E2 and dependant visa

Old Jun 29th 2019, 7:54 am
Just Joined

OakC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 and dependant visa

Hello, my first post so please be gentle.

My husband is currently going through the process for an E2 visa transferring from his UK company to the US branch. They are completing all the paperwork and booking the appointment but I have a few questions please.

1. Do myself and children need to apply for separate visas? Or do we automatically get one being dependants?

2. Iv read a lot about E3, doesn’t sound great but it’s the only option at the moment. I have had to give up nurse training here. Is there a possibility in the future I could get a student visa and train over there and then get my own visa to work out there so we could maybe have the option of a GC if we wanted to stay out there.

3. We have a loan to pay in the UK, is that likely to affect his visa?

Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 8:52 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 and dependant visa

1. Dependent visas are issued as a result of the primary petition. I believe that as long as you establish the relationship beforehand or at interview, your passport can be submitted for visa attaching when his is. Someone else will confirm or refute though.

2. E2 derivative spouses (but not children) can work when they have an EAD. You should apply for the EAD as soon as you arrive in the US as it is taking 6 months for them to be issued at the moment. If you wish to stay in the US long term, your husband really should broach that subject with his employer right now and see if they will be prepared to petition him for one of the EB1/2/3 categories if he qualifies. If they aren't, the E2 does not directly lead to a green card. It is often called 'the visa from hell' on these boards.

3. Debt has no bearing on a visa application.

Is there anything else I should consider?
Where in the US would he be based? Have you been there to scout the area? Do you have children? Has he negotiated a salary increase, repatriation expenses and retention of his current annual leave allowance?

Moving to the US is a huge deal, and there are many areas that you are likely to be pretty unprepared for during/after the move. The biggest one is probably healthcare. As I am sure you are aware, the US has no version of the NHS. Healthcare is both more expensive and more complicated then it is in the UK.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 29th 2019 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:01 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE][QUOTE=civilservant;12704369]1. Dependent visas are issued as a result of the primary petition. I believe that as long as you establish the relationship beforehand or at interview, your passport can be submitted for visa attaching when his is. Someone else will confirm or refute though.[/QUOTE ]

Thanks

2. E2 derivative holders can work when they have an EAD. You should apply for the EAD as soon as you arrive in the US as it is taking 6 months for them to be issued at the moment. If you wish to stay in the US long term, your husband really should broach that subject with his employer right now and see if they will be prepared to petition him for one of the EB1/2/3 categories if he qualifies. If they aren't, the E2 does not directly lead to a green card. It is often called 'the visa from hell' on these board.
Thanks, I mean I’m not sure we will be it would be nice to have the option, will ask him to have a conversation with his employer. Do you know if I will be able to study over there or do anything in relation to nursing such as a healthcare support worker, basically what I have been doing over here.

3. Debt has no bearing on a visa application.
Thats good to know thanks

Where in the US would he be based? Have you been there to scout the area? Do you have children?
Houston, and yes 4... I understand they would have to leave at 21 on this visa and can’t work at 16 if our visa is renewed for that long but they are still young 2,5,6,8

Moving to the US is a huge deal, and there are many areas that you are likely to be pretty unprepared for during/after the move. The biggest one is probably healthcare. As I am sure you are aware, the US has no version of the NHS. Healthcare is both more expensive and more complicated then it is in the UK.
Yes we are aware, it’s worrying but the company provide a healthcare plan. He has been over there for the past few weeks looking around and having appointments ect but me and the kids will be trusting him and going in blind. athanks for your prompt reply.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if I will be able to study over there or do anything in relation to nursing such as a healthcare support worker, basically what I have been doing over here.
There are no restrictions on you as you will have an EAD, you can study if you wish, work if you wish. Obviously you will not be eligible federal student loans though as an non-PR alien. Something like a healthcare support worker (which sounds like a Certified Nursing Assistant here) is an easy route to take, perhaps a few weeks of classes and then you take the exam. Pay is pretty low though.

Houston, and yes 4... I understand they would have to leave at 21 on this visa and can’t work at 16 if our visa is renewed for that long but they are still young 2,5,6,8
The cost of childcare if you chose to work is likely to be high, just FYI. You also might want to consider schools that follow the IB standard, not sure if there are any in Huston but there probably are. This will help if you do return to the UK for them to integrate into the UK school system.

Yes we are aware, it’s worrying but the company provide a healthcare plan.
I would be investigating exactly what this covers before accepting the transfer, and at what cost to him each paycheck. Bare in mind that on top of the plan cost, you will also have copays and deductibles to meet each time you use the service.

I also previously mentioned the benefits his job provide and you didn't directly address it. If the company is asking him to move, he is in a strong position to negotiate salary demands, leave allowances (which are lower in the US than the UK, a lot) and things like a paid flight back to the UK once a year for a family visit or the costs of repatriation if your family hates it in the US. He should ask for relocation expenses and for those expenses to be 'grossed up' so that he doesn't lose most of it through taxes at year end.

Oh and one other thing. If you don't have an American Express, get one now. They can use that account (if it's in good standing) to approve you for a US based unsecured Amex that will give you a leg up on starting from scratch with credit.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 29th 2019 at 9:12 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 29th 2019, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult to see the economics of working with 4 children at a job that will not be much over minimum wage.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Difficult to see the economics of working with 4 children at a job that will not be much over minimum wage.
I am not talking near future, I am talking in a few years when they are all at school... I don’t anticipate being a stay at home mum for the rest of my life and was working toward that here. I don’t need to work fortunately but want to as I love nursing, and you don’t get into that for the money here either.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
There are no restrictions on you as you will have an EAD, you can study if you wish, work if you wish. Obviously you will not be eligible federal student loans though as an non-PR alien. Something like a healthcare support worker (which sounds like a Certified Nursing Assistant here) is an easy route to take, perhaps a few weeks of classes and then you take the exam. Pay is pretty low though.

The cost of childcare if you chose to work is likely to be high, just FYI. You also might want to consider schools that follow the IB standard, not sure if there are any in Huston but there probably are. This will help if you do return to the UK for them to integrate into the UK school system.

I would be investigating exactly what this covers before accepting the transfer, and at what cost to him each paycheck. Bare in mind that on top of the plan cost, you will also have copays and deductibles to meet each time you use the service.

I also previously mentioned the benefits his job provide and you didn't directly address it. If the company is asking him to move, he is in a strong position to negotiate salary demands, leave allowances (which are lower in the US than the UK, a lot) and things like a paid flight back to the UK once a year for a family visit or the costs of repatriation if your family hates it in the US. He should ask for relocation expenses and for those expenses to be 'grossed up' so that he doesn't lose most of it through taxes at year end.

Oh and one other thing. If you don't have an American Express, get one now. They can use that account (if it's in good standing) to approve you for a US based unsecured Amex that will give you a leg up on starting from scratch with credit.

Thanks for your advice, he over there in negotiations now and we are getting a relocation package which we will make sure is suitable for us. I have opened an american express credit card this last week as read that already somewhere else.

I think the school in houston, from what I have read, is the other side of houston to where we are going to be so I don’t think it’s possible.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is always possible, you have the disadvantage of no support system, I can think of a number pf practical issues. If you are looking to be a Nurse then there is a education system to go through, accreditation so this in any event will be sometime away and then that starts interrelating into how long you expect to be here E2 suggests this is temporary.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Yes that’s true... oh well 🤷‍♀️
Old Jun 30th 2019, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OakC
I love nursing, and you don’t get into that for the money here either.
Whereas in the US, nurses make pretty damn good money and it's a well respected profession.