EAD and SSNs

Old Jul 28th 2022, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD and SSNs

my kids have got I-765 - EAD (and also I-131) approved - We are adjusting status. Are they now eligible for Social security numbers? also if they leave and reenter the US, do they still enter under their L status?

thanks
Old Jul 28th 2022, 8:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD and SSNs

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
my kids have got I-765 - EAD (and also I-131) approved - We are adjusting status. Are they now eligible for Social security numbers? also if they leave and reenter the US, do they still enter under their L status?

thanks
I was told not to use my AP as my L1 was still valid all until I became an LPR. My understanding is the only reasons to us the AP/EAD is if your L is no longer valid or if you were looking to work for someone other than the L1 employer. That said I think with L2S you effectively have an EAD now so can work for anyone (bar someone jobs restricted to USC) anyway. That said I believe if the L1 used theirs all the dependent L2’s work have to as well.
Old Jul 29th 2022, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure the answer is yes, since the I-9 form accommodates use of EAD (I re-did my I-9 when I received my EAD and had to start using it due to my other status expiring).
Doesnt hurt by going to your SS office and finding out.

If they reenter under I-131 (assume this EAD is C09P) they are paroled in until adjustment of status or refusal. So won't be in L-2 at that point.

Last edited by neill; Jul 29th 2022 at 1:42 am.
Old Jul 29th 2022, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
There is a question on the I-765 that asks if they have an SSN, and if not, whether they want an SSN to be issued. Assuming that you guys said yes, the SSN should be issued automatically.

If they are maintaining L2 status right now before they leave, and they have a valid L2 visa, and their parent is in valid L1 status when they re-enter, they can enter using their L2 visa into L2 status. Or they can enter using AP into Parolee status.
Old Jul 29th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

re 'If they are maintaining L2 status right now before they leave, and they have a valid L2 visa, and their parent is in valid L1 status when they re-enter, they can enter using their L2 visa into L2 status. Or they can enter using AP into Parolee status.'

thanks. is there any benefit or downside with one or the other?
Old Jul 29th 2022, 7:30 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

re 'If they are maintaining L2 status right now before they leave, and they have a valid L2 visa, and their parent is in valid L1 status when they re-enter, they can enter using their L2 visa into L2 status. Or they can enter using AP into Parolee status.'

thanks. is there any benefit or downside with one or the other?
I think this is why I was told to keep using the L1a:

https://anwarilaw.com/immigration-se...ng-485-status/
Old Jul 29th 2022, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
I think this is why I was told to keep using the L1a:

https://anwarilaw.com/immigration-se...ng-485-status/

thanks so much. excellent info!