Wikiposts

Employment question

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 4:41 am
Just Joined

spookychick13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment question

My fiance has his interview at the Embassy in London next month, then he'll be moving over (Hooray!)

Approximately how long does it take for people to get approved to work??

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment question

Originally posted by spookychick13
My fiance has his interview at the Embassy in London next month, then he'll be moving over (Hooray!)

Thanks!
If he enters the US through JFK, he will most likely get the temporary 90 day Empl Authorization stamp. However, it's only valid for 90 days, and if his 1 yr EAD hasn't been approved before those 90 days, technically his employer will have to let him go because he'd be working illegally.

My fiance has the 90 day stamp and has been applying for a few positions. Hopefully if he gets a job, he will also get the 1 yr EAD within those 90 days (but highly unlikely given processing times).

You have to apply for Adj. of Status before you can file for work authorization. To apply for AOS you have to be married. Depending on the backlog at the office you apply at, I've heard it can take anywhere from 3 weeks to well over 90 days to get the EAD approved.

Good luck!
Jamie
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Can you apply for a renewal of your temp EAD when your first one expires? or is it just a one-time thing?

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
If he enters the US through JFK, he will most likely get the temporary 90 day Empl Authorization stamp. However, it's only valid for 90 days, and if his 1 yr EAD hasn't been approved before those 90 days, technically his employer will have to let him go because he'd be working illegally.

My fiance has the 90 day stamp and has been applying for a few positions. Hopefully if he gets a job, he will also get the 1 yr EAD within those 90 days (but highly unlikely given processing times).

You have to apply for Adj. of Status before you can file for work authorization. To apply for AOS you have to be married. Depending on the backlog at the office you apply at, I've heard it can take anywhere from 3 weeks to well over 90 days to get the EAD approved.

Good luck!
Jamie
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:15 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chessiet
Can you apply for a renewal of your temp EAD when your first one expires? or is it just a one-time thing?
It's just a one-time thing. You would need to apply for a full 1 yr after your temp one runs out.

Kate. xxxx
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 7:32 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

We got married shortly after I arrived to the US. We applied for AOS and EAD about a month after the wedding, and I received my EAD a little over a month after that. So in my case it took about 3 months. But it took me over a year to find a job - so go figure...