E2 visa help re: fees

Old Oct 26th 2016, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Tuckster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa help re: fees

Hi all,

I'm newcomer, so please forgive me if this has been answered/is common knowledge. I'm finding it extremely difficult to get straight answers from anywhere.

Basically, my company is going to move me over to our NYC office on an E2 visa. They're prepared to pay all my fees.

They're not, however, prepared to pay my wife's fees. We've been told that for her to apply and get an EAD will cost just under £3,000. Does this sound right? Can someone break it down for me?

Long story short, we're having to sell basically everything we own for this, move in with my parents for a while to save money, I'm going to get screwed by the post-Brexit exchange rate as I'll stay on my sterling salary, and we're really questioning whether all this is even worth it.

Thanks!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 visa help re: fees

Originally Posted by Tuckster
Basically, my company is going to move me over to our NYC office on an E2 visa.
If you're being transferred, why aren't they sending you over on an L-1 visa? It would seem to make more sense!

We've been told that for her to apply and get an EAD will cost just under £3,000. Does this sound right? Can someone break it down for me?
Go to www.uscis.gov/forms and look at the cost of applying for an EAD (form I-765). You may be pleasantly surprised!

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian, all I know is it's an E-2.

Re: the form, that may well be the case, but perhaps her E-2 dependent visa would be the bulk of the £3k?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lawyers fees could be anything.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, that's interesting.

So maybe we can bypass using my company's lawyers?

Can anyone tell me just straight up what it costs to get my wife a visa and a work permit?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:41 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

E2's are used when a person hasn't worked at a company for a year. I moved over on an E2 and my first day at the company was in Houston.

Whoever told you it was $3,000 was giving you poor information.

The E2 visa allowed me to bring my wife and children over for the full 5 years. It allows my wife to apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) which means she can work.

This cost around $400 and took 90 days to arrive.

These were the only costs incurred by me in what seems to be a similar situation.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, that's encouraging, thanks Dave.

I'd imagine it's the legal fees that are driving this up... at which point did your wife apply for the EAD? After you already had your visa? Was this before or after you left for the US?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, I've been at the company nearly four years, so I'm not quite sure on the ins and outs of why I'm on an E-2...
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:55 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

You can't apply for an EAD until you have a Visa and are in country.

My wife didn't need to work, but got bored of the Stepford wife thing and so we got it about a year after arriving. Another year down the line and she hasn't even applied for a job.......

I honestly cannot understand the info you are being given. If the company are paying for your visa, then your wife's is a dependant and there is no cost for that (I believe).

The EAD is a fixed price thing, that you do yourself. You just go online, fill in the form and print it and send it with a check (Get used to checks).
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:58 pm
Banned

By the way, I've been at the company nearly four years, so I'm not quite sure on the ins and outs of why I'm on an E-2...
L1 would give you a very quick and easy route to a Green Card at which point you could quit your job and go elsewhere.

E2 is tied to the company, leave the company and either find another E2 company, or go home. There is not really a direct route from E2 to Green Card

That has often been my company's reasoning behind it
Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, I think I'm beginning to understand.

We're not in a position whereby we can live there with one of us not working, that's not feasible.

But for example, if I had my visa approved, but didn't yet move to the US, would my wife be able to apply for the EAD in preparation for us both to move together 90 days later?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave
L1 would give you a very quick and easy route to a Green Card at which point you could quit your job and go elsewhere.

E2 is tied to the company, leave the company and either find another E2 company, or go home. There is not really a direct route from E2 to Green Card

That has often been my company's reasoning behind it
.... and it cuts both ways. My employer transferred me on an L1-A and then went back on their word to sponsor a green card petition. Their rationale was, that when my L1 was no longer renewable, they'd apply for an E1 or E2 for me. That's the main reason I quit.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not particularly after a green card, we're just looking to take the opportunity to live in New York for three-to-five years... but what at first seemed like an exciting prospect is slowly turning into a financial and logistical nightmare!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:13 pm
Banned

Okay, I think I'm beginning to understand.

We're not in a position whereby we can live there with one of us not working, that's not feasible.

But for example, if I had my visa approved, but didn't yet move to the US, would my wife be able to apply for the EAD in preparation for us both to move together 90 days later?
I believe you need to have a US address and your wife needs a Social Number to apply.

Realistically you wouldn't receive an EAD for her for at least 105 days from landing, most likely a little longer
Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Okay. In which case, I'm sure I do understand now. Her visa – in order for us to move at the same time and both work – must be a different kind than simply an E-2 dependent's visa, hence the cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.