E Visa questions and advice

Old Jun 14th 2018, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

churchill26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E Visa questions and advice

Hi everybody

ive been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and i now have got my interview at the US embassy for an e-2 visa,
and for the people still waiting, i received confirmation to book an appointment around the 42/43 day mark , so hang in there !

so my question is , providing my interview goes well and i get an e-2 employee visa , is it possible to move jobs on the same visa ? perhaps to another company that is registered as an e-2 treaty trader ? or will i have to go through the whole application again to apply for a new job within the time frame of the e-2 visa

also more of a general couple of questions

is it possible to get a part time job ? without an extra type of visa?

and to drive in NYC do you need a state licence on top of a full UK licence ?

any help would be much appreciated guys ! thank you !
Old Jun 14th 2018, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E Visa questions and advice

Originally Posted by churchill26
so my question is , providing my interview goes well and i get an e-2 employee visa , is it possible to move jobs on the same visa ? perhaps to another company that is registered as an e-2 treaty trader ? or will i have to go through the whole application again to apply for a new job within the time frame of the e-2 visa
You'll have to go through the process again if you get a different job.

is it possible to get a part time job ? without an extra type of visa?
Not on an E-2, no. If you're the primary applicant you are only authorized to work for the sponsoring employer.

and to drive in NYC do you need a state licence on top of a full UK licence ?
If you're considered a resident you'll need to get a NYS license to drive, your UK one won't be valid.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

thanks olly for the swift replies !

so having the e-2 will have no advantage or bearing on another visa application with another company ?

and ok sorry for sounding stupid, but how are you considered a resident ? like i can hire a car on a full UK still cant i, like if i was a visitor / tourist ?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by churchill26
so having the e-2 will have no advantage or bearing on another visa application with another company ?
No advantage I'm afraid.

and ok sorry for sounding stupid, but how are you considered a resident ? like i can hire a car on a full UK still cant i, like if i was a visitor / tourist ?
Different states have different requirements but the NYS DMV info is here - https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/moving-new-york

Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law: "As used in this section, the term 'resident' shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state." To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NY State for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of New York State. A police officer can use this as evidence to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in New York State without a NY State driver license or vehicle registration. A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of New York State. If you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NY State a "fixed and permanent" residence. According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in New York State are usually not considered residents of NY State. DMV does not decide if you are a resident of New York State, if you must get a NY State driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in New York State.
Basically you're presumed to be a NYS resident after living there for 90 days and you'll need to get a NYS license. Your UK one won't be valid.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all of your help , much appreciated