English House sitting in America

Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English House sitting in America

Lot of benefits in going the internal transfer route.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
.... Find yourself a USC girlfriend, fall in love and get married. ..... if it works, it's the easiest way! ......
I dispute that!
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

> (i) You can't apply for a visa from within the US, ever.

I am probably being overly picky in mentioning this but I believe that, technically, this is untrue. I applied for and obtained a student visa while I was in the US. Mind you, this was decades ago...maybe things have changed.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sri Pete
> (i) You can't apply for a visa from within the US, ever.

I am probably being overly picky in mentioning this but I believe that, technically, this is untrue. I applied for and obtained a student visa while I was in the US. Mind you, this was decades ago...maybe things have changed.
Interesting

Which consulate did you get it from?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

I got it from the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service, as it was then). No consulate was involved.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

Did you do a change of status at the time? Perhaps you arrived on a tourist visa?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I got it from the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service, as it was then). No consulate was involved.
INS / USCIS does not issue visas. Perhaps you just changed your status.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that, technically, this is untrue.
No, it's not.

I applied for and obtained a student visa while I was in the US.
A visa is a travel document only. You can't get a visa while inside the US. Why? Because you're already inside the US and a visa is a travel document.

It's more likely that you received a change of status.

I got it from the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service, as it was then).
Visas are issued by the US Department of State... not by the (former) INS. Neither INS nor USCIS issue visas.

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for and obtained a student visa while I was in the US. Mind you, this was decades ago...maybe things have changed.
If it was truly decades ago -- in the 1970s -- you couldn't come to the US without a visa, so you would have changed status.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

What I had was indeed a change of status as I entered with a tourist visa that I obtained at the consulate in Edinburgh. I always understood it and talked about it as a change of visa but maybe I was wrong to do so. Thank you for clarifying the terminology for me. I remain puzzled however because, during my years as a student in the US, I left and re-entered the country several times so whatever I got must have served as a travel document too, no?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I entered with a tourist visa that I obtained at the consulate in Edinburgh.
What was the validity period of the visa... 5 years? 10 years?

I remain puzzled however because, during my years as a student in the US, I left and re-entered the country several times so whatever I got must have served as a travel document too, no?
Without having a specific F-1 visa, it's possible that you entered on a tourist visa each time (assuming the visa itself was still valid) but you thought you were being admitted as a student. If that's the case, then you were going to school illegally in the US - because you were never actually admitted in F-1 status. You would have been fine during the time between the initial change of status (COS) and the moment you left the US the very first time after the COS... but thereafter, if you didn't have an F-1 visa, you should not have been attending school. If you did have an F-1 visa, then you got it at a US Consulate abroad between the first time you left the US after COS and the next time you entered.

Since, from what you've written, this all happened well before 3/1/03... I shouldn't worry about it now - although some people will likely be furious that I've just made that comment.

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest a working holiday visa in Canada.

International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

I am familiar with a similar scenario in the UK, could not be bothered to get a Student Visa and entered as a visitor.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

I have no memory of how long my tourist visa was valid for or of whether or not I ever had an F-1 visa in my passport. This all started over 45 years ago. In retrospect, from what you say, it does seem possible that I was illegal in some way although I certainly never either intended to be nor had any notion at the time that I might be. Indeed this is all a rather shocking revelation to me.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... In retrospect, from what you say, it does seem possible that I was illegal in some way although I certainly never either intended to be nor had any notion at the time that I might be. .....
They were more innocent times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.