Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Originally Posted by Speedwell
We are all people who have been through the process ourselves. We are not unsympathetic to your desires to come to the US. I myself am the daughter of an immigrant with skills similar to your own. We are not the government and have no particular interest in keeping you out. Trust me, if any of us knew a legal and safe way for you to proceed, we would tell you.
+1 to this. Like others have said, your friend needs to get legal advice on possibilities for you to come over if they are serious about hiring you, from an experienced immigration attorney. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome for you, but you know that already.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Jonboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like there is no way in for a hard working man who wants to raise a family! Even if there is a job there for him! Shame Britain is not even half as stricted! Maybe I wouldn't want to leave then!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Jonboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your help but it seems like all is being said is no! Has it always been like this?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonboy5
Thank you for all your help but it seems like all is being said is no! Has it always been like this?
I haven't always been on this forum, but from what I can tell, it's been the same since at least 2003 when I joined BE.

The fact of the matter is that there are only a very limited number of ways to get to the USA, and a vast number of people don't fit into those categories.

We are not really saying "NO", we are saying "have your friend who wants to hire you, consult with an attorney, to see what options, if any, are out there". That is the only way forward for you right now.

You are an electrian, right? That's a skill. In general, immigration to the USA doesn't work for people with a "skill", it works for people with a "degree". Perhaps you can go back to school and get a Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering. Or come to the USA on a student visa and get your degree here. Then your chances improve greatly.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 18th 2013 at 9:24 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:24 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

No, of course not. Things have tightened up steadily and gradually since my father entered the country more than 50 years ago, and they tightened again after the 9-11 attacks. If the US rules really were stricter than the UK rules, I would have joined my husband there instead of him joining me here. Incidentally, to qualify for a temporary work visa for the UK, I had to be sponsored by an international company that enjoyed special status in the UK; I could not have used a "friend in the business" with a job offer for someone of my decidedly middle-level and over-abundant work skills. It really depends very much on your individual circumstances and the law as it stands at any given moment. Laws do change and circumstances change and maybe you just need to wait for an opportunity to arise, and perhaps take the time to improve your skills so you qualify for a higher-demand occupation in the US, if appropriate.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like there is no way in for a hard working man who wants to raise a family! Even if there is a job there for him! Shame Britain is not even half as stricted! Maybe I wouldn't want to leave then!
Ah, the familiar irony of a would be immigrant complaining about immigrants!

Despite what you may read in the Daily Mail, it's just as hard for a US citizen to move to the UK. In fact, if your friend's wife had wanted to move to the UK instead of the other way around, she'd have had a much tougher time of it than he did.

It's only easy for EU citizens to move to the UK, but of course that works both ways and you could up sticks and move anywhere within the EU anytime you wish without any visa hassle. So if you want out of the UK, why not just do that?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:27 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's only easy for EU citizens to move to the UK, but of course that works both ways and you could up sticks and move anywhere within the EU anytime you wish without any visa hassle. So if you want out of the UK, why not just do that?
That might mean moving to a country full of the same foreigners he is desperately trying to distance himself from, yaknow?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, the familiar irony of a would be immigrant complaining about immigrants!

Innit.

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 18th 2013 at 9:32 pm. Reason: fixed quotes
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Shame Britain is not even half as stricted! .....
Britain is every bit as difficult to immigrate into as the US, except to the extent that Britain is obligated to accept almost anyone who relocates from within the European Onion.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting back OT ...

I second what Rene says about getting some study under your belt. You have £20,000 in savings, you could study something related, get a degree and then be in a better position to move over.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You can still have a good life in the UK, believe it or not. Visit your friend for nice holidays.

*awaits the howls of derision she always gets for posting this*
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You can still have a good life in the UK, believe it or not. Visit your friend for nice holidays.

*awaits the howls of derision she always gets for posting this*
@SallyRedux

.... only joking. Come visit the Lakes, or Galloway/Dumfries if you fancy a more moderate clime, just in the UK. And York for its Cathedrals. And other places (look I'm not a Tourist Guide lol).

Sally is spot on - you choose how to make the most of your life; sounds like you are in a better position than most to make a positive change. Just not in the US.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

US Immigration law is one of exclusion -- the focus has almost always been who should be kept out and then the "loopholes" kick in.

At least you are not in a highly disfavored occupation such as Medical Doctor.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... you don't like all the immigrants coming to Britain, so your answer is to become one yourself! Yah, good idea!

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ah... you don't like all the immigrants coming to Britain, so your answer is to become one yourself! Yah, good idea!

Ian
I think people get confused because immigrants from the EU are not 'stricted'. It is a most unpleasant attitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.