British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   E2 Visa (The mine field have you been here before) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/e2-visa-mine-field-have-you-been-here-before-929323/)

chess Nov 17th 2019 10:36 am

E2 Visa (The mine field have you been here before)

Hi

I am looking for some guidance regarding the e2 visa application if you could point me in the right direction your help would be appreciated.
I am looking to invest $80k in a company providing a bespoke package for the customer based in the Riverside area. I have a couple of questions that your input would be beneficial towards.
  • is the e2 process to hard to file yourself?
  • what employees are needed for the application (my plan would only need my self and partner in the 1st 12months)
  • Does my partners visa cost extra
  • Do you have any recommendations on immigration attorneys . (who I could use who to avoid)
  • Do you know a rough cost for the services (from what I researched they are so varied but unsure why)
  • Are there any hidden costs to be aware of.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIANCES WITH ME

All thought it is only for a week, I am in the riverside area from the 21st so if I could arrange any meetings with the relevent people whilst there that would be great. im fully aware that the help given is only advise this is a big venture for me and my partner and the exicution from the start will play a critical role in the out come.

Thanks for your time

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 17th 2019 4:38 pm

Re: E2 Visa (The mine field have you been here before)

$80k seems low very low and what visa is your Partner looking at?

Noorah101 Nov 17th 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12764979)
I am looking to invest $80k in a company providing a bespoke package for the customer based in the Riverside area.

$80K seems very low for the E2 investment visa. I'm not sure what a bespoke package is.

is the e2 process to hard to file yourself?
Probably not hard, but not advisable, especially with such a low investment amount.

what employees are needed for the application (my plan would only need my self and partner in the 1st 12months)
Sorry, not sure....good question for a lawyer. When you say "partner", do you mean business partner, or relationship partner? Are you married?

Does my partners visa cost extra
Depends on whether you mean business partner, relationship partner, or spouse.

Do you have any recommendations on immigration attorneys . (who I could use who to avoid)
No personal recommendation, but go here to search and make contact with a few: www.ailalawyer.com

Do you know a rough cost for the services (from what I researched they are so varied but unsure why)
No, sorry. It varies from lawyer to lawyer, based on what they need to do for your case, and simply based on the lawyer's normal fees. They vary because no two lawyers charge exactly the same fee.

Are there any hidden costs to be aware of.
I'm not sure, but the lawyer should be able to tell you all the costs involved.

I take it English is not your first language....where are you from?

Rene

Rete Nov 17th 2019 7:03 pm

Where is Riverside located. I'm sure there is one in CA but there is also one in New York City.

chess Nov 17th 2019 7:26 pm

Why is 80k considered low?
From what I have been reading, it is based on a financial commitment to make the business work. I am not sure on how my partner will be coming as we are not married.
would it be an option to have her come as a business partner?

chess Nov 17th 2019 7:36 pm

A bespoke package is unique to the customer and is built around their needs on top of the core structure of the product.

My 1st language is English but the struggle with dyslexia is unfortunately a daily struggle.

Thanks for the link

chess Nov 17th 2019 7:44 pm

Sorry Rete yes Riverside California

Noorah101 Nov 17th 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12765149)
From what I have been reading, it is based on a financial commitment to make the business work. I am not sure on how my partner will be coming as we are not married.

If she wants to come over as anything but a spouse, she will need her own separate visa, which can be difficult to get. My advice is to get married and have her come with you as the dependent spouse.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 17th 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12765149)

She could also apply for a E2.

By the very nature of an E2 such an investment sounds marginal, I appreciate that there have been cases where for example the visa supported a multi million contract that it might work, obvious a lot depends on your business plan but you said you were not initially employing anybody?

chess Nov 17th 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12765200)
She could also apply for a E2.

By the very nature of an E2 such an investment sounds marginal, I appreciate that there have been cases where for example the visa supported a multi million contract that it might work, obvious a lot depends on your business plan but you said you were not initially employing anybody?

For the 1st 12 months I was not initially planning on hiring an employee. the second year would then see the growth of employees. The main reason for lack of employees from the start is due to the nature of what I intend to do the market research is very limited and I am working with bare minimum numbers for the 1st year predictions.

I was expecting the risk of the investment to be considered as I am not backed by a big organisation its all done of my own back.

chess Nov 17th 2019 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12765199)
If she wants to come over as anything but a spouse, she will need her own separate visa, which can be difficult to get. My advice is to get married and have her come with you as the dependent spouse.

Rene

okay thank you for the advice the link you provided has been very use full I have now reached out to some attorneys from the page.

shiversaint Nov 18th 2019 3:11 pm

$80k is not "very low". Very low would be $40k. A safe amount is $100k. I know people that have got 5 year E-2s on $50k - it's all in the business plan being realistic.

chess Nov 18th 2019 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by shiversaint (Post 12765455)
$80k is not "very low". Very low would be $40k. A safe amount is $100k. I know people that have got 5 year E-2s on $50k - it's all in the business plan being realistic.

thanks for your reply, that is the impression I was under. I am seeking help with the bussiness plan to make sure it is watertight and the ideas I have can be translated in a plan the best way possible. If the people you know have any feed back on there process I would appreciate the help. Cheers

shiversaint Nov 19th 2019 2:36 pm

The "idea" so to speak isn't really the formative basis of the business plan - the way you are being vague about what you actually want to do makes me concerned that you think you've come up with an idea that will convince a consular officer alone. That is not the case, and it doesn't work that way. I am guessing you're starting a service business - which is one of the harder categories to qualify for as you need to show it won't be a subsistence business. For example, wedding planning would be a tough one, unless you've got a model that's going to employ a load of US citizen wedding planners - not something that really happens as it's traditionally a one man band business.

The plan needs to demonstrate that you fully understand what you are doing, which means you'll need to be able to answer questions about it, and it needs to demonstrate realistic, achievable ambition when it comes to employing US citizens. Most people I know had their business plans reviewed by a CPA and provided a letter from them indicating that the revenue projections were plausible.

E-2 Consular Officers have a business degree - they will know if there's something not right with your plan. Very few people complete E-2s without attorneys, and whilst the good people here can give general advice, the specifics which will be unique to what you're looking to do are definitely beyond this forum.

E-2s do not need to see employment in the first year, they like to see it in year 2-3 and you should be aiming for 5 employees.

Your partner could be brought over if you can justify an essential employee E-2 visa for them. However it would restrict that individual to working for the E-2 organization only. The ability to get a second income from elsewhere is probably going to be quite valuable, so I would go down the marriage route to get a derivative visa off of your own, then they can work for another company.