what is needed to secure a Social security Card? Thank you

Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:20 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is a EAD required

Originally posted by Ben Dover
Is an Employment Authorazation Document required to work if a person
enters the US under a Fiancee Visa, then get married. Additionally
Depends if you want to work as soon as possible or not as to whether you require work authorization or not. If you do, as a K1, your visa is valid for 90 days after arrival in the States, you are entitled to 90 days work authorization, then when your K1 expires, so does your work auth. You then file at your local BCIS office/or Service Center, dependant on your location, for a 1 year EAD. You should file this with your AOS application papers after marriage, as it can't be filed before this.

Your best chance to getting the temp 90 day work stamp is to fly to a POE (airport) which is giving out the stamp. I went through JFK, and got mine, and that's the only POE I'm aware of who give it out, but there may be one or two other POE's who still do it. If you don't get your stamp at the POE, you will need to file for it at your local office. It can take up to 90 days for them to process it, though, so in my opinion, it's well worth trying to get it at JFK.

As far as the SSN goes, I filed an application 2 days after I got here, and BCIS hadn't put my details in their system, so SS couldn't verify my status. I was told to wait up to 3 months for them to receive manual verification from BCIS. I waited about 3 and a half weeks with no joy, and eventually a BCIS officer on the helpline advised me to go to to my local office with all my K1 documents, and ask them to fax the verification to SS. I did, and I had my number a few days later.

Some people wait a few weeks before they apply for an SSN, so it gives BCIS time to update their system, but there's no consistency with BCIS, so it's pretty hit and miss.

When I applied, I took my passport, (which had in it my I-94 with 90 day work stamp and my visa), my K1 approval notice, and my birth cert.

Kate. xxxxxx
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is a EAD required

Originally posted by Ben Dover
Is an Employment Authorazation Document required to work if a person
enters the US under a Fiancee Visa, then get married. Additionally
Hi:

A K-1 entrant is authorized to work "incident to status." They will not be in violation of the law if they work without an EAD.

Furthermore, an employer will not be in violation of the laws prohiting the the employment of "unauthorized aliens."

However, the employer WILL be in violation of the paperwork requirements unless they see an EAD.