Wikiposts

EB-1 viable??

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:53 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: EB-1 viable??

All 5k are IMGs i.e International Medical Grads they have never worked as as a doc in the US before

Also my publications are in US journals and have been cited at the US academy meetings. Also British journals like the Lancet/BMJ etc are very well known and read widely in the US so no idea where you get that wild notion from. You lurch from one wild assumption regarding the EB-1 to then another regarding medical academia!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman
@jxv73 3 US states will give a licence based on UK training alone. Once you get that you can work in a federal institution in any state e.g the VA. Again I not sure if something I want to do.
Sorry to keep going off-topic but I'm very curious to know which are those three states. I am an adviser for other IMGs so this info would be very helpful to me.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so no idea where you get that wild notion from. You lurch from one wild assumption regarding the EB-1 to then another regarding medical academia!
You're not alone! This is his trademark. He lives in a world of assumption and hyperbole - supported by a distinct lack of common knowledge, reasoning, and research.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:30 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

@jxv73 Maine, North Dakota and Oklahoma not the most prestigious of states but gotta start somewhere.

Are you a consultant for IMGs may I ask?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an FYI our lawyer advised $12,000 for EB1-A.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:02 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

All 5k are IMGs i.e International Medical Grads they have never worked as as a doc in the US before

Also my publications are in US journals and have been cited at the US academy meetings. Also British journals like the Lancet/BMJ etc are very well known and read widely in the US so no idea where you get that wild notion from. You lurch from one wild assumption regarding the EB-1 to then another regarding medical academia!
I am sorry I don't understand how it all works. I am not trying to run you down I just don't understand how it all works. Your a GP, like my GP? So you do the same job he does the same job thousands of others do up and down the country? Your not a researcher are you? Are you as well known in medical circles for instance Chris Steele or Hillary Jones. Would my GP be as well known as them? You don't have a speciality do you?

How these IMG's get hired do they apply for jobs at hospitals and practices directly or are their agencies that work to place overseas doctors in the U.S?

Last edited by customsquestion; Nov 2nd 2013 at 3:23 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some purely anecdotal evidence: I am in non-medical academia (mathematics) and know one person in my area who came in on EB-1, with everyone else on EB-2 (including myself). We all have international publications, international conference work, membership of professional associations, etc. - we would never have jobs in academia at all if we didn't! The EB-1 person is known even within these circles as being very strong. No, he hasn't/won't win a Fields medal, but he is certainly above a substantial percentage of his peers.

I know that academic career achievements can look quite special if you list them out, but I think the key here is sorting out what is just part of doing your job at the (probably very high!) level demanded by your profession, and what really puts you above your peers.

Obviously, I have no idea which side of this applies to you! I also haven't tested my hypotheses, since EB-2 was available to me. Perhaps use your networks to get a feel for how this plays out in your own field?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:26 am
Banned

Customs so you think GP's don't do research or get published? Any more wild assumptions up your sleeve?? Chris Steele is a tv celeb! Practically all the great medical pioneers have not appeared on This Morning. If you think a measure of how good or renowned a clinician you are is which tv show you are on it just shows how little you know. Yes those 5k are hired directly by hospitals with cap exempt visas.

Yeah the amount quoted by lawyers varies widely anyone know any decent ones???
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

@jxv73 Maine, North Dakota and Oklahoma not the most prestigious of states but gotta start somewhere.

Are you a consultant for IMGs may I ask?
Not a consultant. I'm an IMG myself. I volunteer as an advisor on ECFMG's IMG Advisor Network.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:47 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Customs so you think GP's don't do research or get published? Any more wild assumptions up your sleeve?? Chris Steele is a tv celeb! Practically all the great medical pioneers have not appeared on This Morning. If you think a measure of how good or renowned a clinician you are is which tv show you are on it just shows how little you know. Yes those 5k are hired directly by hospitals with cap exempt visas.

Yeah the amount quoted by lawyers varies widely anyone know any decent ones???
But Steele is only a GP isn't he like my GP or you? He has his own practice doesn't he? Steele must have known the right people and been in the right place at the right time to get that tv gig. Medicine is who you know isn't it? But no I didn't think GPs did research I thought they treated patients in the office made referrals to hospitals, wrote prescriptions and made house calls and worked 9-5, 9-6. I always thought research was done in labs and universities to find a cure for cancer or new heart drug. I have learned something today thank you.

How long does it take for the cap exempt visas to be filled?

Last edited by customsquestion; Nov 2nd 2013 at 3:58 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by customsquestion

How long does it take for the cap exempt visas to be filled?
Quite hilarious if you are on drugs could I have some of them please?

jxv73 yeah I heard of this IMG advisor network. I think main thing I learned is if you are an old IMG trying to get a residency is near nigh impossible. Much more feasible to look at allied medical fields like pharma etc

retzie yeah I dont know about maths academia so we are even! But I wouldnt necessarily write my creds on here as it would sound very arrogant. I do think I have done a lot more than the average doc in terms of qualifications, research etc Naturally the EB-1 is case by case but I think I could present it as showing I have done a lot and can offer more than the average doc which I think is what the EB-1 is all about.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Maine does have very good nursing and research facilities though and if you hit Portland area, you're only a hour from Boston and a lot of the hospitals are linked together because of it. But Portland really would be the high point, though Bangor and to a lesser extent, Waterville are okay for medical work.

A lot of research in and around Bar Harbor too, mostly by Jackson Labs but there are other places in some right shitholes like Auburn/Lewiston.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:36 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
Interesting that you would say that. Looking at recent AAO decisions it seems that USCIS now takes Kazarian as gospel. Do you mean it was a "everything changes to stay the same" situation?
It bears remembering that the AAO only reviews DENIALS. And then when it gets to the District Courts of Appeals and the Courts of Appeal, the scope of review is much more limited -- the court will NOT substitute its own judgment.

So, a false impression of what the law can be created. The trick with Kazarian is to "distinguish" the case at hand and to word things differently.

I recall one EB-1 that I did where I asked my client if he knew of anyone who might have good things to say about him. My Asian client said he knew of a German woman in his field who was teaching at UCLA. He contacted her and it turned out that she was thrilled that he was in the U.S. and felt that he was superior in his state of knowledge and his work was the basis for her work! Oh, also, she was an "O-1" non-immigrant. I mention this because the language of Kip Thorne's letter in Kazarian struck me as not being all that good.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 yeah I heard of this IMG advisor network. I think main thing I learned is if you are an old IMG trying to get a residency is near nigh impossible.
Depends, I guess, on what you consider "old". If you are in your 40s it is still possible. In your 50s, you may actually be hired as a visiting professor without having to go through residency (several states have special licensing procedures for just this situation - the license is restricted to an academic medical center).
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 8:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Here is some purely anecdotal evidence: I am in non-medical academia (mathematics) and know one person in my area who came in on EB-1, with everyone else on EB-2 (including myself). We all have international publications, international conference work, membership of professional associations, etc. - we would never have jobs in academia at all if we didn't! The EB-1 person is known even within these circles as being very strong. No, he hasn't/won't win a Fields medal, but he is certainly above a substantial percentage of his peers.

I know that academic career achievements can look quite special if you list them out, but I think the key here is sorting out what is just part of doing your job at the (probably very high!) level demanded by your profession, and what really puts you above your peers.

Obviously, I have no idea which side of this applies to you! I also haven't tested my hypotheses, since EB-2 was available to me. Perhaps use your networks to get a feel for how this plays out in your own field?
This reminds me of an old "Schedule A, Group II" petition I prepared back in the late 1980 for an astronomer. [Today's EB-1 extraordinary ability is roughly the current analogue of Schedule A, Group II]. When I advised her of the requirements, she commented "What is so special about that, anyone in the field will have those qualifications." The petition was approved. [BTW, she had been granted asylum from Eastern Europe and the fall of the Berlin Wall put her adjustment at risk. We did the I-140 as a back-up, turned out it was not necessary].

BTW, I've noted that many people seem to forget that Schedule A, Group II still exists! It can serve as a substitute for a labor certificate for either EB-2 or EB-3. Schedule A, Group II sometimes will include people not quite within EB-1 extraordinary ability since it requires "only" exceptional ability. I wonder why OP limited his questions to EB-1 classification.

For OP, he might want to take a look at the old Schedule A, Group II case of Matter of Medical University of South Carolina.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Nov 2nd 2013 at 8:10 am. Reason: expand on Sc A, Gp II

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.