British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Which EB5 Seattle or Jay Peak? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/eb5-seattle-jay-peak-713014/)

ginstwin Apr 12th 2011 7:06 am

Which EB5 Seattle or Jay Peak?

I am going to invest in an EB5 shortly.

I appreciate that noone knows with any certainty which EB5 is better than another and i guess it depends on the criteria one is looking for.

However i would be very interested in peoples views on Jay Peak and Seattle.
I think both have similar risk but are established EB5 investments thereby hopefully ensuring success with getting conditions removed. Return of principle is another issue and i think both are much of a muchness.

Would really be interested in your views.

porvera Apr 12th 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Which EB5 Seattle or Jay Peak?

I went with Jay Peak (as you will see from my past posts).

I am very happy with my decision. We get an income, which will work out to around 4-5%pa. We have recently asked for the conditions to be removed from our green cards and from what I understand, the other investors in phase 1, who have applied for removal of conditions, have had them removed.

In addition to the monthly cheques, we also get 2 weeks free accommodation, including ski pass and or golf.

For a family of four, this is great value. 4* ski accommodation and ski passes alone would be $3,000 +

I would recommend visiting both projects, do not go simply on what people tell you. Look at what each project is trying to achieve and trust your own instincts.

Good luck

Porvera

ginstwin Apr 12th 2011 1:52 pm

I have read your other posts with great interest and appreciate the insight.

How do you feel about the potential exit route?

porvera Apr 12th 2011 5:32 pm

I am comfortable with the exit strategy, I should point out that I or the other investors have little or no say in this but that is something we knew from the start.

We are a family of 4 and therefore the EB5 is ideal for us. All investments carry a certain amount of risk, it is up to the each individual to know where their risk threshold is.

As previously stated, I would strongly urge any potential investor to invest in a couple of flights and hotel rooms. This will cost less than 1% of the $550,000 (inc costs etc) EB5. Not much for peace of mind and you get to see some of America at the same time.

Porvera

madfrank Apr 13th 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by porvera (Post 9300968)
I am comfortable with the exit strategy, I should point out that I or the other investors have little or no say in this but that is something we knew from the start.

We are a family of 4 and therefore the EB5 is ideal for us. All investments carry a certain amount of risk, it is up to the each individual to know where their risk threshold is.

As previously stated, I would strongly urge any potential investor to invest in a couple of flights and hotel rooms. This will cost less than 1% of the $550,000 (inc costs etc) EB5. Not much for peace of mind and you get to see some of America at the same time.

Porvera

How long does it take before you can get the conditions removed from your Green Card?

Ray Apr 13th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by madfrank (Post 9303329)
How long does it take before you can get the conditions removed from your Green Card?

Two years

madfrank Apr 13th 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 9303355)
Two years

And what do the conditions limit you to?

porvera Apr 13th 2011 8:29 pm

You are not restricted as to where you live. So you could invest in an EB5 in Vermont and live in Florida. You are also able to work, as is your Wife (if applicable).

As far as I am aware, the term conditional really means that the conditions under which it was issued have to be real and at the end of the conditional period 24 months, we have to demonstrate that our investment is in fact real, genuine and that the EB5 regional centre we have invested in is fulfilling the terms and requirements of the EB5 visa.

Porvera

madfrank Apr 13th 2011 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by porvera (Post 9303466)
You are not restricted as to where you live. So you could invest in an EB5 in Vermont and live in Florida. You are also able to work, as is your Wife (if applicable).

As far as I am aware, the term conditional really means that the conditions under which it was issued have to be real and at the end of the conditional period 24 months, we have to demonstrate that our investment is in fact real, genuine and that the EB5 regional centre we have invested in is fulfilling the terms and requirements of the EB5 visa.

Porvera

Thanks. Do you not have to prove it's real before they even issue you with the conditional in the first place? So after you've had it for 5-6 years you can apply to become a Citizen? Do you need to have fulfilled anything else in the Green Card in order to stay on or does the Green Card expire and you need to get it renewed at some point?

porvera Apr 14th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by madfrank (Post 9303510)
Thanks. Do you not have to prove it's real before they even issue you with the conditional in the first place? So after you've had it for 5-6 years you can apply to become a Citizen? Do you need to have fulfilled anything else in the Green Card in order to stay on or does the Green Card expire and you need to get it renewed at some point?

Of course you have to prove that the regional centre you are investing in is real. The regional centre has to be approved by the government, so when you apply the attorney acting on behalf of the regional centre and you, will submit the neccessary paperwork relating to the EB5 project.

The paperwork and documents needed for the EB5 are not for the faint hearted.

As far as I am aware, once the conditions are removed a 10 year green card is issued. You could of course apply for citizenship after 5 years (including the 2 conditional years)

Porvera

DanTheFanMan Apr 14th 2011 1:37 pm

you have to spend a specific amount of time in the US per year as a lawful permanent resident for five years consecutively before you can become a citizen.

porvera Apr 14th 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by DanTheFanMan (Post 9304862)
you have to spend a specific amount of time in the US per year as a lawful permanent resident for five years consecutively before you can become a citizen.

Correct. The EB5 visa is an immigration visa -therefore those fortunate enough to get one are doing so to be able to live in the USofA.

Being a green card holder means that fiscally the holder becomes a US tax payer, a legal permanent resident. The only thing we cannot do is vote!

Bob Apr 15th 2011 1:03 am

Originally Posted by porvera (Post 9306022)

...The only thing we cannot do is vote!

or live abroad without losing status, jury duty, government jobs, decent security clearance, not get shafted on death benefits depending on location, qualify for NAFTA for easier move to Canada/Mexico...blablabla... :D

And you don't need to be a LPR to be required to pay US taxes, they make being eligible to pay taxes pretty easy over here :lol:

DanTheFanMan Apr 15th 2011 1:36 pm

>>they make being eligible to pay taxes pretty easy over here<<

aint that the truth! :lol:

lenrap May 4th 2011 2:30 pm

Since the original question was "Which EB5" Why not get some additional information?