British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   EB5 Investment Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/eb5-investment-visa-602536/)

nvphox Apr 8th 2009 5:41 pm

EB5 Investment Visa?

For the investment visa I did some research and the website stated this;
Invest $500,000 into a Government designated Regional Centre and avoid direct employment.

Is it THAT simple? You just invest $500,000 and recieve a Green Card?

If me and my partner want to do it this way, and we're not married, does that mean we would have to invest 500,000 each?

After investment, that means we can work legally right in the USA?

Ray Apr 8th 2009 5:51 pm

Re: EB5 Investment Visa?

Originally Posted by nvphox (Post 7463397)
For the investment visa I did some research and the website stated this;
Invest $500,000 into a Government designated Regional Centre and avoid direct employment.
Is it THAT simple? You just invest $500,000 and recieve a Green Card?

Not quite that simple..other fees could add a further $60k
then every penny has be proved where it came from... eventually you will get a Conditional greencard

If me and my partner want to do it this way, and we're not married, does that mean we would have to invest 500,000 each?
Yes if same sex ... or get married if not ...

After investment, that means we can work legally right in the USA?
yes ...

nvphox Apr 8th 2009 10:53 pm

What exactly is a Conditional Green Card? How is it different to a normal Green Card?:unsure:

meauxna Apr 8th 2009 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by nvphox (Post 7464461)
What exactly is a Conditional Green Card? How is it different to a normal Green Card?:unsure:

Some of you may be CONDITIONAL RESIDENTS. This page applies equally to you while you are in conditional resident status. The difference between you and an unconditioned permanent resident is that your permanent resident status will expire in two years from when it was given, unless you successfully petition to have the condition removed.

Those of you with conditional permanent residence either received your residence through a marriage relationship where the marriage was less than two years old at the time you became a Permanent Resident, or you received that status through an investment as an employment creation immigrant (EB-5). If you successfully petition for removal of the condition on your immigration status, this page will still apply to you as a Permanent Resident.

Sec. 216.6 Petition by entrepreneur to remove conditional basis of lawful permanent resident status.

Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions

Folinskyinla Apr 8th 2009 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by nvphox (Post 7464461)

Hi:

The term "green card" is the nickname for the status of lawful permanent residence. In the marriage and investor arenas, Congress has imported the contract concept of "conditions." An example of the effect of conditions might be found in real estate leases. For example, lets say you signed a lease on September 1, 2001 for space in New York's World Trade Center at $3,000 per month for 10 years starting October 1, 2001. There were several implied conditions to that contract. One the landlord could not supply the contracted space due to the unanticipated demolition of the premises by third parties on September 11, 2001. This failure of condition also excused the promise to pay $3,000 per month.

There is essentially no difference between a "conditional" and a non-conditional green card. They are both lawful permanent residence. However, if one fails to comply with the condition of filing an application to remove the condition, the green card disappears by magic.