Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Electrician wanting to move to USA + any loopholes?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to florida

Originally Posted by Jonboy5
Not even any loop holes in the system if I could get a good lawyer?
Honestly, if there were loopholes, everyone would be using them. Even the most commonly used employment visa, for people not transferred by an employer, the H1-b, is capped with twice as many applicants as available visas this year.

There are many visa types available, but aside from family and inter-company transfers, they mostly focus on highly qualified individuals, hard to find skills, and extraordinary performers, (and those with boat loads of money ) not run-of-the-mill occupations no matter how skilled or experienced the would-be immigrant is.

Sorry, you appear to be SOL.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Jonboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to USA

Thanks rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to USA

Legal consultation may be in order. And there may be facts in OP's situation that is more than a "loophole" -- it may be an 800 pound gorilla.

BTW, in the construction trades there is a little beastie called "Davis-Bacon" which sets wages paid by the Federal Government and the Feds purportedly pay "prevailing wage."
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Jonboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having baby in America

What would happen if my pregnant wife were to give birth in America would the baby be American and would that mean me and my wife would become American citizens?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having baby in America

The baby if born in the US would be a US citizen.

They could sponsor you for a greencard upon reaching 21 years of age.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen if my pregnant wife were to give birth in America would the baby be American and would that mean me and my wife would become American citizens?
The baby becomes an American citizen but has no effect on the parents except the child can petition the parents when he/she becomes 21 (anchor babies).
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

the baby would be a citizen I think, but you can only use that status to apply for family visas when he's 21 IIRC. and the family visa may very well be killed off soon anyway. current processing times are 10 years, so you'll be good to go in 31 years or so.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? You run a good risk of being done for criminal fraud if you and your wife purposely visit America with the intent of trying to get around the visa rules this way whilst coming in on the VWP. Also airlines will usually not allow pregnant women past a certain stage to board.

Even if you got in and convinced the admitting officer that your intentions are just to visit (again completely illegal as you have already stated in previous threads you want to move there), then you do realise that healthcare isn't free in America??

No-one on this forum is going to recommend that you do anything that endangers the health of your wife, your baby, yourself, and breaks visa rules.

Also, as others have said, you have at least a 20 year wait before you could 'use' the babies citizenship to 'anchor' you in to the USA.

Last edited by hoffage123; Oct 18th 2013 at 7:57 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:04 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

It should be noted that doing such a thing would be very expensive. You are unlikely to get health insurance to cover the cost of the birth which would leave u with a massive bill for the cost of the baby's birth tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands maybe.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

- Unless you had good health insurance you'd be landed with a huge bill!

- the child would be a US citizen but it would make no difference to you and your wife until child was 21 - and he/she could then sponsor you.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
It should be noted that doing such a thing would be very expensive. You are unlikely to get health insurance to cover the cost of the birth which would leave u with a massive bill for the cost of the baby's birth tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands maybe.
+1

Look, as others have told you in other threads, unless you have some extraordinary skill, boatloads of cash, or are in on a family route (i.e. married to an American, or have American relatives) you aren't going to make it over there. Sorry to be so harsh about it, but that is the reality.

It is hard enough for those of who do have a valid reason to get in, let alone those who just want to have a 'try' at living and working in America.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:10 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

- the child would be a US citizen but it would make no difference to you and your wife until child was 21 - and he/she could then sponsor you.
The health insurance provider would probably refuse to pay due to the pre existing condition (being pregnant).
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
You run a good risk of being done for criminal fraud if you and your wife purposely visit America with the intent of trying to get around the visa rules this way whilst coming in on the VWP.
Oh dear god... no, he doesn't. Why? Because even if she gave birth in the US they can't take advantage of it for another 21 years! And, on its own, giving birth in the US is perfectly legal.

Also airlines will usually not allow pregnant women past a certain stage to board.
True... but that's an airline issue, not an immigration issue.

No-one on this forum is going to recommend that you do anything that endangers the health of your wife, your baby, yourself, and breaks visa rules.
Personally, I don't care if he risks his own health, his wife's, or the baby's... but I do draw the line at breaking immigration rules and definitely don't recommend that as a strategy!

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like a nice guy... but, given your previous posts, you also sound pretty desperate. When you're desperate, you use very poor judgement and make very poor decisions.

So, my advice: don't be an idiot!

Ian
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Travel insurance won't cover it, and you won't get short term insurance for a "pre-exisiting condition" when your wife is pregnant. The cost of medical support for a totally straightforward birth starts around, $20,000 in the cheaper parts of the country, and can run up to $50,000 with only minor complications and an extra day or two in hospital in the more expensive areas. With significant complications and a spell in neonatal intensive care the bill will reach $100,000 in next to no time!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2013 at 8:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.