E2 Visa

Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:48 am
Just Joined

rdf2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Visa

Good Morning All,

Myself and my soon to be wife are in the process of starting to apply for an E-2 visa to the south west coast of Florida.

I was wondering if those who have done this or are in the process of doing this have any relevant experiences or stories for the E 2 process and how it was once you got your E2 and would like to share this?

We are also looking to file, once we are there most probably an F3 category visa, does any have experience of this. Im aware you can run this alongside the E2 visa however has anyone come across any bumps in the road in regards to this?

Thanks for your Time!
Old Apr 21st 2019, 7:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa

Hi and welcome to BE.

By F3 do you mean the immigrant visa "married son/daughter of USC"? If so, you know the USC parent files an I-130 to start that process, and that USCIS is currently working on I-130s from Sept 2006? I don't think your E-2 will last you that long in the USA....but yes, you are allowed to have the I-130 petition processing at the same time.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2019, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

F3 is a long road and we see very few on BE. E2 covers a very wide range of options, some are basically shoe in's, some are very marginal.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 4:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdf2016
Good Morning All,

Myself and my soon to be wife are in the process of starting to apply for an E-2 visa to the south west coast of Florida.
Are you purchasing a business or being hired in the managerial category by a UK company?
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for your replies,

Yes married son or daughter, I'm aware the waiting time is around 12 years for the F3 however we are looking to get over sooner so are looking to go over an an E2 - which will be buying into a turnkey business.

Why do you think the E2 will not last that long? Does that not depend on the length of visa you are given and a successful renewal?

Thanks

Ryan
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it depends on successful renewals and growth of the business. 12 to 15 years is a long time to keep the business successfully running, I would imagine.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2019, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It's an existing business?
How long has it been successfully operating?
Old Apr 21st 2019, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies,

Yes married son or daughter, I'm aware the waiting time is around 12 years for the F3 however
Correction: the waiting time is around 12 years now but is only getting longer. In April 2016, the date for F3 was 22nd November 2004, now in April 2019 the date has only moved to 22nd September 2006, so in 3 years the date has only moved forward 1 year, 10 months. So based on current rates the 12 year wait could turn into 20+ years by the time the date becomes current.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Sorry Noorah, Why is that a long time to keep a business operating successfully? It has been running for 6 years and is existing.

Bc2015, thanks for the information on the F3 visa. It could be 20 plus but it could not, who knows!

If any one has any positive/relevant experience or stories on E2 visas, as what this thread was intended for it would be appreciated...

Thank you
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 10:36 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't even filed the F3 yet?

Personally I think your plan is a bad idea, the E2 renewal is pretty much subject to the whims of the officer adjudicating it, and if you get a bad one on a bad day you have to pack up and leave the US ASAP - leaving behind the business you have built in the hands of (hopefully) an employee to run it.

As for the F3, who knows if it will even exist in 20 years? Family reunification visas seem a prime target to be cut if immigration reform comes back on the table after the 2020 elections.

If any one has any positive/relevant experience or stories on E2 visas, as what this thread was intended for
You don't get to determine how people respond to your thread, or what they think is important advice to give you in this situation. Sorry.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If any one has any positive/relevant experience or stories on E2 visas, as what this thread was intended for it would be appreciated...
You can do a forum search to find other E2 related threads. Unfortunately you won't find that many positive threads about it, it's considered the 'visa from hell' by many on here, so it's not a route often recommended I'm afraid. But a forum search will bring up lots of info, including from those already in the US on E2's.

Good luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

I was on E2 visa for 15 years. It is a hard visa to be on, specifically if you have children as they are not entitled to SSN's and they age out at 21. The new tax laws state you cannot claim for children unless they have SSN's so that perk has been taken away. It is hard for teenagers not to be able to earn money like their friends and there is always the specter of what will happen when they reach 21. Changing to F1 student is an option but then some states class you as an international student and charge accordingly. Running a business to suit the E2 criteria is not always the most profitable or prudent ways and there is always the fear that your application for renewal will be refused. To be honest, I have not heard of a healthy business being denied and most stories of refusal have dubious aspects to them. I have heard that USCIS officials have started visiting companies that have just renewed their status without leaving the country. They have turned up without warning - another thing to worry about. On the positive side of things there is a fairly vocal reform group working to change some of the conditions of the E2. One is to include E2 kids in the DACA proposal (but that would not help kids not here yet) and the other is to provide a path to a green card. However neither of these are guaranteed at all.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Noorah, Why is that a long time to keep a business operating successfully? It has been running for 6 years and is existing. ….
Depending on the business (industry sector) and the customer base, sometimes the customer base don't like the new owners and leave. Worse, sometimes the business owners sell "the business" but either set up a new competing business and then solicit their old customers, or they sell the customer list to their buddy, who then targets your customers, perhaps even lying about you and your reputation. Much of that is illegal but it does happen.

Too Noorah's point, the business doesn't just need to "exist", it needs to thrive, because if it isn't "contributing to the economy", meaning employing people and/or growing, then your E-2 is going to be under threat.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies all. I’ll keep it all in mind.