Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

easy one - country of residence = UK, Britain, or Scotland?

easy one - country of residence = UK, Britain, or Scotland?

Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default easy one - country of residence = UK, Britain, or Scotland?

With respect to the forms that I am filling out i.e I-864, country of residence be specified as which of the following from your experience?

I would guess UK would be the most appropriate....but should it be abbreviated or spelled out?

Britain?

or Scotland?

Sorry if you think it is anal, but hey I love my wife and believe in attention to detail...you never know if someone on the other end might be to.

Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of

You'll be pretty safe with United Kingdom.....
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:40 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

i put great britain on mine, because that is what is in my passport, but im sure either Uk, or the actual country..ie, england will do too
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:37 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: easy one - country of residence = UK, Britain, or Scotland?

Originally posted by infotec28
With respect to the forms that I am filling out i.e I-864, country of residence be specified as which of the following from your experience?

I would guess UK would be the most appropriate....but should it be abbreviated or spelled out?

Britain?

or Scotland?

Sorry if you think it is anal, but hey I love my wife and believe in attention to detail...you never know if someone on the other end might be to.

Thanks!
Put down United Kingdom - Scotland isn't a country, it's a province of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We've got one of the longest country names in the world - "not a lot of people know that" Michael Caine.

PS Don't know how the rubgy and soccer teams get away with it

PPS I could be talking shite, but it sounded good, and I used United Kingdom on my form, and I'm in the US now, so it must have been good.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by infotec28

Britain?

or Scotland?

Thanks!
Hi:

We use either "United Kingdom" and if little space on the form, the abbreviation UK is just fine.

Do note that the State Department "Reciprocity Table" at http://travel.state.gov uses "United Kingdom"

Actually, I wouldn't worry all that much about it as long as it is clear from context -- I've seen forms with "UK", "Great Britain", "GB" "England" "Scotland" or "Wales" and no one seemed to blink.

When you think about it, the terms of "country", "state" and "nation" [or say "country of nationality"] are not exactly synonymous although they often overlap. A study of the political philosophies surrounding the United States Civil War will demonstrate that. Also, Puerto Rico is a separate "country" for the Olympics, but its citizens are U.S. citizens and carry US passports..
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

jockgurl is an unknown quantity at this point

province indeed!!!!!!!!!!.If you are a jock put that down.I have scottish in my passport and always put scotland down as my country of origin.I can honestly say I have NEVER in all my years listed my self as British,Im Scottish and we are a different breed of people!!!.I may have a "British" passport but im a damn proud jock !!!!. The fact its part of Uk is just an accident due to some very dirty dealings in history .........the b****rds lol (hubbys english so they aint all bad!!!!!!)
On a more serious note though I did always list myself as Scottish but have discovered enough to realise the BCIS would probably rather see UK listed
Bugger !! just had a thought here,Im American now so kindly disregard anything Ive said on this subject( damn Im confused now,better go lay down)

happy filing and lotsa luck
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:33 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Euskal Herria

Damn, all this confusion over nationality... I sure am glad we didn't feel the need put down Euskal Herria (Basque Country) on her forms or somebody would still be looking for that on a map.

Viva España!!! Viva Aragon!!!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

ninja is an unknown quantity at this point

Scotland is a country!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

For country of residence we put down Wales

For nationality I put down UK for my husband... then he told me I should have put down British. \????
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:16 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default As are...

Wales, Ireland, Euskadi, Galicia, Catalunya, Valencia, Georgia, Armenia, Kurdistan.... (and each may have a certain historical grievance) eventually every village will consider itself a soverign state, followed by each citizen being declared an autonomous entity.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:09 pm
Michael

our local INS (JAX) office tought UK was the Ukraine.

Home Page: http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/h/khogue22/index.htm
Join in chat at #ukweather on undernet and #usweather on Austnet.
KI4BVL

Old Aug 21st 2003, 6:56 am
Paul Wells

infotec28 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > With respect to the forms that I am filling out i.e I-864, country of
    > residence be specified as which of the following from your experience?
    >
    > I would guess UK would be the most appropriate....but should it be
    > abbreviated or spelled out?
    >
    >
    > Britain?
    >
    > or Scotland?
    >
This is what the CIA says:

"England has existed as a unified entity since the 10th century; the
union between England and Wales, begun in 1284 with the Statute of
Rhuddlan, was not formalized until 1536 with an Act of Union; in
another Act of Union in 1707, England and Scotland agreed to
permanently join as Great Britain; the legislative union of Great
Britain and Ireland was implemented in 1801, with the adoption of the
name the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; the Anglo-Irish
treaty of 1921 formalized a partition of Ireland; six northern Irish
counties remained part of the United Kingdom as Northern Ireland and
the current name of the country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain
and Northern Ireland, was adopted in 1927."

So in theory you should put "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland".

--
Paul

Old Aug 21st 2003, 7:00 am
Andy Platt

Yes, that would be correct because he has British citizenship. FWIW, on my
forms I put down UK whenever it asked for a location and British when it
asked for my citizenship.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

"BeachBunny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > For country of residence we put down Wales
    > For nationality I put down UK for my husband... then he told me I should
    > have put down British. \????
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 21st 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

melanieberns is an unknown quantity at this point

I put "England, UK" as country of residence for my fiance. And, "British" as his nationality. So far things have gone fine. I really think they will get the picture....It's not at all like the "N/A" versus "none" thing.

good luck!
melanie