the whole thing (pictures, courier, and notary
public) are almost what it cost for the passport and the hassle factor is pretty
high. Throw in the fact that if you travel a lot you often need to renew maybe 6
months early because many countries won't issue you a visa if your passport has less
than 6 months left. Besides most other countries only want about 50% more for their
10 year over their 5 year passport (i.e. Japan).

Stuart

in message

[usenetquote2]> > Yup it all went through Hull. It appears that any passport issuing in the US is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > now handled through Hull. All that the passport office needs to do now is issue[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 10 year passports like almost every other country in the world and I'll be happy[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > as well as impressed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Stuart[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >