US Visa query

Old Aug 29th 2023, 6:51 am
Just Joined

elaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Visa query

Hey everyone

Could I have some advice regarding US visas please? I’ve tried googling but there seems to be so many choices!

We are, very early, thinking about moving to the states from the UK but are unsure which visa we would need. My husband and I would both want to work, we have two daughters of school age as well. I have a lot of relatives over there, more than in the UK, but not immediate, just aunts and cousins.

Many thanks for any advise as to where to start with this.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:20 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Visa query

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

Start here. These are the ways to live and work in the US.... which route do you believe you qualify for?
Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:40 am
Just Joined

I’ve read it and I don’t know! Work wise husband is a telecommunications engineer and I am classed as an unqualified teacher I guess. I am just so confused as to whether we could even get a visa.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Who does your husband work for? Do they have a US presence for which he could transfer?

The truth is that many people do not have a route to move to the US. Despite it's reputation, the US is one of the most difficult countries to move too if you do not have immediate family already living here.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Yes that’s my knowledge as well that it’s difficult to get over there. I guess aunts and cousins don’t count as immediate family?
Old Aug 29th 2023, 8:53 am
Often not so civil...

They do not
Old Aug 29th 2023, 9:03 am
Just Joined

My husbands company is solely UK based so would the only option be to get a job and they sponsor you to come over?
Old Aug 29th 2023, 9:50 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by elaw
My husbands company is solely UK based so would the only option be to get a job and they sponsor you to come over?
I'm not exactly she what a telecoms engineer does, but it sounds like he is physically manipulating telephone lines for things like internet connections, correct?

I don't have much knowledge of that industry, but it dosen't sound like an occupation that may lead to a visa.

My fellow East Coast BE people will be along later when the EC mostly wakes up, so other suggestions may be given.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Yeah he deals with fiber amongst other things.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 1:21 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

As per post #2.
It's highly unlikely that you would be able to move to the States.
Your husband would need to find a job with a US presence and then move to the US company location.
All very slim. Sorry.

Unless you have another citizenship to another country, Possibly a diversity lottery route, but again slim chance.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Ok thank you. That’s upsetting to hear but thank you for responding .
Old Aug 29th 2023, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Unless you have another citizenship to another country, Possibly a diversity lottery route, but again slim chance.
DV is by birth not citizenship, so unless born in NI then that's not an option for people born in the UK.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 3:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
DV is by birth not citizenship, so unless born in NI then that's not an option for people born in the UK.
Note: If one spouse is a native of NI (or other waiver country) then what is called cross-chart ability cranks in.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thank you. That’s upsetting to hear but thank you for responding.
I agree with the advice you have been given, including your conclusion about the linked information page - that you appear to fall into the (large) group where immigration to the US is highly improbable. .... And you should be wary of a, typically smaller, employer who offers you a job, "but you need to get your own visa". We hear of that from time to time, but employers who make offers like that are unaware that only employers can apply for visas for immigrant workers, and so such employers are likely unaware that their offer cannot be accepted because the would-be employee has no route to a visa. However the point is moot as there is no applicable visa type for a mechanic, hairdresser, electrician, truck driver, etc.

The US has no program for visas for any trades, the assumption is, unless sponsored for transfer by an existing employer, that work visas are for people with degrees and advanced knowledge, or they're for low-paid seasonal (e.g. hotel housekeeping staff in Florida) and agriculture workers.

And in reality even most occupations with a degree as a minimum requirement, and even further advanced training, are unable to work in the US either - a law degree and qualifications as a solicitor or barrister are virtually useless in the US without substantial additional training and more exams. A family friend, married to a USC, who was a doctor and further trained as an anesthetist, with a decade of experience, had to go back to medical school for a year, then do several years of supervised work in a training hospital before she was "qualified" in the US to do the job she already had years of experience doing outside the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 29th 2023 at 4:40 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve read it and I don’t know! Work wise husband is a telecommunications engineer and I am classed as an unqualified teacher I guess. I am just so confused as to whether we could even get a visa.
What do you mean by 'unqualified teacher'? I agree with the above posts, unfortunately your husband isn't likely to be sponsored for a visa with his job. But teachers are occasionally sponsored, mainly by international schools for in demand subjects - still a long shot but more chance than a telecoms engineer I'd guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.