Wikiposts

E2 Visa Apply in UK or USA ???

Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa Apply in UK or USA ???

Originally Posted by bobby9205
We were thinking of leasing a gas station in florida, costing somewhere in the region of $150,000 for the lease, this would be employing a few Americans and would provide more than enough income so would not be a "marginal" investment.
Does anyone know if by leasing a business like this would enable us to get an E2 visa?
Read this link, esp starting at Post #5. Another UKC who was recently looking into opening a gas station in the USA.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453912

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone any knowledge of a website called
www.britishflorida.com they want $250 and for that they give you useful info and contacts and assist you in your visa application.
They suggest its better to use a immigration lawyer in Florida rather than one the uk?
hi, I don't know anything about those people but doesn't a website that's all shiny and colorful and playful looking set off any bells for you?
Be careful about who may legally 'assist you' in your visa application and what that entails. Tragic stories abound.
You will find that a US-based immigration lawyer with experience in the US Consulate in London will be far more affordable than a UK-based US immigration lawyer. I believe there is one who posts here and has been quite helpful.

Have you ever owned a business before? Slow and careful in the beginning stages is a very good idea, until you know what you are getting into.

Whoa, after reading more here http://www.britishflorida.com/index.php/ImmigrationGreenad-FABB$250.html, the $250 is for a *membership* .. I smell red flags.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ok .. I disagree with a few here... the Laywer in London I gave you and her predecessor have done more E-2 than anybody in Florida ..by far.. I agree they may be slightly more expensive as their prices are based in Pounds..but you get what you pay for..

They deal with the US consulate daily and know what they require
which is part of the battle..

The $250 club has no purpose other than to promte their own people
it seems..and to take a cut.. The same info can be got from Forums for free

Florida is currently in a recession and with gas at nearly $4 a gallon ..station
are closing down .... Not the ideal business to be looking at ...

http://www.enterprisebrokers.com/Sea...e_1809794.html

Check through business broker listings for the types of business that may appeal to you

Try to think of a business you know something about ..
and preferably something out of the box ...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I was told in one of the many books I have read on E2 visas, that going through the US embassy in London was quite quick (taking approx 6 months to process application) and the costs would be reduced as we would only have to travel within UK to be interviewed.
Got it now! Somebody's trying to sell you a dodgy scheme whereby you do things the wrong way round. They're doing this because they want their commission and fees now......and aren't really bothered whether it all ends in tears for you.

My advice:
* Do it the right way round or don't do it at all -- London can be quite spiteful.
* Investigate the cons of the E2 visa without your tinted specs on.
* Don't use one-stop shops. Your attorney, business broker, cpa etc should not know each other. Triple check anything your professional adviser tells you.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

bobby9205 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all your replys.

Yes the website does sound a bit dodgy - I was hoping some one on here had used them and was going to say there great!

I have previously been a manager of a Shell petrol station over here so running a gas station over there would be no problem for me. I do agree that the petrol prices are a worry but like over here people will always need to buy petrol and as anyone who knows about running a gas station will tell you - you make you money from the shop sales not the petrol - so anyone who discounts there petrol get the business in the shop.

Has anyone had any dealings with www.gasstationsinflorida.com

Cheers all.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

you make you money from the shop sales not the petrol - so anyone who discounts there petrol get the business in the shop.
hahaha, except for people like me who use the gas credit card right there at the pump, and never set foot inside the actual convenience mart or gas station.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
hahaha, except for people like me who use the gas credit card right there at the pump, and never set foot inside the actual convenience mart or gas station.

Rene
Tis a point Bobby may not have considered -- you can pay at the pump over here and many do!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

bobby9205 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Tis a point Bobby may not have considered -- you can pay at the pump over here and many do!
Point taken, yes I did know about paying at the pump, I have been to Florida more times than I care to mention, I have a place over there and many friends over there too, and from an "outsider" point of view Americans spend far more in the shop overall, than compared with us here in the Uk, this isnt an issue for me - just something I can deal with.