E3 - No degree

Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:44 am
Just Joined

michael_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E3 - No degree

Hi all,

Looking for any insight into how stringent officials are when it comes to substituting career experience in lieu of a degree. I’m currently sitting on 11.5 years of experience in my field, have numerous industry (IT) certifications, and have worked within the US for 4 years on a L1 visa. I'd now like to move to a new employer, though I am somewhat concerned about hitting a roadblock with the E3. Any opinions as to if this is a possibility or is it likely to be a flat out 'no'?

Also, in terms of evaluation services, does anyone have recommendations?

WES - looks sketchy,
Morningeval - looks sketchy
Trusteforte - Look decent, thinking about reaching out to them.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 - No degree

Originally Posted by michael_f
I'd now like to move to a new employer, though I am somewhat concerned about hitting a roadblock with the E3.
I can tell you this, nothing will happen if you don't take a chance. What's the worst that could happen if you don't get the E-3?

Also, in terms of evaluation services, does anyone have recommendations?
Since you ask, I recommend you don't get anything evaluated until you find out whether or not your future sponsor wants or needs something evaluated.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Ian - from your previous posts you're typically very direct, so the fact you're not saying "no chance" gives me some hope

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I can tell you this, nothing will happen if you don't take a chance. What's the worst that could happen if you don't get the E-3?
Very good point - I just don't want to end up wasting anyone's time essentially. Both my current and prospective employer are ~top 5 global banks, could this perhaps hold some weight (that they're well known massive firms)?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Since you ask, I recommend you don't get anything evaluated until you find out whether or not your future sponsor wants or needs something evaluated.

Ian
My future sponsor doesn't require it themselves, they've already provided a letter of offer, though I'm considering it as possible 'insurance' in the way that it couldn't hurt.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 6:07 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

12 years is the no degree threshold. so with another six months and I see little problems.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weebie
12 years is the no degree threshold. so with another six months and I see little problems.
This is the most watertight method, it also means waiting 6 months - something my new employer is not willing to do.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:57 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
The figure of 12-years is not cast in stone: if you can demonstrate progressive experience to high levels of competence and responsibility in less than 12 years you are still approvable. And it cuts both way, of course: if someone has been stuck in a dead-end tech support position for 15 or 20 years doing nothing more than telling people to reboot when they have problems, they probably have no chance.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I used Trusteforte and found them fast and good. If you don't need to fork out for it, don't - I was having my education assessed according to the US system, but if you don't have those transcripts to unravel, it may not be worth it for you.

I agree with Ian - apply and see. They may ask for more info but I doubt you'd get a flat refusal.