E2 - Business Bank Account

Old Oct 14th 2014, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Markstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond repute
Default E2 - Business Bank Account

Hi, apologies if this needs to be moved to the general USA page, but can anyone share their experiences of setting up a business bank account for an E2 venture?

Specifically:

1. Who did they go with?
2. Why? What was wrong with the others?
3. How long did it take to setup?
4. What documents did they need to do so? (cert. of incorporation is one i guess)
5. What credit limit, if any, they were given?
6. Did they do it in person, or remotely? (from the UK, pre-visa award)
7. Any pitfalls etc to watch out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we are getting to that point of no return...

Many thanks, Mark
Old Oct 14th 2014, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 - Business Bank Account

Unlike the UK many banks are local. A credit line would be tricky
Old Oct 14th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Without an established business, it will be very difficult to get a line of credit or any credit for the business. Generally most that startup a business will have to personally sign for almost everything.

When my son started his business, the only thing that he didn't have to personally sign for was the office lease (was a run down area with plenty of vacancies) and his internet connection.

And like most startup businesses, the business became insolvent but he was personally loaded with debt except for the contract on the office space and the internet connection.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 14th 2014 at 6:18 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Markstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Just a bit of info, the business i'm buying is 7 years old, with full books and records. So, hopefully this will make a difference.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 6:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markstone492
Hi, apologies if this needs to be moved to the general USA page, but can anyone share their experiences of setting up a business bank account for an E2 venture?

Specifically:

5. What credit limit, if any, they were given?

Many thanks, Mark
What exactly do you mean by credit limit -- overdraft protection? If you want to have money to draw against, you will need to take out a line of credit, it won't come as a bundle with your bank account. As others have said, obtaining one will initially be extremely difficult.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies for not specifying Nutmegger....i was more referring to a Business Credit Card.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 6:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markstone492
Apologies for not specifying Nutmegger....i was more referring to a Business Credit Card.
That sounds a lot more doable! But I don't think we can speculate what kind of limit they will offer you for the card. Perhaps if you continue a relationship with the bank the business has been with previously, so that they are aware of it as a successful going concern, you might get the best response?
Old Oct 14th 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Great minds Nutmegger...

I've already been in contact with the current owner, who's used Centrestate for 13 years personally and 7 years for the business. So that's my first port of call.

I don't need / want anything huge, just $1500 maybe? As the business already has a line of credit with the key supplier and they have said they will continue this for me.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will not the Business accounts continue?