E2 visa and I 94 renewal

Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Ria123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa and I 94 renewal

Hi
I am on an E2 visa with 3 years left to run, my I 94 was issued for 2 years and is about to expire. Can I visit Canada for a short trip and be issued with a new I 94 on my return or do I have to leave the whole of North America? Thanks
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 visa and I 94 renewal

Are you Canadian?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Hi
No, I am British, was hoping to visit Canada or Mexico to get a new I 94 on re-entry as its so costly to fly to Europe at the moment!
Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Hi if you go to Canada you have to go for a period of over 2 weeks apparently.

This has been confirmed by several people who have recently been.

Cx
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks, we did think it was something like that
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you apply for an I94 extension?
http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/C1en.pdf
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:10 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Just to present a different perspective, if you decide to do it in Canada, sure the flight is shorter and cheaper, but you probably wanna be there for a week, if not more, and probably have to pay for hotel and rental car there. If you have family/friends in the UK, when you fly back there you can stay with them while applying for a visa, and the total cost may actually be lower
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: E2 visa and I 94 renewal

Originally Posted by lisa67
Why don't you apply for an I94 extension?
http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/C1en.pdf
Yes I may well do that, didn't know it could be done that way until 3 days ago! Next year we will be in a better position to fly home for a week or 2, thanks for the reply
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Just for anyone else who ever needs to know. I couldnt renew my I-94 online as my company would not fill in the 35 page form on my behalf, which was required. So I went down to the Mexican border, left my car USA side and walked across into Mexico. I then went to the line to re-enter the USA, joined the queue for I-94 and permits,(about 20 people) and went into the office when called. They gave me a new 2 year I-94 no problems. All this took about 1 hour in total. I couldnt find anything on the US website to say you cant do this, I couldnt find anything to say you had to leave for x amount of days or you have to go further than Mexico or Canada.
Im not saying every one should do this, im just saying it worked for me no problems
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:37 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ria123
Just for anyone else who ever needs to know. I couldnt renew my I-94 online as my company would not fill in the 35 page form on my behalf, which was required. So I went down to the Mexican border, left my car USA side and walked across into Mexico. I then went to the line to re-enter the USA, joined the queue for I-94 and permits,(about 20 people) and went into the office when called. They gave me a new 2 year I-94 no problems. All this took about 1 hour in total. I couldnt find anything on the US website to say you cant do this, I couldnt find anything to say you had to leave for x amount of days or you have to go further than Mexico or Canada.
Im not saying every one should do this, im just saying it worked for me no problems
What you did give you a fresh 2 year of E-2 status but doesn't renew the actual visa. If you leave the U.S. after the E-2 visa expiration date, you'll still have to get a new one at a U.S. consulate abroad.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Yes that's true, but I have 3 years to run, I only needed a new I-94!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
What you did give you a fresh 2 year of E-2 status but doesn't renew the actual visa. If you leave the U.S. after the E-2 visa expiration date, you'll still have to get a new one at a U.S. consulate abroad.
But OP does state I-94 in post, and does not refer to an extension of E-2