Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 v H1b - and is a switch even necessary??!

E2 v H1b - and is a switch even necessary??!

Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Nicky2303 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 v H1b - and is a switch even necessary??!

Yeah, it would be an L1-A so that would be fine. But if we did get sent over there, it would be likely to be for at least a year, possibly more. It's a tough one. I think when our oldest turns 15 or so the music is going to have to stop and we will have to then stay put wherever we are until the kids finish school.

Hope to God it's not France !
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

God is not French!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:33 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

There are several excellent immigration attorneys in Irvine and nearby areas. However, one is almost completely retired. John Alcorn is someone I respect. John Nelson in Newport Beach is also someone I respect. Luis Piscopo;

Consultation need not be limited to OC -- forum member J Craig Fong is excellent.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Consultation need not be limited to OC -- forum member J Craig Fong is excellent.
And not French, I was wondering when he would be mentioned.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:35 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

We're here on E2 and unsure about what we want to do. Hubby's firm's lawyer seem to think we could go straight down the green card route but with the complicated stuff about having to advertise the job for x weeks and we could only then apply for green card if they can't find anyone else for the job.

We've not looked into it any further as we aren't sure what to do (it would be a slam dunk if family could come but....)

Please do report back as I'd be v interested to know
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Hubby's firm's lawyer seem to think we could go straight down the green card route but with the complicated stuff about having to advertise the job for x weeks and we could only then apply for green card if they can't find anyone else for the job.
I suggest you consult your own lawyer... someone who represents your interests, not the company's interests.

Ian
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
We're here on E2 and unsure about what we want to do. Hubby's firm's lawyer seem to think we could go straight down the green card route but with the complicated stuff about having to advertise the job for x weeks and we could only then apply for green card if they can't find anyone else for the job.

We've not looked into it any further as we aren't sure what to do (it would be a slam dunk if family could come but....)

Please do report back as I'd be v interested to know
Without knowing the particular facts of the case here, it may be quite likely that the suggested path is the way to go. When I was in practice, more than once I would be consulted and/or retained for "janitorial work" which was a result of the goal of avoiding the labor certificate procedure.

The LC route is weird but often works.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:26 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Oh, if we decided we wanted to stay we'd find a lawyer to help us, but we didn't know it was even possible and company suggested we ask their lawyer to find out....
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

uktonyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We are also here on an E2 visa and wanted to apply for a greencard for much the same reasons - stability for our kids as they get older, as well as flexibility with employment.
My husband's employer started the ball rolling early last year and it has taken the immigration attorneys about a year to decide the best approach and to get the PERM application in, we are just waiting now. Unfortunately we will come under the EB3 category as my husband only has an HND. He has twenty-something years of experience in his field, but that doesn't count for anything! So how long we will actually be waiting is not certain.
Good luck with finding more from a 4th attorney!