EAD and subsequent SSN

Old May 2nd 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD and subsequent SSN

My better half has finally got her EAD after 4.5 months and a RFE...

On the original form, our attorney ticked the box requesting the SSN be issued automatically. Does anyone know how long this takes - is it the typical 2 week sort of thing or should it have been delivered with the EAD?
Old May 2nd 2018, 8:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD and subsequent SSN

That's so interesting. This must be a new option. I haven't seen any reports of this on the forum.

I'd give it the standard 2-week turnaround and then follow up in person with SS if the card doesn't show up in the mail.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

benthamr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiversaint
My better half has finally got her EAD after 4.5 months and a RFE...

On the original form, our attorney ticked the box requesting the SSN be issued automatically. Does anyone know how long this takes - is it the typical 2 week sort of thing or should it have been delivered with the EAD?
Hi, I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but I am in a similar situation. My EAD has been outstanding for a month, and I was hoping it wouldn't be too much longer till finalized, but sounding likely that I still have a bit of a wait.

Would you be able to let me know what an RFE refers to please? I'll keep a look out on this thread as well as I've also ticked the box for SSN to be done at the same time.

thanks
rob
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

May I also ask if your other half has managed to secure a job offer prior to receiving the EAD?

I'd held off speaking to recruiters till last week, but wanted to get the ball rolling and hopefully have something lined up by the time the EAD comes. I work in Finance and am living in NYC
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benthamr
Hi, I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but I am in a similar situation. My EAD has been outstanding for a month, and I was hoping it wouldn't be too much longer till finalized, but sounding likely that I still have a bit of a wait.
4 to 5 months seems to be the typical wait for an EAD at the moment so you're going to be waiting a fair bit longer I'm afraid.
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Olly_
4 to 5 months seems to be the typical wait for an EAD at the moment so you're going to be waiting a fair bit longer I'm afraid.
I had seen the expected wait times on USCIS, but was still holding out hope for it to come through quicker. At least the weather is picking up...
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be able to let me know what an RFE refers to please?

thanks
rob
RFE means Request for Further Evidence.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
RFE means Request for Further Evidence.

Rene
Thanks Noorah. Do you know if this is a fairly normal request? What type of things may they ask for? We have already provided copies of both mine and my wife's visa as well as marriage certificate. Apologies, I'm sure something that's been asked many times before
Old May 2nd 2018, 10:07 pm

1. Yes, it's normal.
2. Could be for anything.

Sometimes USCIS themselves lose something from the file... then they send you an RFE for another copy.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the RFE basically requested everything that we had already submitted, and it mainly focused on me rather than her.

So ironically, the VERY day I start this thread, her SSN arrived. About a week after the EAD itself. Super convenient and no need to deal with the SS office who can be awful for unusual visa types such as ourselves.
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

May I also ask if your other half has managed to secure a job offer prior to receiving the EAD?

I'd held off speaking to recruiters till last week, but wanted to get the ball rolling and hopefully have something lined up by the time the EAD comes. I work in Finance and am living in NYC
We didn't want to start looking for a job without one for a few reasons. Firstly because of the very long apparent waiting times that we're reading about in the last year, and secondly, we didn't want to get put in a situation where someone might ask to start work early on the sly and we then subsequently burn a bridge by saying no. Our visas were a nightmare to sort out (like everyone's), and risking anything just did not seem worthwhile.
Old May 4th 2018, 1:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

At the SSA office I visited recently, there was a sign up saying that USCIS have gotten slower processing things so don't bother asking for an SSN card, they'll issue it automatically when USCIS does their bit.
Old May 4th 2018, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you I submitted for adjustment of status, alongside an EAD and AP card on December 18th, fingerprints taken in March, still waiting.

Thankfully I don't need either right now due to being here on an L1 and being married to a USC, but perhaps that'll give you an idea of *some* processing times for EAD.
Old May 4th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost at the 6 month mark waiting for my EAD and yes, there is a new option to apply for a SSN at the same time as your EAD. I think that started in around Sept 17.