Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by hepsquith
... is there any consensus on the possibility of denial for a first-time e-3 in Nassau?
I don't believe there is a consensus, no.

Is the denial just for the interview, or also the visa itself?
It could be one, or the other.

Assuming the former, if they grant me the interview can i assume that they won't deny the interview?
Do you mean "won't deny the visa"? That's the only way your question makes sense! That said, you can't make that assumption.

But what are the risk factors? i.e The company is a new company, i don't have a degree, but i do have experience.
The risk factors are the same whether you're interviewing in Sydney or in Nassau. If you wouldn't qualify in Sydney, you won't qualify in Nassau.

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2013, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

hepsquith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't believe there is a consensus, no.

It could be one, or the other.

Do you mean "won't deny the visa"? That's the only way your question makes sense! That said, you can't make that assumption.

The risk factors are the same whether you're interviewing in Sydney or in Nassau. If you wouldn't qualify in Sydney, you won't qualify in Nassau.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I did mean "won't deny the interview". I was wondering whether even if you book an appointment, they could then deny the interview when i actually turn up, because i am not resident in Nassau. This was based on my confusion about what people mean by denial; visa or interview. Sorry i didn't express that too well.

In the interests of this thread, i wrote to the Bahamas consulate asking if they were issuing first time e-3 visas, i received this reply:

The U.S. Embassy in Nassau, The Bahamas, accepts student and employment -based visa applications from residents of The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands. The U.S. Embassy also accepts renewal (with no change in employer or job status) visa applications from non-residents of The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands only when the original visa was issued in his or her home country. First time, non-resident applicants are requested to apply for these visas in their home countries. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Required Documentation by Category:
Note that a PDF copy of all required documentation must be e-mailed five days in advance of your appointment date to [email protected] .
E3: Australian Specialty Occupation
  • DS-160 Confirmation Sheet
  • Valid Australian Passport
  • One Passport Sized Photo
  • Older passports containing previous visas.
  • Non-refundable U.S. Visa Application Fee.
  • Approved Labor Certification Application (Form 9035) with attestations by the sponsoring employer related to wages and working conditions, filed with and approved by the Secretary of Labor or his designee
  • Job offer letter from the prospective U.S. employer.
  • Proof of appropriate credentials if required for the position (licenses, degrees, etc. must be originals or certified copies
  • Proof of educational diplomas needed for the position.
Please NOTE: A visa application or appointment does not equal visa eligibility. Certain applicants require additional, lengthy review, which may significantly delay travel to the United States by days, weeks or even months and would require the applicant to seek permission from the Government of The Bahamas to remain in the country while processing occurs. Some applicants may simply be ineligible. The applicant bears all responsibility for qualifying for a visa. There is no prescreening, interim visa or expedited processing. By seeking a visa in The Bahamas you confirm that you understand, agree to, and accept full and sole responsibility for the outcome of your visa application. Successful applicants for work related visas should expect that it may take twenty-four hours to several days for a visa to be issued, depending on processing time required. None of these times are guaranteed and all applicants should expect delays. Ineligible applicants cannot travel to the United States, even if they came from the United States and hold a still-valid Arrival and Departure Record (I-94).
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hepsquith
Thanks Ian, I did mean "won't deny the interview". I was wondering whether even if you book an appointment, they could then deny the interview when i actually turn up, because i am not resident in Nassau. This was based on my confusion about what people mean by denial; visa or interview. Sorry i didn't express that too well.

In the interests of this thread, i wrote to the Bahamas consulate asking if they were issuing first time e-3 visas, i received this reply:
It appears that Nassau is back to processing e-3s which is handy. They still have collection for non-residents which is the best part about Nassau.

If you are worried about first-time processing out of Australia, Bridgetown (Barbados) processes first-time e-3s.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dpaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Anyone done a change from E3D to E3? the missus is planning to go back to Melbourne to get her first E3, was wondering if anyone else had done the same and could share their experience. I expect that this will be just like any other standard first time E3 so LCA, DS160, documentation, job etc.
She is doing this because of delays in EAD processing.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dpaks
She is doing this because of delays in EAD processing.
How long has it been since she applied? Wouldn't an InfoPass appointment be more convenient?

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Dpaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian,
Long story short, this is infact an alteration (end date) to existing EAD going on from Jan this year ... the request was lost once and then a little back and forth on required documentation and now it is come to a stage where she has to stop working. Considering all of this and the potential for future issues with EAD processing, we just felt it was a better option to go with her own E3.
Besides, with young kids it is a little hard to plan for any changes to my work and associated E3 visa and how the whole family has to evacuate in 10 days !

How long has it been since she applied? Wouldn't an InfoPass appointment be more convenient?

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dpaks
Long story short, this is infact an alteration (end date) to existing EAD going on from Jan this year ... the request was lost once and then a little back and forth on required documentation and now it is come to a stage where she has to stop working.
She can simply reapply if she wants. As for stopping work, it's the employer who would get into trouble if the company was audited... nothing bad would happen to your wife - and certainly nothing negative with respect to US immigration.

Considering all of this and the potential for future issues with EAD processing, we just felt it was a better option to go with her own E3.
Ah... fair enough! Well then - assuming she has a US company willing to sponsor her, it's a fairly straight-forward process.

Ian
Old Jun 29th 2013, 2:42 am
Just Joined

brainstorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
Thanks to all the people helping out new members I am interested in working in the US in the IT sector on E3 visa & I had a question.
What sort of previous work experience documents do US companies look for before employing someone?( If I can know any particular documents, then I can arrange that from some previous employers)

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brainstorm
What sort of previous work experience documents do US companies look for before employing someone?
Since you ask, US companies usually look for progressive US work experience. If you have no US experience, then you'd better be damned good at what you do... else why would a US employer spend many thousands of $$ to sponsor you for a visa?

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:13 am
Just Joined

chexton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I have read a lot of this thread so I apologize if this has been answered.

I have an E3 valid until March 2014 that I used to enter the US in April 2012. I worked for a company in the US for a 3-4 month period before returning home to work for an Australian Pty Ltd company. I.e. I left the US and no longer work for the company there.

I am about to travel back to the US for a holiday, for two weeks. I rang the US consulate in Australia around a month ago and asked if I could enter on the VWP and the answer was yes. Apparently I needn't file any other paperwork, etc.

I went to apply for an ESTA today and can see I have a valid ESTA until March 2014 (clearly thanks to my Visa). Since then I've been doing a little more reading and, although you'd imagine the US Consulate is the source of all truth, I've found a few conflicting ideas. Am curious if anyone has been in a similar position to me and, if so, should I have filed something that changed my status that I have not? Will I have trouble re-entering if I try and enter under the valid ESTA - i.e. will they see my E3, question where I've been and refuse me entry.

In terms of details:

- I have a valid E3 in my passport.
- I did not fill out any forms / file any forms at the time. As far as the US is concerned I cannot see how they would see me as employed / not employed (particularly as far as the immigration desk is concerned).
- I *do* have a return ticket to Australia. Am actually entering from London, spending some time in NYC and SF where I have friends and leaving from SF > SYD two weeks later.
- I *also* have a British Passport. I've applied for an ESTA with that, as I figure perhaps that's a better route (might be hassle free?)

Any help appreciated and I do intend to call the US consulate again, though it's going to be a little tricky given I'm currently traveling in South Africa!

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chexton
I went to apply for an ESTA today and can see I have a valid ESTA until March 2014 (clearly thanks to my Visa).
I'd be surprised to find that the two are related... but stranger things have happened.

... although you'd imagine the US Consulate is the source of all truth...
I would never make that assumption - and you shouldn't either!

... should I have filed something that changed my status that I have not?
No.

Will I have trouble re-entering if I try and enter under the valid ESTA - i.e. will they see my E3, question where I've been and refuse me entry.
You shouldn't have any problem entering on the VWP (ESTA is travel authorization only... you'd be entering the US on the Visa Waiver Program). If there is any question, you can simply tell them that you no longer work for your E-3 sponsor. I seriously doubt you'd be refused entry.

I have a valid E3 in my passport.
No, you don't. Your visa became invalid the day you stopped working for your E-3 sponsor.

I do intend to call the US consulate again...
With respect, that'd be a waste of time. The CBP officer who will see you at the US port of entry does not work for the US Department of State. Any information you receive from the US Consulate should be treated as questionable... and, at any rate, would be useless to you when speaking to a CBP officer.

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

rouge_homme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

A great wealth of information in this thread for which I am most grateful. I couldn't find a specific answer to the following question, so please point me in the right direction if it has been asked before.

I am currently working in the USA on an E-3 visa and my fiancee is also here on a J-1 visa, which is valid until the end of September 2013. We will be getting married in August, after which she will be applying for the E-3D dependent visa.

My question is whether she is able to remain in the USA and simply apply for a change of status by filing an I-539 or whether it is better to leave the country and apply for the E-3D at a foreign consulate?

If it is advisable to apply for the visa at the consulate, can this be done in a nearby country (Canada, Mexico, Bahamas etc.) or will she need to return to Australia to complete the application?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rouge_homme
My question is whether she is able to remain in the USA and simply apply for a change of status by filing an I-539 or whether it is better to leave the country and apply for the E-3D at a foreign consulate?
If she is already in the country legally, she can apply for a change of status... she shouldn't need to leave the country. Then again, if she has the 2-year HRR, then she must either fulfill that obligation or get a waiver of the obligation.

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that a change of status will make any international travel annoying: she would need to get the E-3D visa sticker before she could re-enter. My vote would be for a quick trip to Canada (assuming no HRR).
Old Jul 7th 2013, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

rouge_homme is an unknown quantity at this point

If she is already in the country legally, she can apply for a change of status... she shouldn't need to leave the country. Then again, if she has the 2-year HRR, then she must either fulfill that obligation or get a waiver of the obligation.
Thanks Ian, she doesn't have the 2-year HRR so that won't be an issue.

Originally Posted by retzie
Be aware that a change of status will make any international travel annoying: she would need to get the E-3D visa sticker before she could re-enter. My vote would be for a quick trip to Canada (assuming no HRR).
Thank Retzie, do you know how long it usually takes to get the E-3D visa sticker? Also, is it safe to assume that a consulate in Canada will issue a first time E-3D?

I have also read that Barbados could be a viable option for first time E-3's so I assume this would extend to dependent visas as well?

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.