Wikiposts

Employment based visas

Old Apr 5th 2015, 10:16 am
Just Joined

looking2immigrate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment based visas

Hello I got a question concerning the employment/work visa. I'm actively looking for a sponsored job in the US. I've looked on various websites for jobs that are specifically sponsered by employers however I haven't found any job I'm interested in. Therefore I'm thinking about applying for a job I'm not really interested/ which is not suitable for me if it means getting the green card as I really wanna live & work in the US asap on a permanant basis. My question is if I apply for a job that is unsuitable or I'm not interested in & the employer agrees to sponsor me can I then quit my job after a few months or a year (once I've got the visa & adjust my status to permant resident) & then look for another job that I'm genuinley interested in?? If the employer hires me & sponsors me for a work visa how long do I have to stay in the job if I don't like it?? Am I free to leave when I want or how long do I have to wait before leaving??
I know it looks like I'd be cheating but I really can't find any suitable jobs which are sponsored for an employment visa?? All the sponsorship jobs I've found are either out of my area of expertise or are not suitable for me so no judgements please
Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by looking2immigrate; Apr 5th 2015 at 10:27 am.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment based visas

I'm not sure what you are looking at. I assume you are looking at a H1-B visa and those jobs have to be applied for in the first week of April for work starting in October plus there is a quota that is normally significantly oversubscribed. There is also a substantial cost (lawyer's and visa fees) to the employer. Therefore for an employer to wait that long and spend that much money, you'd have to be a near perfect fit with experience that they are having problems finding employees in the US to be offered a job. So I don't understand why and employer would offer you a position that would be either out of your area of expertise or are not suitable for you.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 10:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You've got a lot of jumbled thoughts in there. It is unusual to get from any sort of work related visa to a green card in less than 3-4 years, and 6 or 7 years is common. The exceptions are employment based green cards (EB visas), which are only slightly more common than hens teeth, and you need to have special qualifications, skills and experience to stand any chance of one of those.

What is it you do, what qualifications do you have (a degree is pretty much essential), ..... and why are you so desperate to live in the US?
Old Apr 5th 2015, 10:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can accept a job you don't really want, as long as you and the job are both qualified for the visa. It's up to the employer to sponsor your green card once in the USA, so get a specific date in your employment contract (the date they will begin the green card process), otherwise the employer can drag their feet and never apply. Be ready to stay in a job you don't like for at least several years.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2015, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Before anyone launches into too much info, the OP already received the lot in his original thread from January.

looking2immigrate: Unless something has substantially changed, you will not qualify for a work visa at all. I would save worrying about whether you are really excited about the job until you have an offer...
Old Apr 5th 2015, 12:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Before anyone launches into too much info, the OP already received the lot in his original thread from January.

looking2immigrate: Unless something has substantially changed, you will not qualify for a work visa at all. I would save worrying about whether you are really excited about the job until you have an offer...
Thanks Retzie. I hadn't realised that the OP was making a second lap around the block.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 12:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looking2immigrate
I really wanna live & work in the US asap on a permanant basis.
What you want is irrelevant. Unless something has changed significantly since you posted in January, you have neither the education nor the experience to get a visa that will bring you to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I really can't find any suitable jobs which are sponsored for an employment visa?
That is because you have neither the education nor the experience to qualify for an employment visa.

All the sponsorship jobs I've found are either out of my area of expertise or are not suitable for me...
That is because you have neither the education nor the experience to qualify for an employment visa.

I suggest you either go back to school and get a university degree, or get 10-12 years of work experience in an area that a prospective employer might find suitable. Unless you're prepared to do one or the other, please don't waste our time asking about an employment-based visa which you're not qualified to get.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in a different variety of jobs such as: Hotel Porter, Data entry Clerk, Gatekeeper & Mail sorter however I'm not sure if these jobs would qualify for an employment visa??

I'm currently unemployed & I could find/get a job & do a transfer to the US however I'm looking to immigrate to the US sooner rather than later
Nuff said
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

OK, bottom line and home truths time...

You will NOT find a company willing to invest thousands of dollars and wait for at least 8-10 months for any of the 'skills' you have (basically none!).
You will NOT be entering the States on an employment-based visa.
You do NOT have any options here, so the chances of coming here as anything other than a visitor (provided you have a clean record) are slim to none.

UNLESS you find and marry a US citizen - and the only reason to do this is for love, NOT a green card!

Does that answer all your questions?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
OK, bottom line and home truths time...

You will NOT find a company willing to invest thousands of dollars and wait for at least 8-10 months for any of the 'skills' you have (basically none!).
You will NOT be entering the States on an employment-based visa.
You do NOT have any options here, so the chances of coming here as anything other than a visitor (provided you have a clean record) are slim to none.

UNLESS you find and marry a US citizen - and the only reason to do this is for love, NOT a green card!

Does that answer all your questions?
That is a pretty subtle summing up i reckon
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:33 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

The original thread was a good laugh to read. This guy is a troll or an idiot (or more likely, both).