Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Entered US on VWP after Tourist Visa Denial?

Wikiposts

Entered US on VWP after Tourist Visa Denial?

Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

onscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud of
Question Entered US on VWP after Tourist Visa Denial?

I was wondering if anyone has been denied a tourist visa to the US in the UK due to "not strong enough ties" but went on the Visa Waiver Program for a short trip and was let in? Different lawyers have told me different things. One said it should be okay, one said definately not.

If you did get in, what documents did you use to prove social/economical ties? We're at a loss here.

Can anyone help?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entered US on VWP after Tourist Visa Denial?

Originally Posted by onscreendiva
I was wondering if anyone has been denied a tourist visa to the US in the UK due to "not strong enough ties" but went on the Visa Waiver Program for a short trip and was let in? Different lawyers have told me different things. One said it should be okay, one said definately not.

If you did get in, what documents did you use to prove social/economical ties? We're at a loss here.

Can anyone help?
I think you should move to England......
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:10 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?
You've posted about different aspects of this elsewhere, but.....

things like owning property in the UK, having a job in the UK, any other contractual or legal obligations that would strongly induce the person to stay, such as custody of children resident in the UK, etc.

but if I understand the situation correctly, your boyfriend/fiance does not have any of these things.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:26 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?
basically the lawyers keep telling you different things because.

it depends
a) if the POE officer is a nice guy
b) if the POE officer is a jobsworth
c) if the POE officer got laid the night before
d) if the POE officer asks the right questions to land suspected immigrant in the shit

basically how long is a piece of string?
no-one knows until the bloke with the passport walks upto the immigration booth and has a chit chat with the officer.

He could be with you in 10 mins eating McDonalds, or he could be on the next flight back to Heathrow........

who's to know, if we knew definitively what the future held, we'd be asking for 6 numbers between 1 and 49 for the powerball next week.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think you should move to England......

I think she will continue to ask this question until she gets the answer she would like to hear.

So let me cut out all the dross in between:

***Absolutely, if your boyfriend wears a nice suit and tie, answers all questions politely in the Queen's English, AND the officer got laid by a 19-year old JeLo lookalike the night before, he WILL get in.***

I hope this clears this up.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?
You have everything against your case. You're going to have to decide whether to take a chance. Leaving via Dublin would at least minimize the inconvenience. Don't enter at Atlanta or Philly to name but two.

The only reasonably sure entry to the US is a US citizen -- provided our emperor does not decide to label you an enemy combatant!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

onscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud ofonscreendiva has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Entered US on VWP after Tourist Visa Denial?

basically the lawyers keep telling you different things because.

it depends
a) if the POE officer is a nice guy
b) if the POE officer is a jobsworth
c) if the POE officer got laid the night before
d) if the POE officer asks the right questions to land suspected immigrant in the shit

basically how long is a piece of string?
no-one knows until the bloke with the passport walks upto the immigration booth and has a chit chat with the officer.

He could be with you in 10 mins eating McDonalds, or he could be on the next flight back to Heathrow........

who's to know, if we knew definitively what the future held, we'd be asking for 6 numbers between 1 and 49 for the powerball next week.
I understand I've seemingly asked this question numerous times, I was just hoping to hear some wonderful story of a guy who was denied a tourist visa, and let in on the WVP. Ahhh, one can dream, can't she?

We've sorted a better plan, though. He will keep his job and just come for two weeks, giving him his big tie to the UK. I'll go back to school and we'll visit back and forth until our visa goes through.

By the way, was that a sly "fat American/McDonalds" reference? HaHa... it never gets old :P
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:54 am
@matthewb76

By the way, was that a sly "fat American/McDonalds" reference? HaHa... it never gets old :P
not really, it was just the first thing that popped into mind, and that most airports tend to have a few of them.

if I wanted to call you fat I would have.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I was just hoping to hear some wonderful story of a guy who was denied a tourist visa, and let in on the WVP. Ahhh, one can dream, can't she?
Here you go....

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...05/1001/COMM02
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:03 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't enter at Atlanta or Philly to name but two.
Actually, I've never had a problem at Philly.
Even took a HUGE chance on coming back after my 1 year extension had expired when I was waiting on my I751..........but my mum had died, so what was I to do?
I was just waved through like I got off Air Force One.

worst was Detroit Metro........
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

not really, it was just the first thing that popped into mind, and that most airports tend to have a few of them.

if I wanted to call you fat I would have.
It was kidding. It's not offensive, I just hear fat American jokes all the time over here.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

...worst was Detroit Metro........
What happened, pray!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:09 am
Septicity

It was kidding. It's not offensive, I just hear fat American jokes all the time over here.
We all get to enjoy the ones about the bad teeth.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Even took a HUGE chance on coming back after my 1 year extension had expired when I was waiting on my I751..........but my mum had died, so what was I to do?
I was just waved through like I got off Air Force One.

worst was Detroit Metro........
I didn't think anyone traveled to Detroit. It's becoming quite a hole.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:15 am
Septicity

Only place I ever had a problem back in my GC days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.