Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

To EAD or not to EAD. Thats the question!

Wikiposts

To EAD or not to EAD. Thats the question!

Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default To EAD or not to EAD. Thats the question!

My EAD expires on the 16th of march 2005, but I have my AOS interview on the 21st of january. Now would be about the time I should be re-applying for my EAD and sending off the $175 dollars. Now while I know no AOS interview is a slam dunk case, I'm pretty sure we have everything in place to be approved according to the requirements on the NOA of AOS. So is it worth the gamble of not re-applying for an EAD? and if I was to do this and I did run into problems at the interview, could they grant me an extended EAD on the day of the AOS interview?.

My next question is. If approved for AOS, will the stamp they place in my passport have an expiration date on it?. I need to know, as my driving license expires the same date as my EAD and I will need to get it updated.

Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To EAD or not to EAD. Thats the question!

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
My EAD expires on the 16th of march 2005, but I have my AOS interview on the 21st of january. Now would be about the time I should be re-applying for my EAD and sending off the $175 dollars. Now while I know no AOS interview is a slam dunk case, I'm pretty sure we have everything in place to be approved according to the requirements on the NOA of AOS. So is it worth the gamble of not re-applying for an EAD? and if I was to do this and I did run into problems at the interview, could they grant me an extended EAD on the day of the AOS interview?.

My next question is. If approved for AOS, will the stamp they place in my passport have an expiration date on it?. I need to know, as my driving license expires the same date as my EAD and I will need to get it updated.

Thanks
Personally, I would spend the $175 to be on the safe side. What if they can't issue a stamp yet because of some kind of security check wait (as I often hear happens).

I'm curious to know the answers to your questions, also!

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
When was your EAD issued? Is this an interim EAD? Interims may be extended but 1-yr EAD will not be renewed / extended without filing for a new one.

If approved, you will likely receive an ADIT stamp in your passport, valid for a year.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

jsv888 is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice: pay the $175! We had our AOS in early September, didn't apply for a renewal EAD (mostly because the woman conducting the interview said the FBI check can take 4 weeks at the most). They don't stamp anything in your passport the day of the interview. You don't get any approval until the FBI check goes through. Anyway, it's been 9 weeks now and no green card. His EAD runs out in 3 weeks and you can't get an interim one until 90 days has past since you applied for renewal. So my husband will most likely lose his job in 3 weeks because from what I've read on this site, FBI checks are taking up to 4 months. Don't gamble, pay the $175. They will most certainly NOT grant you an extended EAD on the day of the interview.

Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
When was your EAD issued? Is this an interim EAD? Interims may be extended but 1-yr EAD will not be renewed / extended without filing for a new one.

If approved, you will likely receive an ADIT stamp in your passport, valid for a year.
Hi sphy,

His is the 1-year EAD, not the interim.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jsv888
They don't stamp anything in your passport the day of the interview.
I hope you are just referring to your particular case. If everything is approved, most people receive an ADIT stamp at the interview.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi sphy,

His is the 1-year EAD, not the interim.

Rene
Thanks Rene. In that case, the OP might want to determine whether the name check and fingerprints have been sent back from the FBI yet. That might help him wager the probability of his background check not being complete by the time the interview takes place.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I e-filed last night to be on the safe side. $175 is a small price to pay in case there are any problems with AOS interview.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:17 am

I e-filed last night to be on the safe side. $175 is a small price to pay in case there are any problems with AOS interview.
Smart man!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

jsv888 is an unknown quantity at this point

They told us everything was approved, they were just waiting for some final FBI check. They didn't stamp anything. Is everyone else getting stamped?? Why do I feel like only certain people are having this FBI problem?

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
I hope you are just referring to your particular case. If everything is approved, most people receive an ADIT stamp at the interview.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jsv888
They told us everything was approved, they were just waiting for some final FBI check. They didn't stamp anything. Is everyone else getting stamped?? Why do I feel like only certain people are having this FBI problem?
If they are waiting on an FBI name check then everything wasn't approved...

As others have said, you can contact the FBI name check folks and see if the name check has cleared.