Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 third renewal and ties to the UK

E2 third renewal and ties to the UK

Old Mar 21st 2019, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Morag McDoogal will become famous soon enoughMorag McDoogal will become famous soon enough
Default E2 third renewal and ties to the UK

Hello everyone. I hoping someone can save my sanity or at least what's left of it. I'm applying for my third term of E2 investor renewal (principal applicant) and have gathered all my evidence etc. I submitted the documents etc but have just had a reply that the format was not correct. No a big deal to correct and save everything as a pdf. However, I am anxious that in the reply email, they lay a heavy emphasis on existing ties to the UK such as mortgage and utility bills etc. Since I have been here since 2009, I can't provide this exact information as I didn't maintain a residence. Last renewal I simply submitted a signed statement of intent to depart. I'm certain that I have read somewhere on the official website that they had relaxed the ties requirement as long as the intent to depart was clear. For the life of me, I can't find that page again. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Failing that, any advice would be appreciated. Just as an FYI, I actually do intend to depart probably with the next couple of years because as much as I love it here, I also love home too. Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 third renewal and ties to the UK

Might be worth bringing up with your Lawyer but I have not come across this before, yes it is non immigrant bit that bit is normally fudged.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Morag McDoogal will become famous soon enoughMorag McDoogal will become famous soon enough

Thanks Boiler. I'm not actually using an attorney.....I did with my initial E2 application but when we went for the interview I was told, and I quote "based on your application, an E2 would've been refused, based on the interview you're getting 3 years". However, he also said that a future renewal was unlikely as the business was verging on marginal. I done my renewal in 2013 myself because nobody knows my business as well as I do and the interview was relatively painless and I saved $$$$. I am not having fun with this renewal � ����.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my understanding of the many people I have seen with an E2 is hardly any could meet that test, so if it is a serious requirement there will be a LOT of refusals.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I think Boiler makes a reasonable observation in that it's extraordinarily hard to prove this on an E-2.

I think I have seen an uptick on refusals for lack of ties on the forum in the last year - whether that'll extend to E-2, it's impossible to say.

You pretty much have no choice but to show everything you possibly can - family, how frequently you visit home, an active bank account if possible, any contractual obligations you have in the UK, and of course include the signed statement too. Maybe even get that statement notarised or something to emphasise that it's a serious claim.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

It is 4 years since our last renewal and things have changed a lot I know. We stated our plans to spend our retirement in Europe (these plans now under review due to Brexit!), our UK pension and our family living in UK and Spain in our cover letter. I think the cover letter and business plan are very important as it gives a sense of the applicant, the documents just support them. We kept them brief (we renewed in Madrid and had to keep everything to under 50 pages) but hit all the points listed on their website.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like you received a boiler plate response that is more relevant to initial applicants?
Old Apr 1st 2019, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morag McDoogal
Thanks Boiler. I'm not actually using an attorney.....I did with my initial E2 application but when we went for the interview I was told, and I quote "based on your application, an E2 would've been refused, based on the interview you're getting 3 years". However, he also said that a future renewal was unlikely as the business was verging on marginal. I done my renewal in 2013 myself because nobody knows my business as well as I do and the interview was relatively painless and I saved $$$$. I am not having fun with this renewal …..
So you were warned long ago of the challenge you now face - has the business actually been marginal, or have you exceeded expectations, hiring American employees and "stimulating the economy"? If not I believe that retaining a lawyer might be prudent, and/or might help prepare you for a shock.

There was a case several years ago on BE of a couple who bought and ran a guest house using an E-2 visa. They had quite modest goals, and IMO were lucky to get the visa in the first place, but in the end business didn't even do as well as predicted and was really only a subsistence business, and their E-2 renewal was denied and they had to leave, I think within only a 2-4 weeks.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies for the late update. We attended our E2 renewal interview the last week of May. Fortunately, our E2 was granted for a further 5 years. The new Embassy procedures meant that we were done and dusted within 2 hours. The interview itself lasted approximately 10 minutes, including the time taken to pay the reciprocity fee and get the receipt. I'm glad I assembled the application myself and although I was nervous, I was confident the I would have answers and evidence for any questions asked. As it turned out, I didn't need anything further. We saw 2 other renewals ahead of us get denied but couldn't speculate why. The ongoing ties to the UK wasn't an issue. Thank you for your input and help.