Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 and Franchises (Royal Maid Service)

E2 and Franchises (Royal Maid Service)

Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:32 am
Just Joined

millybum is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking E2 and Franchises (Royal Maid Service)

Hi all,

Totally new to this forum, so be kind

Myself and my partner are keen to move to Florida.
We're in rented accommodation after spending a couple of years selling property (wonderful UK market!!).

E2 is the only route for us. We've checked.
We know the downside to this type of visa, kids age out, etc.
Being a young family (30's) with young children (toddlers), it wouldn't be an issue for us for some time.

There are a few franchises we've checked out. But the Royal Maid franchise is one we are keen to learn more about. Anyone have personal experience with this franchise? Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 and Franchises (Royal Maid Service)

some here with that ..

http://www.the-usa-forum.com/forum/index.php
Old May 7th 2014, 12:03 am
Yorkshire man in Florida

barnsleylad is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a franchise 2 years ago, but property management, it got me a e2 visa
Old May 7th 2014, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millybum
E2 is the only route for us. We've checked.
We know the downside to this type of visa, kids age out, etc.
Being a young family (30's) with young children (toddlers), it wouldn't be an issue for us for some time.
It would if a) the business goes under and/or b) your visa doesn't get renewed. You could find yourself back in the UK in a year or two with no money and no assets. Worst case yes, but it's still a possibility. I don't think I would want to risk my kids stability for anything less than a long term, rock solid opportunity. Especially considering the Florida education system is not really ranked very high. Plus "partner" could mean that you need two visa opportunities, not one.
Old May 7th 2014, 9:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It would if a) the business goes under and/or b) your visa doesn't get renewed. You could find yourself back in the UK in a year or two with no money and no assets. Worst case yes, but it's still a possibility. I don't think I would want to risk my kids stability for anything less than a long term, rock solid opportunity. Especially considering the Florida education system is not really ranked very high. Plus "partner" could mean that you need two visa opportunities, not one.
+1. And the aging out 'not being an issue for sometime' actually makes it worse imo - if the business is a success and the OP can stay indefinitely, then the kids won't know anything other than life in the US and all their friends will be there. So for them to potentially have to leave all that behind and return to the UK (which would essentially be a foreign country to them where nothing is familiar), would be awful for them.

Maybe it's just me, but as a mother there's no way I'd risk putting them through that.