British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   EB-1 Visa from start (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/eb-1-visa-start-746716/)

Jojetson Jan 30th 2012 12:04 am

EB-1 Visa from start

Hi, I did post on this forum already a few days ago about an O1 visa but have since realised that my best option may be to go with the EB-1 visa. My question is where the hell do you begin with the whole process?
I have had a quick talk on the phone with a consultant at the law offices of Chris M. Ingram (breakthroughusa.co.uk) And the lady said from what she heard of my case I have an okay chance (I meet about 4-5 out of the 10 criteria) so I was pleased about that. But the fees were over 11,000 USD which is very very expensive can anyone help me on this whole subject?

Thanks again for the help and stuff, just trying to get to terms with all the files, petitions and interviews/fees etc..

Jojetson :)

Noorah101 Jan 30th 2012 2:01 am

Re: EB-1 Visa from start

Originally Posted by Jojetson (Post 9872633)
Hi, I did post on this forum already a few days ago about an O1 visa but have since realised that my best option may be to go with the EB-1 visa. My question is where the hell do you begin with the whole process?
I have had a quick talk on the phone with a consultant at the law offices of Chris M. Ingram (breakthroughusa.co.uk) And the lady said from what she heard of my case I have an okay chance (I meet about 4-5 out of the 10 criteria) so I was pleased about that. But the fees were over 11,000 USD which is very very expensive can anyone help me on this whole subject?

Thanks again for the help and stuff, just trying to get to terms with all the files, petitions and interviews/fees etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-1_visa

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD

Rene

GeoffM Jan 30th 2012 8:16 am

Wow, he's gone up in price since I used him, also for EB1A! If you have a possibility of 4-5 criteria, drop 1-2 where the reviewer doesn't agree. But you only need three; however, you need to also prove continuous improvement over the years.

3-6 months to get your case together; depends how organised you are. Pay I-140 fee. 3-5 months for standard processing of your I-140 petition. A month to get to NVC. Another 2-3 to process NVC paperwork and forms; pay immigrant visa fees ($794 per person currently). Arrange medical (£220 per adult currently). Another 1-3 months to get an interview. A week or two to get your passport back. You're all set!

I-140 petition time can be reduced to 15 days if you pay the $1225 premium processing fee and don't get an RFE. If you do, you might get up to 12 weeks to reply and then the 15 days starts again when you submit. But the attorney will most likely charge extra for an RFE. Timescales fluctuate.

clarity1971 Jan 30th 2012 10:15 am

[QUOTE=GeoffM;9873140]Wow, he's gone up in price since I used him QUOTE]

What did you do to him Geoff? :D

S Folinsky Jan 30th 2012 1:10 pm

OK, you have consulted with just one attorney. Nothing wrong with a second opinion -- on to probabilities and comparative fees. You may want to contact forum participant J Fong at www.fongandchun.com.

As a note --evaluation of the possibilities and probabilities is often a subjective call on the part of the attorney. I recall one case from when I was in practice where I was of the opinion that the client had a strong EB-2 National Interest Waiver case and a very marginal EB-1. Knowing the aversion of the former INS to NIW cases, we filed two concurrent petitions in each category. The EB-1 was approved quite quickly while the NIW produced the RFE from Hell.

GeoffM Jan 30th 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9873578)
As a note --evaluation of the possibilities and probabilities is often a subjective call on the part of the attorney.

To be fair, it's subjective for USCIS as well. Attorneys always have to try and second guess in advance how it will be received! My case had, amongst others, one category questioned and one passed first time. Both the attorney and myself thought the one that passed was worth a try, might not get anywhere; but the one that was questioned was thought to be easy. Ultimately we succeeded.