EB-3

Old Jan 26th 2020, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

UK2US08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EB-3

Hi All,

I'm a key account manager based in the UK, with around 6 years of sales/ account management experience. Unfortunately my firm does not have an office in the US, and although I have been told this is a plan for the future, I can't see this being in the next 5 years which is why I am looking at an alternative way of immigrating.

My question is, with no degree or degree equivalent certification, would I be eligible for an EB-3 visa just from my experience alone? The labor certification is a bit of a concern as although I am good at my role, there will be thousands of people across the US who could do the same job, so would this stop any chance I have?

I'm assuming from what I've read, that the only way to begin this process is to have a job offer from a US employer, so I should just start applying for positions over there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this all seems a tad confusing.

Thanks,
Old Jan 26th 2020, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EB-3

You do not need any paper qualifications for an EB3

What skills do you have that are so exceptional for a US employer to interview you, then sponsor you and wait?
Old Jan 26th 2020, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the USA?
Old Jan 26th 2020, 6:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your skills and experience are both extraordinary and in short supply, the prospects of a US employer doing anything other than entirely ignoring your application for a position in their firm is as near to zero as makes no difference. .... That an EB-3 makes you a free agent to take another job, makes it even less likely that an employer would be in the least bit interested in sponsoring you for a visa.

I had a degree and further qualifications, transferable skills and experience, .... and an American wife, so the visa wasn't an issue, and I still had great difficulty getting US employers to show any interest in me.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2020 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks All,

I have no extraordinary experience so looks like there is no point even applying.

I’m aware some companies have policies that after 2 years working for them you can transfer to one of their American offices. Maybe that would be a longer term idea if I were to change jobs
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

That could be a better option, especially if they do it regularly - I've seen Sales Leaders move in my organisation from the UK to the USA.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that’s good to know as from what I’ve read so far it’s near impossible to get sponsorship in my field.

I’ve recently had a discussion with one our directors regarding this, they are happy for me to plan the move as this is in line with where our company is heading, I just get a feeling that it may be a carrot and the stick scenario.

Even if they are open to me moving out there, I’m still not sure I’d qualify for sponsorship as we are not yet on the ground in the US, I would be the first.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US08
..... Even if they are open to me moving out there, I’m still not sure I’d qualify for sponsorship as we are not yet on the ground in the US, I would be the first.
In many respects, that would be perhaps the easiest "transfer" visa to justify, if you would be representing the "head office" in establishing a US presence. Your employer would apply for an L-1A for you, which would give you up to 7 years in the US (with renewals). It is also common, but entirely at the discretion of the employer to apply for a green card for those on an L-1 visa, and you would normally expect to be approved.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In many respects, that would be perhaps the easiest "transfer" visa to justify, if you would be representing the "head office" in establishing a US presence. Your employer would apply for an L-1A for you, which would give you up to 7 years in the US (with renewals). It is also common, but entirely at the discretion of the employer to apply for a green card for those on an L-1 visa, and you would normally expect to be approved.
Thank you, I will do some research into an L-1 visa.

This would be my preferred option anyway, rather than having to switch to a firm who already has a presence in the US.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

The EB-3 "permanent" visas and like are usually considered if already working on an L-1 etc after a certain period of time, or sometimes a promise made as part of a relocation package.

The EB-3 itself could be considered the "catch-all" skilled immigrant work visa. While it's true that there's no mandatory degree qualification attached to EB-3 applications, the more experience/skills/edu that you have makes it easier to prove that no American is available and willing to do the job when it comes to Labor Certification, part of the EB-3 process.