E3 Renewal

Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

denmeado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E3 Renewal

Hi all,
Have been speaking with the law firm that handled my initial E3 application. They were recommending I renewed when I went to Hong Kong for business...but I am dubious about this. I'd prefer to renew internally (without leaving the country) or go up to Calgary where I initially received it (no problems.)
Has anyone renewed without leaving the country...is it easy to accomplish? I can't find much info on it. Apart from it seems like a re-application with all the same info required as the initial application....
Cheers.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denmeado
Has anyone renewed without leaving the country...is it easy to accomplish? I can't find much info on it. Apart from it seems like a re-application with all the same info required as the initial application....
Cheers.
Visa are renewed out of the US since 2004
https://www.immigrationsupport.com/pdf/Visa_Renewal.pdf
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ray,
Ugh...seems like there is lots of contradictory info. After posting my question I found this:
"Form i-129 Instructions rev 07/30/07 pg16
E3 Australian Free trade
1. Change of status to E3 and E3 Extension.
Mail the form i-129 package to the Vermont serive center, regardless of where the E3 beneficiary will be employed."
....sooooo, it seems like you can do it from inside the country....
hmmm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denmeado
Thanks Ray,
Ugh...seems like there is lots of contradictory info. After posting my question I found this:
"Form i-129 Instructions rev 07/30/07 pg16
E3 Australian Free trade
1. Change of status to E3 and E3 Extension.
Mail the form i-129 package to the Vermont serive center, regardless of where the E3 beneficiary will be employed."
....sooooo, it seems like you can do it from inside the country....
hmmm.
USCIS cannot issue a visa .. only Consulates can do that ..
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Ah ha. So maybe a trip to Canada after all...might need to speak with the immigration firm too. Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Blue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really niceBlue1 is just really nice

You can renew the visa or do a change of status to E3 whilst in the US at Vermont, this is what I did. I have read a lot of places where this has taken some time. Once you get the E3 you will get an I-94 extension which will allow you to remain in the country until the E3 expires or get another renewal. If you leave the country and want to return you will have to go to a consulate to get the visa stamped in your passport. This consulate process is basically the same documentation as when you had to apply so you may as well apply for another 2 year renewal.

You can also go to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days and enter on your I-94, no visa stamped in passport. Make sure you print out a copy of the ruling from the USCIS website as not all Immigration Office now all the rules.

Always best to go to a consulate that has experince in E3 so you donot have any delays.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,
Looks like I will just skip the whole internal re-application with USCIS in Vermont. My employer is offering to send me to Calgary and just reapply directly. Should save a lot of time and worry. I am going to take all the same items as my initial application plus I-129. I'll post how it went! Has anyone else done this?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Search the old thread called "E3 to GC" and there are lots of people who got a new E3 in Canada. Seems to be the easiest way to "renew".
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

nikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nice

I got my E3 extension via USCIS in just under 1 month. LCA takes only 1 day to get approved if you have everything they require at hand. Going to Canada or any other place to get an extension is still a risky option as far as I know.

IF for whatever reason you are denied an entry then you will be land-locked and may have no way to come back into the US (POE may not allow you even on VWP because they can see that you worked and then got visa denial the 2nd time around and they are always skeptical of such people entering on VWP). Although so far no one on this forum seems to have faced this problem, by all means it still can happen. So I think the best way to go for extension is to apply through USCIS, especially if you have an attorney because you just can send your documents and forget about it until you get the approval notice in mail!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

crazy_aussie is an unknown quantity at this point

What date did you apply for the extension, recently? Do you know what the published processing times for I-129 at VSC were when you applied? I'm seeing 3 or 4 months published processing times.

Originally Posted by nikiAkl
I got my E3 extension via USCIS in just under 1 month. LCA takes only 1 day to get approved if you have everything they require at hand. Going to Canada or any other place to get an extension is still a risky option as far as I know.

IF for whatever reason you are denied an entry then you will be land-locked and may have no way to come back into the US (POE may not allow you even on VWP because they can see that you worked and then got visa denial the 2nd time around and they are always skeptical of such people entering on VWP). Although so far no one on this forum seems to have faced this problem, by all means it still can happen. So I think the best way to go for extension is to apply through USCIS, especially if you have an attorney because you just can send your documents and forget about it until you get the approval notice in mail!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

nikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nicenikiAkl is just really nice
Smile Re: E3 Renewal

Originally Posted by crazy_aussie
What date did you apply for the extension, recently? Do you know what the published processing times for I-129 at VSC were when you applied? I'm seeing 3 or 4 months published processing times.
Yes, published times are almost always the maximum time (3-4 months) they may take to process an application and they would probably never publish the minimum time. I applied just before christmas and got the approval by 2nd week of Jan. If you have all your paper-work in order and ready then I dont see the point in going to Canada or elsewere to get your extension. Goodluck!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

OzziePP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
Please help me out - I am a little confused about the E-3 renewal process. My E-3 will expire in May.

From what I understand, one needs to fill-out the I-129 and apply to USCIS. After that how do you get the renewed visa stamp in your passport - that is not dealt by USCIS but by Dept of State? Do you have to leave the country to get that? I know when we had applied the first time we were told (and on the website at the time) that the visa can be renewed without leaving US. But I found this stated on the US Dept of State website today:file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/P%20GARG/Desktop/Visa%202008/Visa%20renewal%20-%20Dept%20of%20State.htm)- "Visa Renewals: For renewals or revalidations of E, H, I, L, O and P visas, applicants must now apply abroad, generally in their country of residence."

So, do we have to go to Canada or somewhere to do this?

Thanks,
OzziePP
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

sirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzziePP
Hi Everyone,
Please help me out - I am a little confused about the E-3 renewal process. My E-3 will expire in May.

From what I understand, one needs to fill-out the I-129 and apply to USCIS. After that how do you get the renewed visa stamp in your passport - that is not dealt by USCIS but by Dept of State? Do you have to leave the country to get that? I know when we had applied the first time we were told (and on the website at the time) that the visa can be renewed without leaving US. But I found this stated on the US Dept of State website today:file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/P%20GARG/Desktop/Visa%202008/Visa%20renewal%20-%20Dept%20of%20State.htm)- "Visa Renewals: For renewals or revalidations of E, H, I, L, O and P visas, applicants must now apply abroad, generally in their country of residence."

So, do we have to go to Canada or somewhere to do this?

Thanks,
OzziePP
Hi OzziePP,

I am not familiar with renewing the E3 using the I-129, but this thread seems to suggest that once your I-129 is approved.. that you will receive a I-797 Notice of approval receipt.

To get your passport stamped, it sounds like you will need to bring both the I-129, I-797 to an overseas consulate such as Canada. But I am not sure if you will also need an LCA, DS-156, your degree etc? You might want to consult an immigration lawyer.

However I have first hand experience on how to renew the E3 at a U.S. consulate (without the I-129 first), as I just did this a couple of weeks ago.

I will post my experience following this.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

sirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nicesirck is just really nice
Default Renewal of E3 at Calgary

A couple of weeks ago, I renewed my E3 for the 1st time at the Calgary consulate. I am staying with the same employer.

So I will try to explain what was required in my case:
1. Make an appointment at http://www.nvars.com for the consulate.
2. Bring a recently taken U.s. passport photograph.
3. Pay US$131 to Scotiabank with the 3 bank forms that you receive from www.nvars.com.
4. Make sure you bring the following with you on the day of the interview:
- 2 x Scotiabank stamped forms with a bank stamp verifying the US$131 visa fee payment
- LCA
- DS 156 (with attached u.s. passport photo)
- DS 157 (required only for males)
- Job offer letter explaining that my existing position will only be extended another 2 years to match the E3 visa duration.
- Passport

Questions they will ask you:
- What is your status in Canada i.e. Visitor
- So why are you renewing your E3 now, when you still have x months left on it?
- How many years of schooling is this degree?
- How did you find out about this job?
- What do you do at your job?
- Explain your job position?
- Why do you want to work in the States as opposed to Australia?
- Do you have any proof that you work for the current company? Business card, pay stubs?

Advice for anyone else taking this route to renew their E3 in Calgary:
- Get there 30 mins before your interview is scheduled.
- Bring proof of current employment e.g. Business card, pay stubs, W2 etc.
- No questions about ties to Australia, although you should still bring some just in case. I brought my bank and superannuation statements.
- No degree equivalency forms needed, but this might be because I have an Australian degree. Bring one just in case.

In Summary:
It's just like your initial E3 application, the only thing that is different is that your job offer letter needs to say that they are extending your employment for another 2 years.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

So was your new E3 issued for the duration of the job offer, or issued as of the day you went to Canada (ie. several months before the old one ended)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.