E-3D to E-3

Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:03 am
Just Joined

masky is an unknown quantity at this point
Question E-3D to E-3

Hi guys,

While on the E-3D if my partner finds a sponsor how does she move on the E-3 visa? does she have to leave the US or this conversion is doable from within the country?

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:25 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3D to E-3

Generally, the person can make the change in the US but once they depart the US (go home for a visit etc) they would need to get a visa in the E-3 classification before returning to the US.

The employer would need to file a Form I-129. The person cannot start work until the petition/application has been approved and has an I-94 in the working classification.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masky
Hi guys,

While on the E-3D if my partner finds a sponsor how does she move on the E-3 visa? does she have to leave the US or this conversion is doable from within the country?

Thanks
Your Partner can work on an E3D visa. All they need to do is apply for an Employment Austhorization Document (EAD). However if you change employer they will need to get a new E3D or E3 visa.

They can get there own E3 visa if they qualify but why go through the pain if they can work while on the E3D visa.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shorrock
Your Partner can work on an E3D visa. All they need to do is apply for an Employment Austhorization Document (EAD). However if you change employer they will need to get a new E3D or E3 visa.

They can get there own E3 visa if they qualify but why go through the pain if they can work while on the E3D visa.
Perhaps because 2 E-3's are better than one. Either of the spouse can transfer to derivative working status in case one loses their job....