Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Emigrating from UK to US - Both working Software Engineer & Nurse

Emigrating from UK to US - Both working Software Engineer & Nurse

Old Sep 2nd 2018, 10:48 am
Just Joined

iOSDev is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Emigrating from UK to US - Both working Software Engineer & Nurse

Hey, we are in the first stages of looking at moving to the USA and are wondering where to start with regards to Visa's etc

I work for a pretty big digital agency as the uk lead for the mobile development team (iPhone) I have been at the company for over 2 years and we have several US offices - So there is potential for L1 (or maybe L1a as I am a manager)

My Wife is a registered Nurse and Midwife and would be looking to work in the US

We have 2 children currently in primary school

We are potentially looking at California as a destination.

It seems my wife's profession is in high demand and there are quite a number of positions advertising roles with relocation etc

I was wondering what the best route for visa's would be in the following scenarios

1) I transfer to a US office with my current company, my wife looks to work once we are settled in US

2) My wife secures a role in the US and I look for work once she is employed and we are settled in the US

Also any advise on the likelihood of either scenarios would be great, I have looked through quite a lot of posts on here and the info has been great, but I have not seen a scenario that matches ours

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 2nd 2018 at 9:44 pm. Reason: Assume you meant moving to the USA, not UK
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 11:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating from UK to US - Both working Software Engineer & Nurse

Originally Posted by iOSDev
Hey, we are in the first stages of looking at moving to the UK and are wondering where to start with regards to Visa's etc

I work for a pretty big digital agency as the uk lead for the mobile development team (iPhone) I have been at the company for over 2 years and we have several US offices - So there is potential for L1 (or maybe L1a as I am a manager)

My Wife is a registered Nurse and Midwife and would be looking to work in the US

We have 2 children currently in primary school

We are potentially looking at California as a destination.

It seems my wife's profession is in high demand and there are quite a number of positions advertising roles with relocation etc

I was wondering what the best route for visa's would be in the following scenarios

1) I transfer to a US office with my current company, my wife looks to work once we are settled in US

2) My wife secures a role in the US and I look for work once she is employed and we are settled in the US

Also any advise on the likelihood of either scenarios would be great, I have looked through quite a lot of posts on here and the info has been great, but I have not seen a scenario that matches ours

Thanks in Advance!
Welcome to BE.

Scenario 1 will be your best option, scenario 2 won't fly, there are no visas available for UK nurses to work in the US except in very specific circumstances, with option 1 your wife would, at least, be able to look at US jobs although nursing in the UK and US are totally different and she would need to retrain.

Please have a read of this and see just what you options might be, an H1-B visa would not be that advisable as the other person would NOT be able to work.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Great, thanks for the info and links - seems like California is tough to get into for nursing also good to know about the H1-B
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's assume you went on L-1 and she applied for an EAD.

She will need to pass the NCLEX and potentially other state boards to be a nurse. These will have pre-requisites that she may not have as a UK nurse, so potentially will have to go back to University or a community college.

L-1 with negotiated relocation package would be the best deal. Make sure a green card is agreed to and in writing. You mention California like it's your choice, but is that where the company office is? You'll need to work from a physical office location for an L-1.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

is the physical office location a new rule?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

L1 all the way.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred16
is the physical office location a new rule?
I may be getting confused with an investment route.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I may be getting confused with an investment route.
Don't think you are confused. Not heard of anyone getting an L1 to transfer to the US without there being an actual office/physical location to transfer to:

The L-1A nonimmigrant classification enables a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. This classification also enables a foreign company which does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send an executive or manager to the United States with the purpose of establishing one.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Let's assume you went on L-1 and she applied for an EAD.

She will need to pass the NCLEX and potentially other state boards to be a nurse. These will have pre-requisites that she may not have as a UK nurse, so potentially will have to go back to University or a community college.

L-1 with negotiated relocation package would be the best deal. Make sure a green card is agreed to and in writing. You mention California like it's your choice, but is that where the company office is? You'll need to work from a physical office location for an L-1.
Thanks I will get her to look into the qualifications mentioned, good to know

We have offices throughout the US, there are a couple in California that I could be based out of as one of our main clients is in the area and we have little representation in my line in the area. I would definitely be looking to be close to an office even if it wasn't a visa requirement, but again good to know.

Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago did she train? Get her to check she has Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult both clinical and theory hours on her transcripts. California will not accept her application without a US SSN. Difficult to meet California Board of Nursing requirements as they are one of the hardest states to register with. Also depending where in California jobs are not in short supply so having experience in certain areas may help