Emigration Advice

Old May 20th 2017, 3:24 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration Advice

I'm surprised that anyone who has thoroughly researched the costs of living here and what life in (in particular) Orlando entails (crime, education, work-life balance (Disney isn't a 9-5 operation), etc is still hell-bent on doing it.

How I miss my 30 days paid holiday, 4 weeks paid if I become ill...
Old May 20th 2017, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Apply for a job and see if they will sponsor you?
+ 1

Go to Disney website click on careers and see if there is a job you can apply for.

You need a work visa from a sponsoring company before you move.
Old May 20th 2017, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Cw10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, after reading the above comments, let me just step out of my fantasy world for a bit... Okay, let's rule out Disney and Universal. If I still wanted to move to Orlando Florida, REALISTICALLY what would be my first move (apart from Marrying someone else)? Get a job who are willing to pay and allow me to stay in the States?

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Also bear in mind that the majority of folks on here who reside in the US achieved this by marrying their way in (requires no specialized skills, qualifications or money). Doing it the 'hard way', via employment - what you are alluding to, is a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

Disney and Universal have a reputation in Central FL as being piss-poor employers, who pay minimums, offer little in the way of security and are generally arseholes to work for.

That said, there are other major employers in this area - Lockheed Martin and EA Sports spring immediately to mind. My next door neighbor works at Lockheed and has several H-1B colleagues (some from UK) working in his dept, which is IT related.

If you want it bad enough....
Old May 20th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cw10
Ok, after reading the above comments, let me just step out of my fantasy world for a bit... Okay, let's rule out Disney and Universal. If I still wanted to move to Orlando Florida, REALISTICALLY what would be my first move (apart from Marrying someone else)? Get a job who are willing to pay and allow me to stay in the States?
Go back and read Mikelincs' post. He linked to a good page on the wiki highlighting the routes available.
Old May 20th 2017, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not just get a job but find an employer who wants you bad enough to sponsor you for a work visa. Since this could cost the employer thousands of dollars, you should be a good 'catch' for them to want to sponsor you. If you are lucky enough to find that employer, then your spouse can tag along on a dependent visa based on yours and if it is an H visa, she will not be able to work in the US but will be able to live here. She is free to seek a sponsor of her own.

This is just my personal opinion but I was at Disney late March and it is old and tired and I will never go back, thank goodness. Universal is newer and great fun but still it is a resort and resorts are not for living but for visiting. They don't give a realistic view of what life would be like living there 24/7. Orlando is just another Floridian town to live in. It is hot, humid and from what I saw driving through and spending time there not someplace that would be an ideal place to want to live in. Again, this is just my PO so it is worth nothing to you but I couldn't resist posting it.
Old May 20th 2017, 5:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Options:

1. Get a US employer to hire you and sponsor you for a work visa (H-1B visa...your spouse would not be able to work).
2. Get a job in the UK that has offices in the USA and then after 1 year, ask for a transfer (L visa...your spouse can apply for permission to work).

Rene
Old May 20th 2017, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Cw10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your time!
Old May 20th 2017, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh.... my comment in the posting just above this one tells you what you need to do.

Get a job with an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a work visa.
Old May 21st 2017, 12:23 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to see how many of the posters over the years who have been "desperate to move to Orlando" (who had no realistic hope of doing so - at least in the short term future) actually managed to do so. And of those that did, how they felt about it after, say, a year and whether they still "loved the place".
Old May 21st 2017, 4:25 am
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Become a doctor there are stacks of recruiters willing to hire you on the spot with H1 and GC sponsorship with big time sign on bonuses etc!

What you waiting for?
Old May 21st 2017, 10:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
It would be interesting to see how many of the posters over the years who have been "desperate to move to Orlando" (who had no realistic hope of doing so - at least in the short term future) actually managed to do so. And of those that did, how they felt about it after, say, a year and whether they still "loved the place".
Good idea for a thread...but this forum is not the place to discuss it. Please open a new thread in the Trailer Park forum.
Old May 21st 2017, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

Get your nursing degree there's a shortage of Registered Nurses in the USA.
Old May 21st 2017, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Options:

1. Get a US employer to hire you and sponsor you for a work visa (H-1B visa...your spouse would not be able to work).
2. Get a job in the UK that has offices in the USA and then after 1 year, ask for a transfer (L visa...your spouse can apply for permission to work). ....
This is about it, realistically, and I would favour trying route 2 over route 1, not least because it side-steps the lottery for H-1B's and it is more likely to avoid possible changes to work visas than than the H-1B route, which Donald Trump has muttered about changing.

Note, route 2 applies to any job outside the US, so for example a job at Disneyland Paris might be a route to an L-1A/B to Disney in the US.
Originally Posted by tom169
.... I'm confused to what you're on about here. Are you comparing like for like benefits? If so, healthcare providers don't discriminate based on nationality. I pay the exact same amount as my US citizen coworker.
I think it was a double-pronged comment about the cost of Healthcare and the pay that most people at the Orlando theme parks are paid.

If JPROPS' post is accurate then either the pay is even lower than I imagined, virtually slave wages, or those people are probably buying health insurance that provides far more coverage than they really need.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 21st 2017 at 12:32 pm.
Old May 21st 2017, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169

I'm confused to what you're on about here. Are you comparing like for like benefits? If so, healthcare providers don't discriminate based on nationality. I pay the exact same amount as my US citizen coworker.
Most of the British people here who are not on family based visas are on the E2 visa and have to self fund their own healthcare. It's not about discriminating on nationality, it's about the route they are on. They are not employed, they are self employed (small business owners) and are therefore funding their own.

I know multiple families paying in excess of $1000 a month with high deductibles and co pays.
Old May 21st 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

If JPROPS' post is accurate then either the pay is even lower than I imagined, virtually slave wages, or those people are probably buying health insurance that provides far more coverage than they really need.
I have a large number of friends who are Cast Members at Disney and at Universal. Firstly, Disney rarely hire full time. Secondly, they are largely staffed by the College program these days. Thirdly, they pay around $10 - 12 an hour for most positions. People don't work at Disney for the money, they do it because it's the "dream". A friend of mine is a supervisor at the Studios, one of his staff has been working for Disney for close to 20 years and makes $14 an hour. If you're on the corporate side, you will make more, I have a friend who is an imagineer who makes about $16 an hour but she started in the college program in the 90s and has worked her way up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.