E2 Help

Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

davidmoriaty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Help

I'm looking at the E2 with my brother. We want to go into a retail outlet 50/50 as we both have experience in the field. Will the application need to show that we are both putting in the same investment? The reason for this is we are looking to sell my house to fund the purchase of the business and hold his as our joint UK address for when we come back. That way we can rent it out and earn a bit more money.

Also does anyone know if Meg Olsen has gone, and if so who the new adjudicating officer is
David M
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:37 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Help

With 2 families in the business, the owner benefit has to be doubled to get through the embassy too. Meg has been long gone.

The whole sell my house and keep mine issue sounds a bit worrying, unless he's going to put you on the deeds as an equal owner of his house too.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that.
I have now sold my house.
My brother is now going to put his house on the market.But in todays climate it might take some time.
We have found a business and can afford it with the sale of my house.The business can support both families. What happens if his house has not sold before the application is ready.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:50 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidmoriaty
Thank you for that.
My brother is now going to put his house on the market.But in todays climate it might take some time.
We have found a business and can afford it with the sale of my house.The business can support both families. What happens if his house has not sold before the application is ready.

Thought you said you were keeping his house for an address to come back to and to rent?
If things stay as they are now when the application goes in, then you will have given him half the value of your house, and he will have put nothing in himself, plus still have his own house. Family or not, it's not something I'd venture into.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of retail business, that can support two families' start-up abroad and be purchased out of one home sale? And in which market in the US?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that.
Hi:

I would recommend using a lawyer experienced in E visas to help you, if you have not done so already. What makes me sit up is the phrase "can support both families." The "marginality" requirement is not the same as the "substantiality" requirement.

I don't do these anymore, but I still retain a lot of knowledge on this.

I do recommend J Craig Fong of Fong & Chun. [Disclaimer -- I am in the same office suite. But their practice is fully independent of mine.]
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
What makes me sit up is the phrase "can support both families." The "marginality" requirement is not the same as the "substantiality" requirement.
I don't know Thing One about marginality and substantiality in this context, but I do know a thing or two about retail, and that phrase *should* make someone sit up.

As my mother told me, 6 months into my first grocery store: "Remember, you didn't buy a "business", you bought a "job"."
On the plus side, we never starved! (and we got a liquor license so we could buy our beer wholesale.. kids, eh? )
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

We are totally aware of what we need to earn, and the business provides it.
What we are not sure about is the funding question.
Does it need to be 50/50, or can my brother owe me till he sells his home.
ladyofthelake.Yes I did say we were going to keep his house, but we have been told we need to prove a money trail.
Can I lend my brother the money if he cant sell ?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

We are totally aware of what we need to earn, and the business provides it.
What we are not sure about is the funding question.
Does it need to be 50/50, or can my brother owe me till he sells his home.
ladyofthelake.Yes I did say we were going to keep his house, but we have been told we need to prove a money trail.
Can I lend my brother the money if he cant sell ?
Hi:

You missed my point completely. The "marginality" requirement is NOT determined by just the amount invested. In fact, you can have a very minimal investment and it can still be considered both "substantial" and more than "marginal."

Your questions are very sophisticated in nature -- you are talking about a largish sum of money it seems -- spend some of it on a legal consultation.

From what little you post I see both possibilities and problems. Contact a lawyer experienced in E-2 visas.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

newby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I received the E2 visa, maybe I can help. You will need to locate the business and then prepare business plans etc. You really should speak with a lawyer about the process for families. I may be able to help locate qualifying businesses.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newby
Hi,

I received the E2 visa, maybe I can help. You will need to locate the business and then prepare business plans etc. You really should speak with a lawyer about the process for families. I may be able to help locate qualifying businesses.
Ohhh dear....
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I may be able to help locate qualifying businesses.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I may be able to help locate qualifying businesses.
Are you a business broker then ...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice so far.
I am putting together the application and can find no reference to binder size for the E2. On the embassy web site it says a hard back binder .
Does anyone know if it can be ring binder,clips, thick, thin ?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if it can be ring binder,clips, thick, thin ?
If you have an otherwise approvable visa application, do you really think it'll suddenly be denied because you didn't use the right type of binder or clip?

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.