EAD Renewal - Now I am scared

Old Feb 11th 2001, 6:05 am
asyoandpetunia

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help so far. I did a search on "EAD renewal" and found a previous post
saying that the LA office is taking 120 to 130 days! I have a fantastic job and I don't
know what to tell my bosses... If it takes more than 90 days should I walk in or should I
try to arrange something with my work?

Also, I looked up the address I send my AOS to and I am all set to send my EAD to that
same address. However, I noticed a few comments in other posts about EAD applications
being forwarded to the CSC. Unfortunately I could not find the rest of the thread. Could
anyone who has successfully renewed in LA or at least has the appointment notice clarify
this for me. I am still unsure, but I am going to send it to the district office anyway
(probably tomorrow judging by the wait time I read about). I am currently 120 days out
from having my EAD expire. I cannot afford to screw this up...

Thank you (yet again), Ross and Bianca

Old Feb 11th 2001, 8:25 am
ritapetrie

You send it to LA where your paperwork is. If they want to send it to CSC, they will do
so. Since it is taking so long, I would send it now rather than later.

Rita

> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for all your help so far. I did a search on "EAD renewal" and found a previous
> post saying that the LA office is taking 120 to 130 days! I have a fantastic job and I
> don't know what to tell my
bosses...
> If it takes more than 90 days should I walk in or should I try to arrange something with
> my work?
>
> Also, I looked up the address I send my AOS to and I am all set to
send
> my EAD to that same address. However, I noticed a few comments in
other
> posts about EAD applications being forwarded to the CSC. Unfortunately I could not find
> the rest of the thread. Could anyone who has successfully renewed in LA or at least has
> the appointment notice clarify this for me. I am still unsure, but I am going to send
> it to the district office anyway (probably tomorrow judging by the wait time I read
> about). I am currently 120 days out from having my EAD expire. I cannot afford to screw
> this up...
>
> Thank you (yet again), Ross and Bianca

Old Feb 11th 2001, 9:48 am
Alvena Ferreira

> Thanks for all your help so far. I did a search on "EAD renewal" and found a previous
> post saying that the LA office is taking 120 to 130 days! I have a fantastic job and I
> don't know what to tell my bosses... If it takes more than 90 days should I walk in or
> should I try to arrange something with my work?
>
Walk in with a letter from your employer when it is getting about a week before your EAD
expires...this letter should say somthing to the effect that they desperately need you to
be able to continue in their employ and that they are requesting an expedited EAD card so
that you can be maintained in their workforce. Bring your filing receipt. Look pitiful and
whine and bed and prayerfully request the EAD...that would be my approach.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Feb 11th 2001, 10:34 am
Michele Sharik

Alvena wrote:
> Look pitiful and whine and bed

::chuckle:: i sure hope that's a typo, Alvena!!

--
-Michèle
------------------------------------------------------------
"Remember, SCSI is not black magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it is
necessary to sacrifice a goat at midnight in order to get a SCSI device working properly."
- Arnoud Engelfriet
------------------------------------------------------------

> > Thanks for all your help so far. I did a search on "EAD renewal" and found a previous
> > post saying that the LA office is taking 120 to 130 days! I have a fantastic job and I
> > don't know what to tell my bosses... If it takes more than 90 days should I walk in or
> > should I try to arrange something with my work?
> >
> Walk in with a letter from your employer when it is getting about a week before your EAD
> expires...this letter should say somthing to the effect that they desperately need you
> to be able to continue in their employ and that they are requesting an expedited EAD
> card so that you can be maintained in their workforce. Bring your filing receipt. Look
> pitiful and whine and bed and prayerfully request the EAD...that would be my
approach.
>
> alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Feb 11th 2001, 10:42 am
Alvena Ferreira

Michele Sharik wrote:
>
> Alvena wrote:
> > Look pitiful and whine and bed
>
> ::chuckle:: i sure hope that's a typo, Alvena!!
>
Well, er, actually it might work better! hehe... alvena

Old Feb 11th 2001, 11:17 am
porsche914gt

DON'T SEND IT TO LAGUNA!!!! This is my story...

I live in LA and July 1, I mailed my EAD renewal to Laguna (just like the application
form says) 2 months before my EAD expiration. I received a letter from Laguna end of
July saying that my application had been received and they would notify me when it is
processed. I was getting a little nervous and decided to post a message asking for
advise from LA filers on this NG. Everyone said I should have filed in person at the LA
INS office!!!

When I found that out, I immediately went to the LA office to refile in person I just
could not wait for the first application to be processed. I had to go in line very early
in the morning, but they gave me an appointment for pick up that was 3 weeks later (5 days
before my EAD expired). So, I did ok after all.

My first application to Laguna was filed July 1, and I received a note within a month
saying they were dealing with my case and would let me know the outcome soon. In October,
I sent a note saying I wanted to withdraw my application, and around the same time, I
received a note from them saying that my file was transferred to my local office LA, and
LA would process my application. In December they answered my withdrawal letter saying
that my application had been transferred out to my local INS (LA office) and they could
not help me. Today is Feb 10, and believe it or not, I have not yet heard a thing from the
LA office about this first application... I have no idea if they are still trying to
process it or they saw that I had renewed my EAD anyway...

So, all I have to say is: don't send your application to Laguna, go in person to your
local INS!!

Good luck.

Christelle

> Hi guys,
>
> don't know what to tell my bosses... If it takes more than 90 days should I walk in or
>
> Also, I looked up the address I send my AOS to and I am all set to send my EAD to that
> same address. However, I noticed a few comments in other posts about EAD applications
> being forwarded to the CSC. Unfortunately I could not find the rest of the thread. Could
> anyone who has successfully renewed in LA or at least has the appointment notice clarify
> this for me. I am still unsure, but I am going to send it to the district office anyway
> (probably tomorrow judging by the wait time I read about). I am currently 120 days out
> from having my EAD expire. I cannot afford to screw this up...
>

Old Feb 11th 2001, 11:43 am
porsche914gt

I had responded to your other post (dated 2/8/01), but it got returned. I just reposted it
on this thread FYI, but I wanted to add the following.

Don't worry, you will be fine. I am filing in LA too, and I renewed my EAD at that office
in August. I got the new EAD within 3 weeks of the filing in person at LA. You need to get
your application ready with the copy of EAD and everything else, and get in line outside
of the INS office downtown, the line will take you inside of the room 1001. You need to
get in line by 5am, 6am at the latest. Doors open at 7am. An officer will look over your
application, and if everything looks good, he will give you a ticket with a number on, to
access to the next room.

Before you get in the next room, you have to get in line at the cashier to pay your EAD
fees ($100), they will stamp your application to show that you paid and will give you the
original receipt which you will need to keep. Once you paid, go to the next room and wait
for your number (I had to wait 3 hours). When they call your number, you go to the
indicated officer, and you present your entire application, they will look over it (1
minute), ask to see you current EAD card, and then if everything is ok, they will give you
a letter for an appointment to pick up your new EAD card. My appointment was 20 days
later, but I hear from other LA filers that the average wait is 30 days.

20 days later, I pick up my new EAD just like I did the first one (go to the basement).

The EAD renewal process in LA is very easy, it is just a 1/2 day process, once you have an
appointment scheduled, you're safe.

If your EAD expires in May, I think you are too early to file, you should wait at least
another 2 months. One of my coworker filed a little too late for a renewal (less than 30
days) and it turned out that her EAD pick-up was a couple of weeks after her original EAD
expired, our Human Resources department said that the letter of appointment for pick-up
was a good proof that she was legal, so not to worry about it, just bring the card over
when she got it.

I hope you are now reassured for good, if not, please do not hesitate to contact me
directly, I only go on this NG at the week-end.

Christelle

> Hi guys,
>
>
> Also, I looked up the address I send my AOS to and I am all set to send my EAD to that
> same address. However, I noticed a few comments in other posts about EAD applications
> being forwarded to the CSC. Unfortunately I could not find the rest of the thread. Could
> anyone who has successfully renewed in LA or at least has the appointment notice clarify
> this for me. I am still unsure, but I am going to send it to the district office anyway
> (probably tomorrow judging by the wait time I read about). I am currently 120 days out
> from having my EAD expire. I cannot afford to screw this up...
>

Old Feb 11th 2001, 11:51 am
Clark

I renewed my 1 yr EAD (and AP) in July 2000 using the Los Angeles Bar Association's
'Immigration Legal Assistance Project'. It's a walk in clinic right in the INS building on
N Los Angeles Street. It was about 5 weeks from the day I went there to the day I had my
EAD pick up appointment. Here's a link to their site
http://www.lacba.com/community/ilap.html

BTW don't line up at room 1001. Enter through the front and go directly to the LACBA
upstairs. ( for the room number-the building directory is on the far left wall of the main
entry hall)

Casey (at 22 months and counting for our AOS interview)

Old Feb 11th 2001, 3:00 pm
asyoandpetunia

Ok, so now I have two options:

1. Mail it now and if it still hasn't arrived go in person with a letter from my employer.

2. Wait a while and then file in person to try to get an appointment.

What do you guys think...(and bed is not an option or else I will be writing to find out
the best way to get divorced!). Eeny Meeny Miney Mo..?

Regards, Ross