E2 Business visa

Old Dec 17th 2013, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

bazo101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Business visa

hi there i am new to this site and have been understanding visa to live in America. The best route i can understand is the E2 Business Visa. i have around £110k ($175k) and i run several small business in the UK. i Would like to know from any one with experience of this type of visa is $175k enough to get the e2 visa through? i understand that it would be a tough few years with this amount of money but any advice is appreciated.

Iain
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Business visa

No, sorry. In my opinion it's not enough to establish a substantial business.
You'd burn through that in such a short term.
In addition the economic situation is not conducive to starting a business.

However admittedly that is very general...if you have a specific idea let us know and we'll provide specific opinions.

You can also discuss why you want to live in America and where.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 9:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Also why you want to risk your capital on a venture that requires a visa that has no route to a Green Card, is notoriously difficult to renew, and will most likely result in you being forced to return to the UK (without having time to hire a manager to run your US business) in a couple of years.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazo101
i have around £110k ($175k) and i run several small business in the UK.
Can you afford to lose the entire £110k and get nothing in return? If so, the E-2 visa will probably work for you. If you can't afford the risk, don't do it... because you'll get nothing out of it except the experience of living in the US for 2 years while you watch your savings dwindle to nothing before your eyes.

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough information.

Mr Folinsky frequently points out that there is no minimum investment amount (something about someone once doing it with 15k) and that is the wrong thing to latch onto. The business plan is much more important.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you'll have all the other personal start up costs on top, house, car, insurance, utilities etc, which is a big wedge of cash.

You don't say what your other businesses are, but if they're not one man bands and can stay operational, there might be potential for a L1 starting up a US subsidy. But that's not an easy or cheap option either, but it would give more options than a E1.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 7:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The regs say a "significant" investment which is at risk, there is no dollar amount, it depends on the investment really.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The $15,000 case is a published case from the 80's entitled Walsh & Pollard

I remember Ron Klasko talking about $15,000, an office, a desk, a telephone and one potted plant -- to service a $300 million contract to provide design services.

These cases can be pretty fact specific. Legal consultation is a good idea. OP may want to consult with our good friend J Craig Fong
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Just a personal observation: Legitimacy seems to count for a lot. When we started our company, we felt it essential to get a functioning website, corporate identity, receptionist and bricks and mortar office. I remember USCIS requesting photos of our marketing materials - brochures, business cards, advertising materials etc.. Though this was for an H1b approval not E2. We had a comprehensive business plan, letters of commitment from potential clients and 60K of funding.