E2 Visa Granted

Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

smithbcbp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Visa Granted

I've been a long time lurker here on the forum throughout the process of applying for an E2 visa for my family and I. We attended the US Embassy today and our E2 visa petition was granted. The initial duration of our visa is 5 years. Our timeline was as follows:
  • August 11th - Evidence file in support of application received by US Embassy
  • August 18th - Status on visa status check website changed to 'ready'
  • September 21st - Request for additional information
  • September 26th - Additional information received by US Embassy
  • October 6th - Invitation to adjudication interview
  • October 11th - Interview

Hope that gives those just starting the process an idea of the time that it may take. Our application might have been a little quicker but I made the decision to handle the application myself rather than use an immigration solicitor. That saved us money but probably caused a two to three week delay to our application as I didn't initially include all the information that they needed to make a decision.

Anyhow, just wanted to pop my head above the parapet today to thank everyone who has selflessly shared their own experience on this forum as you have given us a lot of help and encouragement over the last few months.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa Granted

Originally Posted by smithbcbp View Post
We attended the US Embassy today and our E2 visa petition was granted.
Congratulations! If you don't mind: What type of business was it? What was your financial investment in the business? Where is the business located? These all affect the outcome for a visa application... and time to process isn't the only consideration.

Ian
Old Oct 11th 2016, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Ian,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Our situation is slightly unusual as we initially acquired a shipping consultancy franchise in the US as a purely financial investment in Jan 2015. My sister in law lives in Nevada and we thought that she would do well managing this type of business, which she has done successfully since then. The business took off even more quickly than we had anticipated so we decided that we would come to the US to oversee it's growth ourselves.

The franchise cost $50K and we funded the business to break even over the course of the first year which cost a further $40K. The business has been cash flow positive since February 2016 so our application was on the basis of the $90K we had already committed to the business. We were concerned that this was not going to be deemed a substantial enough investment but since we could demonstrate that it had been enough to acquire the franchise, launch the business and to grow it to the point of consistent profitability, they seemed happy with the comparatively low dollar amount invested.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know and I'll be happy to oblige.

Colin
Old Oct 16th 2016, 5:16 am
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ian,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Our situation is slightly unusual as we initially acquired a shipping consultancy franchise in the US .....
Courtesy of Google, as far as I can tell this means a UPS Store franchise, or similar contract shipping location.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Courtesy of Google, as far as I can tell this means a UPS Store franchise, or similar contract shipping location.
We acquired a courier and freight services re-selling franchise from InXpress. InXpress are a B2B shipping consultancy business who work with SMB clients to help them save time, effort and money on their shipping. We looked at UPS store franchises but they deal largely with B2C domestic parcels which is lower margin than than B2B international parcel and freight work that InXpress focus upon. A UPS store also has much higher fixed overheads due to the cost of a suitable retail location. Our InXpress franchise operates from a small office. It would have cost nearer to $200K to set up a business of that type with further money needed for working capital to cover the comparatively high fixed overhead until the business became cash generative. We concluded that the B2B courier and freight re-seller business model has greater growth potential and lower start up and operating costs than a UPS Store and decided to move forward with it. As I said in an earlier post, we looked at this initially as a purely financial investment and subsequently made the decision to go to the US and be more hands on with the investment as the business has grown much more rapidly than we had initially anticipated over the course of the last 12 months.

For anyone who thinks this might look interesting as an option for them, InXpress is not the only business of this type operating via a network of franchisees in the US. Unishippers and Worldwide Express also offer franchises in this space although, as they are more established businesses, the number of franchise locations still available with them are pretty limited.

Colin
Old Oct 20th 2016, 6:42 am
Just Joined

insideoutCA is an unknown quantity at this point

We acquired a courier and freight services re-selling franchise from InXpress. InXpress are a B2B shipping consultancy business who work with SMB clients to help them save time, effort and money on their shipping. We looked at UPS store franchises but they deal largely with B2C domestic parcels which is lower margin than than B2B international parcel and freight work that InXpress focus upon. A UPS store also has much higher fixed overheads due to the cost of a suitable retail location. Our InXpress franchise operates from a small office. It would have cost nearer to $200K to set up a business of that type with further money needed for working capital to cover the comparatively high fixed overhead until the business became cash generative. We concluded that the B2B courier and freight re-seller business model has greater growth potential and lower start up and operating costs than a UPS Store and decided to move forward with it. As I said in an earlier post, we looked at this initially as a purely financial investment and subsequently made the decision to go to the US and be more hands on with the investment as the business has grown much more rapidly than we had initially anticipated over the course of the last 12 months.

For anyone who thinks this might look interesting as an option for them, InXpress is not the only business of this type operating via a network of franchisees in the US. Unishippers and Worldwide Express also offer franchises in this space although, as they are more established businesses, the number of franchise locations still available with them are pretty limited.

Colin
May I ask why your get 5 years? They all say 2 years.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 6:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by insideoutCA View Post
They all say 2 years.
Who is "they"? Where are you getting your information? Why do you believe everyone gets only 2 years?

Hint: If you want good information, you need to give good information. We're pretty good when it comes to answering questions... but we aren't mind readers.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2016, 10:52 am
Just Joined

We got five years rather than the initial two as we were able to demonstrate that the business had already been operating since February 2015, has grown significantly in that time, that it has been cash generative since February 2016 and that 25% of existing franchisees have achieved our projected growth within the same time period or less. Had that not been the case, I'm sure we would have only been granted two years. From what I understand, 2 years are normally granted for start ups or to businesses that do not yet meet their criteria for marginality.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

ecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond repute

We too got 5 years but on a start up business.. Every case is so so different so I think a blanket generalisation stating most get 2 years is quite misleading. The outcome of an application will be dependent on the individual case.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

gwensvilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering if he is confusing e2 status, which normally get 2 years and e2 visa which are currently getting 5 years due to the reciprocity agreement ...sometimes less is given, if the criteria are marginal.