British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   E2 Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/e2-visa-927419/)

DaddyD Aug 23rd 2019 7:49 pm

E2 Visa

Hi everyone,

Our family are looking to go to USA in the next couple of years and have been looking into the E2 Visa. If everything works how we want it, our eldest son will be 20 when we move. We obviously want our son to stay with us but what are his options when he turns 21. Does he have to return to the uk when he turns 21? Or can he get work in the US? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

christmasoompa Aug 23rd 2019 8:50 pm

Re: E2 Visa

Hi, welcome to BE.

This is us one of the reasons that visa is known as ‘the visa from hell’ on the forum, frankly it’s a crap choice for anybody with kids.

Your son will either need to leave the US, or switch to another visa - a popular one for his age would be a student visa while he goes to uni, but again it’s only a temp visa.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 23rd 2019 9:27 pm

Basically he would be in the same position as if you did not have an E2, more realistically at the age of 20 he may well have his own ideas and plans that do not involve the US.

Nutmegger Aug 23rd 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12726684)
Hi, welcome to BE.

This is us one of the reasons that visa is known as ‘the visa from hell’ on the forum, frankly it’s a crap choice for anybody with kids.

Your son will either need to leave the US, or switch to another visa - a popular one for his age would be a student visa while he goes to uni, but again it’s only a temp visa.

And, of course, he would also be unable to work prior to turning 21.

wisygreen Aug 23rd 2019 9:49 pm

You could go into partnership with your son and do a joint E2 but he could only work in the company.

DaddyD Aug 24th 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by wisygreen (Post 12726716)
You could go into partnership with your son and do a joint E2 but he could only work in the company.

Hi, thank you for your reply. That is a really good idea, I think that will be the route we will take. Thanks again

Nutmegger Aug 24th 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by DaddyD (Post 12726930)

Hi, thank you for your reply. That is a really good idea, I think that will be the route we will take. Thanks again

Does he have the money to invest in the business? I could be wrong, but I recall that there has to be a paper trail for the money you put at risk to buy the business and that you just giving your young son the funds wouldn’t be acceptable.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 24th 2019 6:34 pm

Maybe an EB5 would be more suited.

DaddyD Aug 24th 2019 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12726946)

Does he have the money to invest in the business? I could be wrong, but I recall that there has to be a paper trail for the money you put at risk to buy the business and that you just giving your young son the funds wouldn’t be acceptable.

no he doesn’t have the funds, so that’s a good point. This is a 2 year plan so maybe could raise the funds by then. Thanks for your advice.

DaddyD Aug 24th 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12726948)
Maybe an EB5 would be more suited.

dont you have to invest 500,000 dollars with the EB5? Unfortunately I do not have that sort of cash. Thanks for advice though.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 25th 2019 1:44 am

Perhaps less risky for to have separate E2 businesses. EB5 is going up.