Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EB5 (EB-5) via buying and running a Franchise

EB5 (EB-5) via buying and running a Franchise

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB5 (EB-5) via buying and running a Franchise

Originally Posted by hotscot
If you want the highest risk of failing miserably and having your life devastated.

Open a restaurant.
+1!

My sincere question to the OP would be - what do you really want to spend 16 hours a day doing? Do you want to be a restauranteur? Is that your current line of work? Running a restaurant franchise is definitely not passive investment.

There may be other ways to skin the cat, depending on your skills, experience and career ambitions. I started my own business in the US, so I can talk about that in detail on PM if you like.

Also - watch out for the "grass is greener" effect. The US does not necessarily offer a better lifestyle nor a better future for your family: We are expecting the next generation in the US to be the first that is less well-off than their parents.

If the move allows you to have great fulfillment in your work life, your home life and your emotional life - fantastic! If you are moving because you perceive standards of living are higher in the US, you could be in for a shock. Culture, politics and healthcare are so different as to be sometimes profoundly alienating. These issues are discussed a lot on the boards, particularly with the flood of people trying to emigrate to Florida because they think it is Britain, but with better weather...

I'm very much with Joseph Campbell on this one - "Follow your bliss."
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding life in the UK and in the US.
I liken it to the new car syndrome...oh yes it's all fun and joy for a few weeks but eventually it just becomes, "the car".

I guess what I'm saying is, it's rarely the location you're living in that provides fulfillment. You know, same shit different place.

Make sure you study that link on probability of business failure.

And by all means if you have specific ideas on the business please discuss it here...there's lots of experienced input we can provide.

Was just observing with my wife that there's several Subway sandwich shops in our locale.
We actually prefer Quizno's, they were better quality and slightly higher prices.
One guy opened a Quizno's two years ago, couldn't compete because a lot of business gravitates to the perceived value, folded six months ago.

His dreams went with it.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I find it interesting to see people giving business advice. That is up to the investor in my opinion.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"That is up to the investor in my opinion."

Not sure what you mean by that?

Experienced business people often provide advice so that other can learn from that advice.

I wish I had a mentor at times, there are many mistakes I would have avoided.
I don't think anyone has been saying "don't do it." more, "be extremely cautious as you may not be aware of the risk."

Considering that most new businesses fail....

In addition if the OP decides to forge ahead there's also a lot of constructive information he'll have access to if he asks.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
+1!

If the move allows you to have great fulfillment in your work life, your home life and your emotional life - fantastic! If you are moving because you perceive standards of living are higher in the US, you could be in for a shock. Culture, politics and healthcare are so different as to be sometimes profoundly alienating.
Healthcare not so much anymore in California.

California Covered can be very good I believe.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:54 am
Just Joined

generalya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

If day-to-day management is not needed, what is the incentive for EB5 investors to choose RC projects over direct projects? Given that the direct project companies/restaurants are already profitable, have an exit strategies in place and are willing to setup personal/company backed escrows for EB5 investors?

Thanks much!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by generalya
If day-to-day management is not needed, what is the incentive for EB5 investors to choose RC projects over direct projects? Given that the direct project companies/restaurants are already profitable, have an exit strategies in place and are willing to setup personal/company backed escrows for EB5 investors?
Because they don't. By "direct" I assume you mean a new commercial enterprise as opposed to a regional investment centre. If you start up a business, you cannot say that it will be profitable, or that there is an exit strategy in place necessarily.

And as for regional centres, they also aren't necessarily profitable or have a clear exit strategy either. By definition, the investment has to be "at risk".
Old May 13th 2014, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

eb52012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone here know of any Direct EB5 investments that are available to investors?
Old May 21st 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this in another thread, with EB5 direct you can not count indirect jobs plus you will probably need someone to write the business plan and help with the RFEs.