Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

For an E2 visa, do you need to apply where you are resident or where a citizen?

For an E2 visa, do you need to apply where you are resident or where a citizen?

Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

marbella-james is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For an E2 visa, do you need to apply where you are resident or where a citizen?

Originally Posted by Bob
It's how Philips bring people into the US, or how they did. E2 based company brings in people from the base country.
This is exactly the plan although the principles will be pursuing a GC within 5 years.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: For an E2 visa, do you need to apply where you are resident or where a citizen?

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm suspect that the SPV setup by your company is legitimate since it is not used like many banks used them prior to the credit crisis to get around FCC regulations and taxes by setting up a post box address in the Cayman Islands and then selling the securities on wall street, London, and other financial centers around the world.

Also I suspect that the interviewing officer at the Embassy doesn't even know what a SPV is and since the money is coming from overseas and not US investors, that should be a major plus in acquiring an E2 visa.

However I have never heard of a visa being issued for a company and not an individual so that is where I have my greatest doubts
We have a 68 page PPM(Private Placement Memorandum) outline everything including the SPV and its function. This will submitted to the embassy. Its also available to any interested party.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marbella-james
This is exactly why our lawyers chose the E2 as it is simpler to transfer employees across than an L1 as the fund hasnt been operational for more than a year. We are having the company authorized 1st then the individual employees. This is due to the size of the company-Most E2 applicants are individuals and and trying to invest the bare minimum whereas we are investing in blocks of $10mn.
Sorry I misread your previous post where you stated "Its not directly managing property rather the investment" and assumed that you'd only be a passive investor in the firm and not an employee.

Since you'd be an employee managing the investment, I don't perceive any major problems with getting the visa.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me thinks not:

INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THIS SITE IS INTENDED FOR PROFESSIONAL INTERMEDIARIES AND EXPERIENCED INVESTORS ONLY

The products to which this site relates will be engaged in only with Experience Investors (as defined below) and professionally regulated intermediaries. If you are member of the public, and you do not have the relevant experience and do not satisfy the requirements below for Experienced Investors, you should not rely on this communication. None of the information on this site is intended to promote any specific product and should not be construed as legal, tax or financial advice. The information contained on this site does not constitute a general offer or invitation to the public to subscribe in any jurisdiction.

Experienced Investors. Experienced Investors are as defined in the Gibraltar Financial Services (Experienced Investor Funds) Regulations 2005. An Experienced Investor is a person or body who, at the time of the investment, falls into one of the following categories:

a person or partnership whose ordinary business or professional activity includes, or it is reasonable to expect that it includes, acquiring, underwriting, managing, holding or disposing of investments, whether as principal or agent, or the giving of advice concerning investments;
a body corporate which has net assets in excess of €1,000,000 or which is part of a group which has net assets in excess of €1,000,000;
an unincorporated association which has net assets in excess of €1,000,000;
the trustee of a trust where the aggregate value of the cash and investments which form part of the trust's assets in excess of €1,000,000;
an individual whose net worth, or joint net worth with that person's spouse, is greater than €1,000,000, excluding that person's principal place of residence; or
a participant who invests a minimum of €50,000 in the fund.
Further information in relation to the regulatory treatment of Experienced Investor Funds in Gibraltar may be obtained from the Gibraltar Financial Services Commissioner.

BY ACCESSING AND USING THIS WEBSITE, YOU ARE AGREEING THAT YOU SATISFY THE CONDITIONS FOR EXPERIENCED INVESTORS AS DEFINED ABOVE. I CONFIRM THAT I SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCED INVESTORS AS DEFINED ABOVE OR THAT I AM A PROFESSIONAL INTERMEDIARY.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Boiler;10615619]Me thinks not:

INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THIS SITE IS INTENDED FOR PROFESSIONAL INTERMEDIARIES AND EXPERIENCED INVESTORS ONLY

The products to which this site relates will be engaged in only with Experience Investors (as defined below) and professionally regulated intermediaries. If you are member of the public, and you do not have the relevant experience and do not satisfy the requirements below for Experienced Investors, you should not rely on this communication. None of the information on this site is intended to promote any specific product and should not be construed as legal, tax or financial advice. The information contained on this site does not constitute a general offer or invitation to the public to subscribe in any jurisdiction.

Experienced Investors. Experienced Investors are as defined in the Gibraltar Financial Services (Experienced Investor Funds) Regulations 2005. An Experienced Investor is a person or body who, at the time of the investment, falls into one of the following categories:

a person or partnership whose ordinary business or professional activity includes, or it is reasonable to expect that it includes, acquiring, underwriting, managing, holding or disposing of investments, whether as principal or agent, or the giving of advice concerning investments;
a body corporate which has net assets in excess of €1,000,000 or which is part of a group which has net assets in excess of €1,000,000;
an unincorporated association which has net assets in excess of €1,000,000;
the trustee of a trust where the aggregate value of the cash and investments which form part of the trust's assets in excess of €1,000,000;
an individual whose net worth, or joint net worth with that person's spouse, is greater than €1,000,000, excluding that person's principal place of residence; or
a participant who invests a minimum of €50,000 in the fund.
Further information in relation to the regulatory treatment of Experienced Investor Funds in Gibraltar may be obtained from the Gibraltar Financial Services Commissioner.

BY ACCESSING AND USING THIS WEBSITE, YOU ARE AGREEING THAT YOU SATISFY THE CONDITIONS FOR EXPERIENCED INVESTORS AS DEFINED ABOVE. I CONFIRM THAT I SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCED INVESTORS AS DEFINED ABOVE OR THAT I AM A PROFESSIONAL INTERMEDIARY.[/QUOTE

This is stated due to the type of fund it is-an EIF(Experienced Investor Fund) which requires an investment of 50k or above although there is another way to invest at a lower level through a nominee company in Jersey.

Up to 12% pa returns, average is 10.83% and a assured and underwritten minimum return of 6.48% from AON.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Exactly
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Up to 12% pa returns, average is 10.83% and a assured and underwritten minimum return of 6.48% from AON.
Call me skeptical but I don't see how a reinsurer can guarantee a 6.48% return in a 1% market. If that was the case, there wouldn't be such a thing as a European banking crisis.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

Aon is a broker.

There are precedents. I believe Cyprus offers similar returns.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Aon is a broker.

There are precedents. I believe Cyprus offers similar returns.
Correct, one of the largest insurance brokers in the world. As this is regulated product we cant lie about what we are offering-it is very much real. Pays bi-annually, March & September. Call us and we'll explain everything.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Is the capital as well as the return guaranteed?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Just trying to find where would be best to apply for a E2 investor visa either here in Madrid where i am a Spanish full time resident or London where I'm a UK National?
You apply where you are resident but they process it based on your citizenship. Assuming the treaty allows this to happen, British citizens in Canada for example are precluded from applying in Canada because of the Treaty of Ghent.

The reason citizenship is also important is because you can have employees that you sponsor in under E-2, but they must be citizens of the same country you are.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
You apply where you are resident but they process it based on your citizenship. Assuming the treaty allows this to happen, British citizens in Canada for example are precluded from applying in Canada because of the Treaty of Ghent.

The reason citizenship is also important is because you can have employees that you sponsor in under E-2, but they must be citizens of the same country you are.
I see your point-everyone applying/being transferred are British citizens.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Is the capital as well as the return guaranteed?
Depends on the level of investment, i would suggest you make an inquiry if interested