E3 to GC

Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

s_aditya_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E3 to GC

Originally Posted by Bootle
Before you even think about asking these questions you may want to check up on your eligibility for Australian citizenship. Most avenues require some sort of permanent residency within Australia during the last 12 months before application.
the eligibility is you have to stay 2 years in 5 years of PR and 1 year should be in the two years of your application date. that is the reason I am confused whether to go for the citizenship for or not coz i ahve 1 year completed in the and have PR till next oct 2009 and from now till oct 09 i need to complete to either get a citizenship or renew my PR.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s_aditya_1
If i take Australian citizenship, will i loose my indian passport?
No.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No.

Ian
Ian, this says differently. Has something else changed?
http://www.immihelp.com/nri/dual.html
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:20 am
Just Joined

s_aditya_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
http://www.immihelp.com/nri/dual.html
Yeah i heard the same we loose the indian passport
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, there certainly is some confusion: http://www.indiadualcitizenship.com/.

Although, to be fair, the more I read on this, the more it seems that India stands alone from the rest of the Commonwealth of Nations by not allowing dual citizenship. Okay then... my bad.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Actually Ian if you read the FAQs it specifically states that an OCI holder is not granted a passport but is given a visa in the passport of the OCI holders other citizenship.

Also for the OP - you may want to look very carefully as to your ability to obtain Australian citizenship and then check the other posts on here regarding converting from E3 to GC as there is a risk that your E3 won't be renewed and the risk is that you will not get your GC before your E3 expires as GC processing is done off place of birth not citizenship.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Wakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bootle
Actually Ian if you read the FAQs it specifically states that an OCI holder is not granted a passport but is given a visa in the passport of the OCI holders other citizenship.

Also for the OP - you may want to look very carefully as to your ability to obtain Australian citizenship and then check the other posts on here regarding converting from E3 to GC as there is a risk that your E3 won't be renewed and the risk is that you will not get your GC before your E3 expires as GC processing is done off place of birth not citizenship.
I can answer that because i know 3-4 ppl in my company who got theit E3 extended without an issue and 1 of then got his GC before his extension was approved and then 2 weeks later for an extension approval as well
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

neilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really nice

Ok, I can surely clear the passport issue.

Well, Indian Constitution now allows dual citizenship with AU.
HOWEVER, the administrative issues exists i.e. there is a disconnect.

Because they are not able to tackel this, what they ahve done is
have come up with OCI cards. Basically once you get AU citizenship,
you have to go to the Indian Consulate and they actually cut the
passport. i.e. just the hard cover (front page) This means you INDIAN
passport is not a travel document ANYMORE.

So if you say aare not AU citizen and on AU passport with above,
and if you wish to travel to India, you have to apply for visitor VISA.
to overcome this, they invented this OCI. THat allows you multiple visits
to India. This is just a eligibiliy card and you are still not able
to hold both Indian and AU passports. I got my citizenship not long
ago and my friends who are recent AU citizens inform me that the process
is the same.

To cut to long story short, as sonn as you are AU citizen - indian PP
is invalid.

ANother thing to consider is your Citizenship eligibility. So you gotto
check that mate before you go any further.

More than happy to help if any other questions on AU citizenship etc.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

neilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really nice

Aditya,

One more thing, no matter what you citizenship you GC application gets
assessed based on your 'place' of birth. SO even if you are AU citizen,
ain't gonna make any difference in your GC application. It will be
assessed as INDIA place of birth and hence its a long wait. I am told
some 5-7 years.

So I am not sure to get GC you need to get AU citizenship, not gonna make
any difference unfortunately.

AU PP obviously has advantages such was VWPs with various countries,work
rights here etc etc.

Dont waste your time to get AU citizenship with the hope to get GC faster-
thats the bottom line.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:38 am
fld
Forum Regular

fld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wakkas
i think so.. ppl apply together while on individual H1Bs and E3 is no different from H1B..

Wakkas
Yes it is for the following reasons:

1. E3 holder's spouse is allowed to work either full-time or part-time or even study part-time and work full-time, or whatever he or she wishes to.

2. E3 holder's spouse is allowed to work for as many employers as he or she wishes to unlike the principal E3 visa holder who has to only work for the sponsor.

3. E3 visa can be renewed indefinitely while I think H1B visa can only be renewed for up to 6 years.

This is all I can think of now.

Regards,
fld.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:45 am
fld
Forum Regular

fld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by s_aditya_1
the eligibility is you have to stay 2 years in 5 years of PR and 1 year should be in the two years of your application date. that is the reason I am confused whether to go for the citizenship for or not coz i ahve 1 year completed in the and have PR till next oct 2009 and from now till oct 09 i need to complete to either get a citizenship or renew my PR.
Last time I checked it was 1 year residency effectively prior to the application date, too. This means you have to have been in AU 1 year before you apply for AU citizenship and the other 1 year can be non-continuous stays in the other 4 years. Also, they count 365 days = year, to be exact.

Regards,
fld.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Yup - thats right. Thats why I said to Aditya, not ENSURE that his AU
citizenship eligibility is ok !
Also, just to complicate it : Its not as easy. If say he stays here
for 12 months immediately before the applicatio, he then applies and
then he has to wait for thet application to be processed.(In my case
it was around 1-1.5 months.
After that is processed one has to wait for the ceremony where the
citizenship certificate is handed out. Now this function/ceremoney has
waiting list depending on where/which subburn you live (Mine took
2-3 months ). Say if its
western sydney it will take you longer to get through. Ceremony is
usually held every weekends. So there is that. Now after this, you
apply for passport. Getting PP is not difficult and you can get
over night PP if your case is urgent so thats no issue.

So basically waste of time if Aditya's AU citizenship need is to get
US GC quicker. Basically Indian born means 5-7 years regardless of
citizenship.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Wakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to beholdWakkas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fld
Yes it is for the following reasons:

1. E3 holder's spouse is allowed to work either full-time or part-time or even study part-time and work full-time, or whatever he or she wishes to.

2. E3 holder's spouse is allowed to work for as many employers as he or she wishes to unlike the principal E3 visa holder who has to only work for the sponsor.

3. E3 visa can be renewed indefinitely while I think H1B visa can only be renewed for up to 6 years.

This is all I can think of now.

Regards,
fld.
I know that but i was referring to the fact that E3 is no different from H1b when dealing with GC process and getting GC. all the process is same for E3 holders as well

Wakkas
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilk
Yup - thats right. Thats why I said to Aditya, not ENSURE that his AU
citizenship eligibility is ok !
Also, just to complicate it : Its not as easy. If say he stays here
for 12 months immediately before the applicatio, he then applies and
then he has to wait for thet application to be processed.(In my case
it was around 1-1.5 months.
After that is processed one has to wait for the ceremony where the
citizenship certificate is handed out. Now this function/ceremoney has
waiting list depending on where/which subburn you live (Mine took
2-3 months ). Say if its
western sydney it will take you longer to get through. Ceremony is
usually held every weekends. So there is that. Now after this, you
apply for passport. Getting PP is not difficult and you can get
over night PP if your case is urgent so thats no issue.

So basically waste of time if Aditya's AU citizenship need is to get
US GC quicker. Basically Indian born means 5-7 years regardless of
citizenship.

Hope that helps.
Absolutely right.. you gave a great description of all factors. But i am here and i see what indian and china national ppl go through when on H1b. especially for ppl who are married and their spouses cannot work. Also if the GC takes more than 6 years and they have to come back into H1B quota. If on E3 atleast that part of the life is easier. and also you have a backup of being a citizen of australia (just in case US doesnt work out)

Wakkas
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Wakk,

Yes, AU - E3 - GC is a much easier (not easy but easier) way to go about
it.

Having said that, I am still here in AU and trying to get over there !

Financial markets have not helped at all !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.