Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Originally Posted by Speedwell
As a permanent Canadian resident, you would still fall under the rules for the UK until you naturalize, which would take at least four years from the time you entered Canada.
Six years is more realistic. This includes the time to decide on the citizenship application, which normally takes years, not months.

And it's rumoured that the Harper administration wants to increase the duration of the residence requirement for naturalisation. Almost double it.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You can still have a good life in the UK, believe it or not. Visit your friend for nice holidays.

*awaits the howls of derision she always gets for posting this*
My husband said yesterday that he would be absolutely ecstatic if we were moving back to the UK. That's after having a very comfortable life and living the American dream for the last 17 years.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband said yesterday that he would be absolutely ecstatic if we were moving back to the UK. That's after having a very comfortable life and living the American dream for the last 17 years.
Do you think you will at some point?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Do you think you will at some point?
We have decided to go to Canada...we will give it 2 years and if it doesn't work out then we will go home.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Jonboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding our nationalities I'm English and my wife is a British citizen but born in Thailand. She was the one who mentioned about having a baby over there! As apparently that is what all the South Americans do when they want to stay in America! Was hoping as I had a job offer as a skilled electrician, someone willing to pay me perminantely for my skills, it would have been straight forward to live and work in Florida. I've visited a few times and we had our hearts set on moving there! Now seems like our dreams are crushed!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:55 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Ok why can't this guy create his own electrician business in UK and then after a year or 2 get the L1 inter company transfer visa by setting up a branch of that business in Orlando, Miami whatever?. In the same way that Sankeys the manchester/ibiza club is opening in new york and bringing over the head people from manchester to run the nyc venue.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 12:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
Ok why can't this guy create his own electrician business in UK and then after a year or 2 get the L1 inter company transfer visa by setting up a branch of that business in Orlando, Miami whatever?. In the same way that Sankeys the manchester/ibiza club is opening in new york and bringing over the head people from manchester to run the nyc venue.
If he is able to build up a business like that, which will run in both countries and employ more than just a couple of people, he can do that.

Rene
Old Oct 20th 2013, 12:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonboy5
Regarding our nationalities I'm English and my wife is a British citizen but born in Thailand. She was the one who mentioned about having a baby over there! As apparently that is what all the South Americans do when they want to stay in America! Was hoping as I had a job offer as a skilled electrician, someone willing to pay me perminantely for my skills, it would have been straight forward to live and work in Florida. I've visited a few times and we had our hearts set on moving there! Now seems like our dreams are crushed!
Your thinking is too simplistic. Now that you know it's not as easy as just hopping over here and starting work, if you still want to come to the USA, you have to think of a Plan B, Plan C, etc.

1. Get a degree in the UK and look for a job in the USA.
2. Get an F-1 visa and get a degree in the USA which could lead to a job in the USA.
3. Start your own company in the UK and then branch out to the USA.
4. Get a job with a UK firm that has offices in the USA, then after 1 year ask for a transfer.

Getting to the USA is not impossible. It's just not quick or easy. But it can be done, if you really want it and are willing to work hard towards it.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 20th 2013 at 1:28 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 12:46 pm

She was the one who mentioned about having a baby over there! As apparently that is what all the South Americans do when they want to stay in America!
That is just not true.

Rene
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

As apparently that is what all the South Americans do when they want to stay in America!
Firstly, "all the South Americans" don't do it... although some might. Regardless they can't get an immigration benefit from giving birth in the US until the child turns 21... so either someone is lying to you, or you are lying to yourself in order to maintain the illusion that what you're being told is accurate.

I've visited a few times and we had our hearts set on moving there!
Lots of people visit and envision life in the US... for most, it'll never happen. That's the reality.

Now seems like our dreams are crushed!
With respect, you had unrealistic expectations... and, now that you know the truth, if you still want to move to the US... you find some other way.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding our nationalities I'm English and my wife is a British citizen but born in Thailand. ...
Are those born in Thailand eligible for the green card lottery?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

"Lottery" eligible I see.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of

@folinsky your comments about doctors being unfavoured occupations seems a bit odd considering around 4000 are admitted to US every year that need visas.

also the h1 visas for them are completely cap exempt again slightly odd for an 'unfavoured' occupation.

just seems odd what you say and in my opinion a medical occupation is probably one of the few favoured occupations there.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needle
just seems odd what you say and in my opinion a medical occupation is probably one of the few favoured occupations there.
Oh dear god... you missed the smiley face in his post, right? What on earth made you think he was being serious?

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2013, 4:33 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
"Lottery" eligible I see.
That is his only realistic option. OP's wife can apply from embassy in london maybe she gets it maybe she doesn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.