Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 Application With American Business Partner

E2 Application With American Business Partner

Old May 3rd 2017, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

aldawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Application With American Business Partner

Hello everyone!

New to this forum but hopefully I can share my experience in the E2 visa process as I go to the embassy this month.

I am starting a catering and food truck business in the USA with an American citizen, with the intention to open a small shopfront within two years . I have majority share. I am putting in $46kUSD and my partner is putting in 70kUSD. The reason I am 51% majority share holder is I've been running a proof of concept small business back home (in Australia) for the last year. Using this, I am able to make assumptions in my business plan (how much food I can push out every hour, expected Cost of Goods, expected overheads etc). With this in mind I'm starting a new business from scratch in the USA.

The startup costs (costs of the truck, initial outlay of inventory, commercial kitchen leases, packaging, food etc is) is around $58kUSD.

Given the required investment is $58k and my foreign investment is $46k, can you see this causing any issues in the application process? I have read elsewhere that they could treat the whole situation independent of whether I have a business partner with funding.

I kindly look forward to any responses!

Al

Last edited by aldawg; May 3rd 2017 at 2:09 pm.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Application With American Business Partner

What is your ultimate goal with respect to the US? Staying permanently? Getting the business up and running and returning to your home country?
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Hey civilservant, thanks for responding

My goal is to get the business up and running for at least 8- 10 years with the intention of opening further food trucks/stores. Depending on how well it goes I may apply for an eb5, or sell it and return to Australia. From what I see this means I would renew the visa once as an Australian
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems very low, how many Employees will you have?
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for responding Boiler!

From day 1 it will have 3 part-time employees (I'll always have employees as there are multiple roles to have a good flow of food service, and will hire more employees at large festival and events, and as I grow catering contracts).

I know the investment seems low, but there's a solid business plan with assumptions that are based off prior year financials.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Hey guys. Just thought I'd add that the visa was approved with the details I mentioned above! A solid and well researched business plan, compelling cover letter, some business experience (even if it's minimal!), and an honest conversation at the visa interview can go along way. Also done with a lawyer reviewing the documents on an hourly basis (to save $$). Thank you for all the help on this forum.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aldawg
Hey guys. Just thought I'd add that the visa was approved with the details I mentioned above! A solid and well researched business plan, compelling cover letter, some business experience (even if it's minimal!), and an honest conversation at the visa interview can go along way. Also done with a lawyer reviewing the documents on an hourly basis (to save $$). Thank you for all the help on this forum.
Congrats! Good luck with the move and business!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulation. Thanks for taking the trouble to come back and update us.

Good luck.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

IrishBrazilian is an unknown quantity at this point

@aldawg - I'm very happy for you. That is some great news!
Could you PM me the contact for the lawyer that you used?

Thanks, Marc.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:37 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.usvisalawgroup.com/
Old Jul 29th 2017, 8:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Kehrela is a good person.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

I didn't use a lawyer in this process besides a 3-hour review/consultation. His name is David Immigration Law, he is a great contact for Australians. If you're interested in finding a good lawyer check out avvo.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

chitam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi aldawg,
Congratulations for your E2! I am going to renew my E2 visa in October. I haven't done any cover letter either for my first application or for my first renewal in the past. So I really need some tips for the compelling cover letter you mentioned.
1. How many pages shoud it have? I've wrote only one for mine.
2. Any sample to follow? I know that the different business require different writing

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 21st 2017, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chitam
Hi aldawg,
Congratulations for your E2! I am going to renew my E2 visa in October. I haven't done any cover letter either for my first application or for my first renewal in the past. So I really need some tips for the compelling cover letter you mentioned.
1. How many pages shoud it have? I've wrote only one for mine.
2. Any sample to follow? I know that the different business require different writing

Thanks in advance
I suggest you open a new thread and post your questions there...as your post is likely to be overlooked in this thread. Thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Hey Chitam, I have absolutely no idea about E2 renewals as I just had my initial application approved! But good luck with it