E5 Investor Visa

Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:54 am
Just Joined

paddymcl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E5 Investor Visa

My family and I want to move to the US within the next five years.

I'm heading out to scope places out in FL, GA, and SC later in the year. The family will join me on another trip next year to see what we think of it collectively.

The information on the .gov website is pretty good on this visa, but I'm having trouble finding information on/experiences of people who have already done this.

From what I can see, this is a long an convoluted way to get in (more paper work than other visas)... but it is also more direct. It means investing $500k to $1million.

Has anyone on here done or considered this? Also, I've read about companies who can set up the business and investment side of things for you. Are there any of these I should be wary of, or any that are recommended?

Thanks!
Paddy
Old Jun 20th 2018, 11:19 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E5 Investor Visa

You might want to get a scoot on, if comprehensive immigration reform ever happens under Trump, EB5 will most likely be on the chopping block.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 11:29 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re in a position to potentially lose upwards of $500,000 surely you can afford professional legal advice from an immigration lawyer? That would be my first port of call rather than posters on a website (most of whom did not go down this route).
Old Jun 20th 2018, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
You might want to get a scoot on, if comprehensive immigration reform ever happens under Trump, EB5 will most likely be on the chopping block.
Funny you should mention that. Not five minutes after posting this, I found out about the proposed reforms for the E-5 program. It looks like I better start saving up. They're trying to double the minimum investment amounts. Trust it to happen when we finally decide to give it a go

I also didn't realise there was a huge backlog.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if the investment amount has ever been increased, certainly has been the current amount for a very long time so overdue for review.

Over the years a few have done this. I have seen a =t least one thread from somebody who went the cheap route AND got their money back.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I invested an EB5 Regional scheme in 2008 and I have spoken to other EB5 investors.

First off, you should be prepared to 'invest'/ lose $570k not $500K. Expect to pay $35-50k in fees to the EB5 promoters and $25-35k to your lawyer.

Many of the schemes are extremely risky and border on absurd. The risk to your money is very high. I am out of touch with specific details on schemes. But you need to do lots of research and think the investment through. Don't believe the glossy brochure.

I was 'lucky' and got my money and a small return back. However, my cash was tied up for 10 years and the return was less than inflation. A large part of that I attribute to bad timing and the Global Financial Crises of 2008-09.

Last edited by cranston; Jun 20th 2018 at 4:29 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
If you’re in a position to potentially lose upwards of $500,000 surely you can afford professional legal advice from an immigration lawyer? That would be my first port of call rather than posters on a website (most of whom did not go down this route).
I have a lawyer, but it's nice to hear from folks who've been through the mill.

Thanks for the info folks. I'm not banking on getting it back, and thanks for the heads up re factoring in the fees and lawyer bills. All very helpful! Hopefully, we can get the ball rolling before any adjustments come into effect. It doesn't seem to be a priority from the transcripts I've read on the senate... Sounds like they're focusing on other aspects of migration. Saying that, I'm not holding my breath. It could still go up next year if they get around to debating it sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cranston
I invested an EB5 Regional scheme in 2008 and I have spoken to other EB5 investors.

First off, you should be prepared to 'invest'/ lose $570k not $500K. Expect to pay $35-50k in fees to the EB5 promoters and $25-35k to your lawyer.

Many of the schemes are extremely risky and border on absurd. The risk to your money is very high. I am out of touch with specific details on schemes. But you need to do lots of research and think the investment through. Don't believe the glossy brochure.

I was 'lucky' and got my money and a small return back. However, my cash was tied up for 10 years and the return was less than inflation. A large part of that I attribute to bad timing and the Global Financial Crises of 2008-09.
All incredibly helpful. Thank you!