EAD question

Old Jun 26th 2001, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Jeremy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

On June 7, I went to file my AOS paperwork and applied for my 1 year EAD card in the Kansas City office. I was expecting, from previous posters experiences, to receive the EAD that same day, but the policy changed due to the backlog caused by the LIFE act. The INS person told me that a letter for my EAD will be sent in 4-6 weeks.

Now what I'm wondering from those of you who have had to wait for the EAD, does the letter give a specific date/time that I'd have to go to pick up the EAD? And if so, generally how much of a gap of time is there from the time the letter is received/sent to the time the date is scheduled?

I am getting a little worried about that since yesterday I received a letter from INS stating that my AOS fingerprinting is scheduled for July 30. I am hoping that this doesn't mean that I'll have an EAD appointment later than July 30. Does anyone have any info or experiences to soothe my nerves?

Thanks
Jeremy
Old Jun 26th 2001, 1:44 pm
mhaley12345

We didn't go through Kansas City, but if it helps, we had to wait about 4 weeks for
Paul's EAD and AP. We went through Tampa and they gave him the date and time to
return to pick them up when he turned in his AOS paperwork.

Old Jun 26th 2001, 1:55 pm
Jonathan_ATC

The fingerprints have nothing to do with the EAD appointment. You will get a letter,
with an appointment date for the EAD. You go in on that date and they do the EAD card
right then and there. As for fingerprints, you get a separate letter, to go to a
separate location. Nothing to do with one another.

However, just because they told you on June 7 that the EAD letter would be SENT in
4-6 weeks does not mean you will get an EAD appointment in 4-6 weeks. Only that the
letter will be sent. The appointment could be another 4-6 or more weeks later down
the road. IOW, don't count on the EAD appointment being near the date they sent out
the letter.

The fact that you got an appointment for fingerprints is a bonus, as many do not get
those until their second or third year waiting on AOS. Perhaps this means you will be
done with AOS in a short time and not even really need an EAD. (of course, show up
for your EAD appointment anyway!!! you never know!)

Good luck to you. Don't plan on working right away though.
--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 26th 2001, 2:26 pm
Daisy

We went throu gh the Kansas City office and it sounds to me like they are scheduling
you for your AOS interview, thus the letter for your fingerp rints....you may not
even need an EAD.

Daisy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >